Mattresses / sleeping pads

09 Apr 2013 22:31 #56607 by Josh of the Bushveld
It scored very highly on a lot of the reviews i read.
People are very happy using it in snow and north american winters etc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2013 05:52 - 10 Apr 2013 05:54 #56610 by Serious tribe

Serious tribe wrote: I recently purchaced an Exped 7M, which is a down filled mattress which removes the need for the gapper pad. This brand is not available in SA, but check to see if there is a similar product. Happy shopping!

@Sabine I see that you also have a exped down mattress now. I also saw from the link that it has a bag inflating system called a schnozzel. This is a great enhancement, and fortunately for me, I can get the bag and the adjustment valve needed to help pump my integrated pump system, so that is great news.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2013 05:54 by Serious tribe.

More
18 Mar 2014 14:10 #59904 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Mattresses / sleeping pads
I'd like to find out from all those who use self inflating / inflatable sleeping pads how much of an issue punctures are during general hiking use? I'm considering upgrading from the ol foam mat, as any kind of additional comfort at the bottom of a cave floor is sounding quite appealing, but not so if punctures are going to be reasonably common occurrences.

To those that use these pads, have you had issues with punctures? Do you always carry a puncture repair kit? And are the punctures reasonably quick/simple to patch whilst on a trip?

Thanks for any advice!

More
18 Mar 2014 14:17 #59905 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Mattresses / sleeping pads
Hi JW
I've used a thermarest for >10 yrs in the Berg - cave sleeping not tenting, so exposed to sharp stuff - with no punctures ever. I don't ever take a puncture kit.
I did use the thermarest once in Namibia, near Spitzkoppe and clocked up more than 15 punctures which spelled the end of that particular thermarest. But Berg = no worries in my experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells

More
18 Mar 2014 14:23 #59906 by ghaznavid
Centenary Hut put a hole in mine. But I had used mine on cave floors with just a space blanket on many occasions without any trouble.

You can always use both a foam mat and a self inflating together - that way punctures won't be an issue.

I would go for an air mattress without foam rather than a self inflating. They aren't as warm, but are marginally lighter, much more comfortable and fold up much smaller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells

More
19 Mar 2014 17:25 #59921 by relevitt
Replied by relevitt on topic Mattresses / sleeping pads
Contemplating getting xtherm mattress, which comes in choice of two sizes: 168cm or 183cm, with negligible (20g) difference in weight. Also contemplating xped air pillow. Air pillow probably best on top of mattress, rather than on ground. I'm a massive 168cm, same size as smaller mattress. Therefore, thinking 183cm mattress is better, to avoid feet on ground. Any views?

More
03 Apr 2014 09:14 #60169 by Josh of the Bushveld

relevitt wrote: Contemplating getting xtherm mattress, which comes in choice of two sizes: 168cm or 183cm, with negligible (20g) difference in weight. Also contemplating xped air pillow. Air pillow probably best on top of mattress, rather than on ground. I'm a massive 168cm, same size as smaller mattress. Therefore, thinking 183cm mattress is better, to avoid feet on ground. Any views?

For 20g, I'd get the bigger pad
The following user(s) said Thank You: relevitt

More
03 Apr 2014 09:22 #60170 by Josh of the Bushveld
The latest Go! Magazine has a small 2-page section on sleeping bags and pads. The K-Way Extreme Lite and Ice Breaker got good reviews :)
Of more interest to me, they have a review of the JR Gear Insulated Traverse Core Mummy sleeping pad, which is sold at Drifters for R800 according to the magazine. The pad has an R-value of 5, which is pretty high, and weighs 570g. Interestingly, it has a PrimaLoft filling, similar to the Exped Downmat's filling of down. To compare, the ThermaRest NeoAir XTherm has an R-value of 5.7 and weighs 425g but costs between USD150-220 depending on size. The Exped DownMat UL 7 has an R-value of 5.9, weighs between 500-850g, and costs USD239-269 depending on size.

I'm pretty sure an R-value of 5 would be good enough for 'Berg winters? Any ideas?

I'd love to know what the R-value for my FA UltraLight is. The ThermaRest ProLite, which I think is similar to the FA UltraLight has an R-value of 2 only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, ruthtbl

More
03 Apr 2014 09:42 - 03 Apr 2014 09:44 #60172 by hikers delight
That JR gear mattress sounds amazing and its 8cm thick. You just need to be careful not to puncture it. An R value of 5 means you won't feel any cold through the mattress, anything higher than 5 actually warms you (I stand under correction, but that is how I understand it).

I have an exped 7 down, 183cm long and its great, weighs 570g, but was very expensive!! If I had waited, I would definitely buy the JR gear mattress.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2014 09:44 by hikers delight.

More
03 Apr 2014 10:14 #60176 by Josh of the Bushveld
Thanks for your thoughts :)
I think I'm gonna go have a look at it this weekend.

More