Hiking Boots

17 Feb 2017 13:17 #70913 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Hiking Boots
Vajolet's :-)

Had a pair, unfortunately just too small on the right foot (pinched my toes) so had to sell them. They are bomb proof!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2017 14:06 - 17 Feb 2017 14:07 #70914 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Hiking Boots

Riaang wrote: Vajolet's :-)

Had a pair, unfortunately just too small on the right foot (pinched my toes) so had to sell them. They are bomb proof!!

Yeah that's the ones! I checked the box in the garage just now. I put Sof Soles inside though. The original inner is hard as rock. Maybe I'm not as tough :)
Last edit: 17 Feb 2017 14:07 by AdrianT. Reason: Grammar

More
17 Feb 2017 15:34 #70915 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Hiking Boots
Hopefully the end of my hiking boot woes, for a while, anyway.

I got a full refund from Bush and Bundu for the Merrells, and got this pair on special because Tibets have been discontinued.
Thanks to the guys from Bush and Bundu for great service and advice.
I am not affiliated to them at all, apart from being a very satisfied customer :)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT, Macc

More
08 Mar 2017 12:00 - 13 Mar 2017 14:58 #71096 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Hiking Boots
I have been using these boots for a while now and they are amazing.
Probably slightly lighter than the popular but difficult to obtain Tibets.

mountainmailorder.co.za/la-sportiva-cornon-gtx-129667.html

I see the price has come down again, making these a great deal, especially if you use your Mountain Club discount!!

I am not connected to MMO in any way, other than the fact that I give them a lot of my money.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 14:58 by Viking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More
13 Mar 2017 14:08 #71134 by euroryan
Replied by euroryan on topic Hiking Boots
Hi

I've seen both these boots mentioned in this forum. Does anybody have any practical experience with them. They both look good and solid?

www.jimgreenfootwear.co.za/shop/men/mens-boots/monster-waterproof/

and

www.redlinefootwear.co.za/?product=african-buffalo-hiking-boot-brown

I need to replace my trusty Karrimor KSBs which lasted me 15 years and many hundreds of kms. The right boot blew out spectacularly descending Cathedral on Sunday, made for an "interesting" afternoon.

Thanks
Ryan

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
14 Mar 2017 16:38 #71137 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Hiking Boots
Hi Ryan

They both look like solid options but you really need to try them on with the socks that you'll be hiking in (don't be tempted to trace your footprint & buy them online/remotely). You need space at your toes but your foot must not slide about sideways. A good footliner can improve fit but only by so much.

If it were me I'd go for the RedLine boots based on negative feedback on Jim Green durability by other VE forumites, plus those moulded soles can be slippery in the wet.

There is no such thing as a waterproof boot, but you can reduce moisture ingress dramatically by treating the stitching and edges with contact adhesive. There are some pretty comprehensive waterproofing techniques somewhere in this hiking boot thread.

make a difference. today.

More
03 Mar 2020 08:21 #75731 by HikerParsons
Replied by HikerParsons on topic Hiking Boots
Hi
I use waterproof hiking boots when hiking.
Any ideas or advice on how to keep your hiking boots dry during a rainy Drakensberg hike. I have used gators etc but my boots still get wet, resulting in soaking wet boots for the remainder of the hike.
Any suggestions on how to get soaking wet hiking boots dry(if that’s possible) during a hike would be appreciated.

More
03 Mar 2020 09:45 #75732 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Hiking Boots
in short, there is nothing that you can do to stop your boots from getting soaked if you hike in the rain, or in wet grass. Only thing that works is to hike in winter :-)

Wet boots are ok, so long as the wetness doesn't get into your boots. Waterproof gaiters or rainpants can assist here, but your typical synthetic (i'm not talking about plastic boots here) or leather boots will unfortunately get wet. Just wear thicker socks to keep the cold out, or thinner socks to get everything to dry out quicker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerParsons

More
03 Mar 2020 15:27 #75735 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Hiking Boots
well a little DWR treatment goes a long way.. I treat my boots every couple of months. In very we grass as Riaan mentioned it's good to wear a gaitor that partially covers the boots and prevents water from getting in the top. I wear boots with a goretex bootie inside and I find it remains waterproof for the first 18 months or so, then starts to leak a bit.

More
05 Mar 2020 15:22 - 05 Mar 2020 15:23 #75742 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Hiking Boots
Always good to treat your boots as ASL says, it does help to keep them shedding some of the water off, and can help with treating the leather, i use nikwax on the nubuck leather of my boots.  They are however gortex lined which helps hugely.  Though i still put on snow gaiters when it is raining or there is a possibility of lots of wet grass hiking.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2020 15:23 by Serious tribe.

More