Great Eastern Traverse

23 Feb 2016 08:07 #67131 by Coeta
Replied by Coeta on topic Great Eastern Traverse

ghaznavid wrote: I know he planned on getting some peaks near there, and that he wasn't going to get a resupply. Plans could have changed though.

Personally - my money is a warm breakfast at Afriski!

I actually hope he did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2016 10:46 - 23 Feb 2016 16:09 #67137 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Great Eastern Traverse
Day 3: Andrew is heading south - on his previous hikes he has done all the khulus at RNNP and the non-technical ones at Mnweni north of Nguza Pass. My guess is that he will head to the escarpment behind Nguza Pass. He will no doubt want to get the Saddle Rises - and probably North Saddle as well. If he doesn't, there is a good chance I will beat him in the race to bag all the non-technical Mnweni khulus - and he can't let that happen :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11:30 update: And my guess was wrong, Andrew is still heading south. Perhaps he means to bypass everything till Mokhotlong?

13:15 update: I'm not even going to pretend to guess what Andrew is up to! He is somewhere in the middle of nowhere. My guess is that he will hook up with the Makheka Ridge and go inland from there - but anything is possible.

16:10 update: And Andrew is on his way back towards RNNP, after what has been an epic detour. Looks like this will be the longest Andrew has taken to reach the top of the Chain Ladders on a GT, irrespective of direction. :lol:

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins
Last edit: 23 Feb 2016 16:09 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biomech

More
23 Feb 2016 19:03 #67149 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Great Eastern Traverse
Looks like Andrew is back at Afriski.

Ghaz, what are the rules in respect of an "unsupported" traverse? For example, would dining (or indeed re-stocking) at Sani Top count as "unsupported" in a DGT?

More
23 Feb 2016 19:11 #67150 by ghaznavid
When Andrew and I did that unsupported 5 day GT last year, he told me that using the bathrooms at Sani doesn't count as "unsupported".

The rules for a khulu bagging GT never specified that being unsupported was a requirement. I did lay down some proposed rules before anyone really thought this record was viable - but seeing as I didn't follow all of them on my 67 khulu GT, I really can't comment on those anyway!

More
23 Feb 2016 19:18 #67151 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Great Eastern Traverse
Points both taken!

More
24 Feb 2016 07:22 #67154 by ghaznavid
Day 4:

7:20 Andrew seems to be on his way back to Namahadi - that detour must have totalled around 80km. He should now be well on track to take the longest GT by kms hiked record!

More
24 Feb 2016 07:51 #67157 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Great Eastern Traverse
It's not really a GT anymore though, is it... more like a massive ramble through Lesotho that happens to include a GT along the way!

More
24 Feb 2016 08:24 #67171 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Great Eastern Traverse

Biomech wrote: Looks like Andrew is back at Afriski.

Ghaz, what are the rules in respect of an "unsupported" traverse? For example, would dining (or indeed re-stocking) at Sani Top count as "unsupported" in a DGT?

You would need to carry all your own food etc for the entire trip to call it that, otherwise it wouldn't be unsupported.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
24 Feb 2016 08:25 #67172 by ghaznavid
My yet-to-be-debated rules for a khulu bagging GT require the following to qualify as a khulu bagging GT:
- You must either cross the Tugela above Tugela Falls, or summit Mont-Aux-Sources;
- You must pass through a point within 1km of Long Wall Peak;
- You must pass through a point within 1km of Walkers Peak;
- You may not have more than 2 resupplies (buying goods from a local market does not count as a resupply and may be done as often as you like) ; and
- The time limit is 14 days.

In light of the epicness of what Andrew is doing, I am happy for the second 2 to come off the list - and I rate he will do the first 3 anyway.

But there are no defined rules for the longest GT (that I know of) - I believe it is just accepted as what Thomas Wimber did when he did something similar to Andrew many years ago (minus the khulus).

More
24 Feb 2016 08:30 - 24 Feb 2016 10:25 #67173 by ghaznavid

Viking wrote: You would need to carry all your own food etc for the entire trip to call it that, otherwise it wouldn't be unsupported.

You are allowed to leave your pack unattended while you do something else (we did this on Giants Castle), but leaving it at Afriski won't count as unsupported.

Andrew explained what is accepted as "unsupported" as follows:
You may only use items that you are carrying and be supported by what is naturally there.

Examples of what is not unsupported:
* Any form of stashes
* Ressuplies
* Using a vacant kraal
* Using the bathrooms at Sani
* Carrying a 340ml rock to Sani and dropping it when you buy a beer there
* Having a contingency team waiting for you on the route in case things go wrong
* Throwing your litter in a rubbish bin as you walk past
* Littering in general

Examples of what you can do:
* Carry a gun to hunt for your meal
* Collect water from rivers
* Use trails or roads that exist up there
* Use existing permanent via ferratas such as the chain ladders

Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 10:25 by ghaznavid.

More