Hiking Boots

04 Oct 2021 10:04 - 06 Oct 2021 11:07 #77163 by TynanS
Replied by TynanS on topic Hiking Boots
First post here (Hi my name is Ty, and I like to party) and I'm asking for gear tips, my actual question in bold at the bottom, my current footgear review at the top of the post 

This image is hidden for guests.

My girlfriend and I normally hike in Adidas Terrex AX3 Mid's.

Personally these have been amazing for us, quick drying, we don't have any issues with blisters, lightweight, and comfort right out the box.

We have each put over 1000km's on our current pairs - I did the math! Mine is a slightly older model bought during a Black Friday frenzy and has not looked as pretty as hers.

They are still going, although my pair has started to look like the dogs got a hold of them, and the tread has reached end of days - the Cape mountains and hiking predominantly off-trail has been a tough like for them.

We hike mainly with anklet gaiters.

Sadly, I've tried everywhere and cannot find stock in my size anymore, there appears to be a shortage ongoing for a few months already, so I have to look at other options, as we are flying up to tackle Mafadi and Champagne Castle later this month.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hi-Tec Geo Trail Pro Vent Mid's?

I prefer mid, trail style shoes over leathers, so I figured I'd see what people have to say about these guys, or alternatives. I'd prefer not to spend Salomon Ultra X 4 money right now!

Peace

Edited to follow up on the above:

For anyone interested, I checked out the Geo-Trails instore and ordered a pair (signed up for the Newsletter to get the discount - R1104 and a few cents).

They are true to size and felt comfortable with enough room for foot swell, without being spacious. No awkward pressure or scratchy bits.

The grip felt decent, but time will test that.

They feel more like a boot adapted into a trail shoe rather than vice versa (the Terrex AX3's mid vs shoe version are virtually identical minus the additional ankle protection, and feel more like a shoe, which is great when you alternate between trekking and occasional running)

The laces that they come with are a bit shorter than I'd like - I prefer a bit more slack for easy double tying and tucking my laces under, but that can be resolved easily.

The primary concern is the amount of exposed mesh around the front sides of the boot where tears normally begin in my experience, but I'll put them through their paces on a Du Toit's Peak to Goudini Traverse this weekend if they arrive in time, then Grootwinterhoek, before Mafadi and Champagne Castle at the end of the month. I should be able to give a better assessment after that with regards to durability and wet conditions.

All in all, I'd say I'm hopeful, but not putting crazy expectations on them to match the Terrex's. (I have no affiliation to Adidas or Hi-Tec, so expect a lot of cussing or praise if they perform well, can't complain at the price point.)

Last edit: 06 Oct 2021 11:07 by TynanS. Reason: Additional information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2021 11:34 #77164 by grae22
Replied by grae22 on topic Hiking Boots
Hey Ty

The Geo Trail Pros look like an evolution of an earlier model Hitec made around 2016 - I don't recall the model name, but I've had them for ~6 years and have covered plenty of ground in the Berg. They are very comfortable (never had blisters) and excellent on technical terrain, but they do have Vibram soles which Hitec no longer seem to use.

I would definitely be interested to see a pair of Geo Trail Pros in the flesh and get a feel for how robust they are. My concerns would be that they're pretty cheap (my current pair cost ~R1600 on sale, back in 2016) and I don't have any experience with Hitec's "M-D traction" soles.

- Graeme
The following user(s) said Thank You: TynanS

More
04 Oct 2021 13:06 #77166 by TynanS
Hi Graeme,

I appreciate your feedback, that's great value on your shoes!

For the Geo's, the quality is definitely my main concern at that price, sometimes too good to be true, is too good to be true.

I'll head down to a Hi-Tec store, check them out and report back later this week.

In theory, they look good, but hopefully somebody with recent experience with them reports back as well - they will be a bargain if they can stand up to the task!

More
08 Dec 2021 07:57 #77352 by grae22
To close the loop on those Geos - having worn the soles of my current boots smooth (so they're great on dry rock... not so much on grass and mud

) I was in the market for another pair of synthetic mid boots with good breathability (don't care about "waterproof") and a vibram (or similar) sole. Slim pickings on the local market and I'm not too interested in ordering from overseas. There are some "low"/"trail runner" options, but I don't like them for carrying heavier loads (climbing gear, etc.).

So, I had a look at the Geos - they seem like a perfectly good entry level boot, but I don't think they'd last terribly long doing high Berg work unless you're sticking to easy, well trodden paths (Langies etc.).

I settled on a pair of Kway Edge 3's (affordable mid boot with a vibram sole) - they're not particularly well padded (ankle area), but probably good enough. I have some doubts as to how robust they are (predominantly single stitched) and the first thing I did was fit the lace eyelets with metal grommets (seems criminal to sell hiking boots without reinforced eyelets

)... but, we'll see

More
11 Jan 2022 09:35 #77420 by TynanS
Thanks for the follow up, I've also looked at the KWAY's, curious to hear how they treat you!

On the topic of the Geo's, I've now had enough time to give an update on them.
  • Out the box comfort has held true. I got no blisters or foot issues compared to the group that I was with, and they and performed very well on our Mafadi mission (Injisuthi to Centenary Hut - Corner Pass to Injisuthi Summit Cave - Leslie's Pass Marble Baths Campsite) as well as other hikes, with a very comfortable insole.
  • They are the opposite of waterproof. I swear if a blade of moist grass even looks at them, you'll feel the wet seep through.
  • Breathability is good and they do dry quickly, which for me at least, negates the previous point and is why I prefer trail shoes over leathers as no matter the boot, eventually you get wet and I'd rather have something that dries well. I have not experienced any odor issues to date and they do get wet often.
  • The lacing system is not my favorite, awkward to cinch in tight so takes a minute more putting them on, but at least the laces are durable and once tied correctly they fit well.
  • Grip has been fine in most scenarios, although they don't do well on slippery wet rocks, not that many shoes/ boots ever do.
  • I always use anklet gaiters, and with these boots I haven't found much sand and debris getting inside my boots, between the gaiters and the boot itself, they've been very good at keeping the itchy scratchy stuff out.
  • In Winter, I would not recommend in prolonged snow conditions. When we had just been rained on and were wet, it started snowing on the escarpment, and I wished for my Terrex AX3's which handle the snow better while still being a trail shoe and providing better protection against chilly winds.
  • Durability is the main issue, although I find it acceptable at the price point and for what I put them through.
  • The toe on one boot showed the first signs of delaminating (just a bit) at around 90km of extremely wet hiking, including plenty of time submerged in rivers and flooded paths. The side text logo also left the boot rather quickly, even if it's cosmetic, it's worth noting.
  • The mesh on one boot showed signs of starting to tear near where the foot bends also around 90km. It wasn't egregious, but I don't like seeing wear in that area, that early on. 
  • I went to Hi-Tec and they replaced them with another new pair, no questions asked.
  • All-in-all, I'm happy with them and expect them to survive at least 400 - 600km if cared for well, another couple hundred km's if you don't mind looking scruffy.
  • Would I buy again? Ask me in 6-months XD
The following user(s) said Thank You: grae22

More
18 Jan 2022 14:34 #77434 by grae22
I'm sure the Salomons are good, but I can't help but feel they're a little $$$ for what you're getting.

I have the x-ultra 4 low version and they're not bad - the heel isn't very comfortable, though. Grip-wise they're pretty good, but definitely not as good as a Vibram sole for technical rock.

Unfortunately, both those Salomon offerings contain leather - which, personally, I avoid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

More