Sleeping bags

25 Apr 2021 13:17 #76790 by DanielJNaude
Replied by DanielJNaude on topic Sleeping bags
Hi All,
I will be doing a trip to Grays pass this June and I don't have a suitable sleeping bag. I don't have a huge budget but from the reading i've done online it seems like I should't skimp when it comes to a sleeping bag. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options out there so I would appreciate some advice from someone that has been in the berg during peak winter season.

I have been thinking of getting the K-Way Expedition Series Kilimanjaro 3 www.capeunionmart.co.za/products/k-way-expedition-series-kilimanjaro-3-thermashift-sleeping-bag/127430-0727.html 
Is this overkill? Are there better bags for the price I should rather be looking at?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2021 11:14 #76792 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Sleeping bags
I have 2 of these bags that I just use for camping now. If I recall they rated at -5 deg comfort

More
26 Apr 2021 12:04 #76793 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Sleeping bags
Your link doesn't give details regarding the temp ratings. Strange that they don't advertise this fact, as it is critical for berg temperatures.
The coldest night I've had was a -14 deg up at Giants Castle. So yes, it can get cold. Whatever bag you take, be mindful of these sort of temperatures. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it pays to be prepared.

More
28 Apr 2021 17:19 #76815 by riaan300
Replied by riaan300 on topic Sleeping bags
I have this bag, Have used it on many hikes in the Drakensberg and I am very happy with it. Its about 400g heavier than bags from First Ascent and North Face and another this is, it doesn't compress as much.I have had this bag around the -5'c and slept like a baby. The bag is just over 3 years old and haven't had any quality issues with it.

happy with my CUM sleeping bag

More