Great Eastern Traverse

22 Feb 2016 11:15 #67108 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Great Eastern Traverse

Stijn wrote: Based on a rough Google Earth track measurement, looks like he covered close to 40km on his first day, over 14 hours from 4:30am to 18:30pm. Good going with a 17kg pack and all those Khulus!

It was a rather epic start! My guess is that he'll reach Ifidi Cave today.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 11:53 #67109 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Great Eastern Traverse

ghaznavid wrote: Andrew is closing in on his 4th khulu for the day already! He is on his way up The Palisades right now. It looks like he already has:
Metjhantijane
Kgotjwane Spons
Kgotjwane Peak

From there I assume he'll tag Kgotjwane East before dropping down to the south and camping for the night. Not sure why he left the Spons ridge to bag Kgotjwane Peak, and then returned to it - I'm sure we'll hear why later!

[update] looks like he stopped below Palisades. He has covered a lot of ground on day 1, tomorrow the khulu-bagging should properly begin!

I don't have his itinerary, but my guess is that he will hit Giants by Sunday next week, and Knuckles by the following Saturday (13 days).

My 3000th post - so my profile now has khulu status :P :laugh:

I was waiting for that one to come around for you, Ghaz. Glad you commented and didn't let us all down! :laugh:

More
22 Feb 2016 12:56 - 22 Feb 2016 18:09 #67110 by ghaznavid
Day 2 continued

I would normally just modify the previous entry with updates - but seeing as it is on the previous page...

Andrew has bagged Tongue and is now backtracking to Namahadi. I suspect we will see some detouring into Lesotho here - there are some 3300+m Lesotho peaks in the area. Namahadi will be his 16th.

4PM update: After Namahadi - Andrew has begun to head inland towards Afriski. This will be part of his goal of tagging 3300m Lesotho peaks. It will be interesting to see if he goes east to Ifidi area, south to Ntonjelana or north back to finish up the Free State khulus.

6PM update: Looks like he is overnighting at Afriski. Interesting move - at least we know he isn't bailing, he would have gone to the chain ladders.

Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 18:09 by ghaznavid. Reason: didn't know you could "multi-bold" - that's pretty cool!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Murray, Biomech

More
22 Feb 2016 12:59 #67111 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Great Eastern Traverse
Hi guys, maybe I missed the post, but where will he finish and what will the approximate distance be? 20 days of food!!

More
22 Feb 2016 13:12 #67112 by ghaznavid

Murray wrote: Hi guys, maybe I missed the post, but where will he finish and what will the approximate distance be? 20 days of food!!

I believe he will be finishing somewhere near Rhodes/Tiffindell in the Eastern Cape. I am rating he will be around 1000km - the distance normally wouldn't be much more than 600km, but you add 1km for the average khulu, but khulus like Ngaqamadolo, Knuckles etc require big detours - and double ridges add tons of extra distance (e.g. Nkososana and Cowl View, Tongue and Namahadi, Giants and Lotheni etc).

The following user(s) said Thank You: Murray, Biomech

More
22 Feb 2016 13:40 #67113 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Great Eastern Traverse
I believe his goal is to end with the SkyRun route in reverse to finish in Lady Grey!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, Murray

More
22 Feb 2016 13:51 #67114 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Great Eastern Traverse
Thanks, will be following him closely!

We are planning a fast DGT (6 days) in a month's time but will try to miss all the khulus :laugh:

More
22 Feb 2016 21:11 #67122 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Great Eastern Traverse
:hike: :hike: :hike:

All our best wishes on your great adventure in our beautiful Berg. Be swift and be safe..

We will be watching as close as the satellite cover allows!

More
23 Feb 2016 07:07 #67126 by Coeta
Replied by Coeta on topic Great Eastern Traverse
Was Afriski a resupply detour? Or part of the plan?

More
23 Feb 2016 07:14 #67128 by ghaznavid
I know he planned on getting some peaks near there, and that he wasn't going to get a resupply. Plans could have changed though.

Personally - my money is a warm breakfast at Afriski!

More