GPS units

25 Jan 2017 09:57 #70754 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic GPS units

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2017 12:13 #70759 by MarkT
Replied by MarkT on topic GPS units
That thing is awesome, but how much does a satellite phone network subscription cost?

More
06 Feb 2017 10:28 #70831 by DavidE373
Replied by DavidE373 on topic GPS units
I'm going to be lazy and avoid trying to sift through the 20 pages here..

Has anyone used an Edge 800 (or similar bicycle specific GPS) to navigate in the berg? It's listed as a compatible device for the latest topo rec maps from Garmin.

Fortitudine Vincimus

More
07 Dec 2021 18:15 #77349 by Wind
Replied by Wind on topic GPS units
Hi I am planning on buying the garmin etrex 22x to use as my gps but does any one perhaps have any other good suggestions that can also be used

More
08 Dec 2021 10:22 #77353 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic GPS units
Here's what I use/have used and my personal experience and opinion. Others may differ.

Smaller is better
Lighter is better
Longer battery life is better
External antennae is better
Buttons are better than touch screen.

Touch screen becomes more unresponsive when it gets colder. My Montana touch screen device is heavy, big and has a touch screen. Difficult to get it to work in the cold and forget about using it with thick gloves. No such problems with a GPS with push buttons. Also, in rain I've wiped icons off the screen when trying to wipe water drops off the screen. Super annoying when your'e lost in the rain and freezing cold, and now you have to figure out how to get your icons back on the screen.

External antennae is best. My wife has a Garmap 64S (pushbutton, smaller colour screen, long battery life) and this is our go-to navigation device when we are feeling lost (note: we are never lost, we are just temporarily disorientated :-))

I also use my Fenix 6 and my wife uses her Suunto 9, both are ok for navigation but I've found that the altitude readings on these GPS watches are not very accurate. On our previous trip in the Didima area, we had about a 70m asl difference between the Suunto, 2 Fenix 6's and a Fenix 3 watch. This may not sound like much - until you are trying to find a cave in the dark, mist or rain and you have little visibility.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeterHowells, Iano2, Wind

More
08 Dec 2021 16:05 #77356 by Beard
Replied by Beard on topic GPS units
I use Free GAIA App.
With everything, there are PROS and CONS, some of them below:

PROS
Free
Also - its free
no need to buy new device cause its free
if you have decent phone, you dont need a camera and GPS, they are one item
they work only in GPS and thus battery life is awesome on phone (i leave my phone on airplane mode and this no messages and internet access - be in the wild)
screen is bright and responsive
TONS of features and routes worldwide (i love the pin drop to track progress)
no need to download anything and have any Garmin related access

CONS
you have a phone on you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wind

More
15 Dec 2021 09:06 - 15 Dec 2021 09:09 #77370 by PeterHowells
Replied by PeterHowells on topic GPS units
I agree with @Riaang regarding what to look for. I am still using a very old Etrex Legend Cx because it has physical buttons and around 36 hours on lithium batteries. I bought a touchscreen GPS which I sold as the touchscreen did not work for me properly in winter in the Berg.
The Etrex 22x has physical buttons as well as the touchscreen so should be good to go. If you can squeeze it into the budget the 32x is a better unit as it has an altimeter which is super useful in the Berg - GPS altitude is notoriously poor.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2021 09:09 by PeterHowells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iano2, Wind

More