Rainbow Gorge

26 Jul 2021 17:09 #77066 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Rainbow Gorge
Yup, you can get up a very steep bank on the north side, but going up Rainbow gorge with a full pack will be quite slow going. There are many small gaps and little scrambles to get up/through, and if you go in summer you might also get quite wet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2021 18:29 #77067 by GDvanAswegen
Replied by GDvanAswegen on topic Rainbow Gorge
Excellent. Thank you for the info. I'm planning the hike the first week of Sept. I've been in the Berg on so many hikes, but have never been in the Rainbow gorge. Would you say it will be worth the effort? Thanks

More
26 Jul 2021 18:45 #77068 by Smurfatefrog
Yup, its a really awesome spot! It does take quite a while though, allow at least 1.5 hours for the 5km from Didima to the boulder

More
27 Jul 2021 09:40 #77069 by GDvanAswegen
Thanks. Last question if you can indulge me. I assume the small gaps and little scrambles to get up/through that you are referring to are beyond the chockstone?  

More
27 Jul 2021 10:12 #77070 by Smurfatefrog
Nope, before.
I haven't personally been beyond it.
This is the main one I am referring to, I assume there it a way around it though, which might involve walking in the river

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
27 Jul 2021 16:49 #77072 by GDvanAswegen
Thanks

More
01 Aug 2021 10:37 - 01 Aug 2021 10:49 #77073 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Rainbow Gorge

Hi, does anyone know if you can continue up Rainbow Gorge and if there is some escape onto Kleinberg, or will one have to come back down before heading up Tryme Hill. I want to do a 4 day hike onto the escarpment and thought of adding Rainbow Gorge for some scenery, but not keen to re-track before ascending Kleinberg. 
Thanks

Thanks for asking this question. Also not having done Rainbow Gorge before , I had originally planned to enter the Gorge from the south side of Tryme Hill (coming from the contour path) for the change of scenery as well as an alternative to descending that last eroded section of Tryme . Whilst planning I found the same track on Gaia, my Garmin Fenix map as well as Basecamp. During our hike in early July, upon reaching the junction (as indicated below) we however saw no resemblance of any path going down and being pressed for time we decided against it and just continued down the "standard" route.

I am even more intrigued by this connection now and will try and work it into a future hike (where more time is available and probably when the water levels are low). Thanks @ Smurfatefrog for verifying that it is indeed possible. 

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 01 Aug 2021 10:49 by supertramp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDvanAswegen

More
09 Aug 2021 12:25 #77080 by GDvanAswegen
We will explore a bit and also try to record the "escape" route and share if successful 

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

More
19 Aug 2021 11:58 - 19 Aug 2021 12:05 #77105 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Rainbow Gorge
I have done the rainbow gorge walk with an escape up the northern slopes as a day hike in winter to see how far we could go, but we still had to wade and the escape was trickyish.
As Smurf mentions it would be tricky with backpacks but not impossible.
I have attached my route screenshot if it helps 

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 19 Aug 2021 12:05 by Viking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, tonymarshall, supertramp

More