Sleeping bags

30 Oct 2019 12:13 #75416 by Artem
Replied by Artem on topic Sleeping bags
Thank you  Riaang  for so comprehensive response and advice !
I'll take  The North Face Guide 20  to test it by summer Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 13:48 #75419 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Sleeping bags

Riaang wrote: Last year January a couple of us did a 4 day hike in the Mnweni and Cathedral Peak area. On the Friday, we hit 39 degrees with high humidity on the approach to Ifidi pass. Two days later, I was shivering in Easter cave from the cold. It was rainy, wet and the wind was pumping. Even though I had my down jacket on and wore my windproof outer layer over the jacket, it was very cold and I was happy to be able to climb into a warm sleeping bag.

That was cold yes. If I recall my bag is rated to -7 and I slept at the back of the cave, in my bivi bag too as I see from the photos. Agreed with Riaan. Things change quickly. And if too hot, I sleep with the zip mostly open. Rather be slightly over gunned.

More
18 Feb 2020 14:41 #75709 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Sleeping bags
Hi.

Anyone have experience with this bag (linked below), the Mammut Kompakt 3-season Down?
On paper specs seems grand, EN ratings, RSD, 700fill, etc.
The 3-season looks decidedly European with comfort/limit/extreme at 1 / -7 / -25 C.
All at 1kg and compressed down to 5.8L, (almost half of FA Ice Breaker, to my calculations).
Sweet.

Looking at my first 'serious' bag and other than an import (e.g. via travelling friend) this one available locally seduces.
Thoughts, or actual experience, anyone?

Thanks.
c.

www.mammut.com/int/en/p/2410-01702-2157/kompakt-down-3-season/

More
18 Feb 2020 15:21 #75710 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Sleeping bags
This is a really nice bag.. the only thing I would consider is that a lot of companies are using treated down that makes the down / bag water resistant in wet environments. Weight is also good but not best if you spending money you may want to look at Marmot product or other bags which are lighter and water resistant. The US market has a lot of options..

More
Yesterday 08:31 #75712 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Sleeping bags
@ASL

Yup. This seems to be the advised approach...get one from overseas, greater choice etc. US market is insane. Had a look at Marmot, some great kit. Of course Mountain Equipment too and all the other usual suspects. I actually went and climbed into this Mammut bag yesterday at City Rock, lasted about 30secs before beading sweat on my brow. Very toasty.

I guess the thing is I just don't want to end up buying several bags over the next 5-10yrs, so being a bit pedantic to 'get it right' now.
Not a great consumer. Unless it's watermelon.

anyway, thanks.
c.

More