Round trip Tseketseke.

03 Feb 2021 07:54 #76484 by Deon 1
Our planned route is : Day one . Tseketseke hut .
two . Tseketseke pass.
three. Twins cave .
four . Back.

Is this way round the best or up Mlambonja Pass better ?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. Deon .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2021 08:12 #76485 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Round trip Tseketseke.
Days 2 and 3 will be very short.
Not sure where you plan to camp on night 2 though?

Day 4 will be the longest.

Another option:
Tseke hut
Up Tseke Pass to Twins cave
Down Mlambonja pass, tent at the base (very short day)
Back out

More
03 Feb 2021 11:17 - 03 Feb 2021 11:18 #76486 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Round trip Tseketseke.
Hi Deon 1

I agree with Smurfatefrog, on a very short day 3. Here's a couple of options for you:
D1: Camp to Tseke hut
D2: Up Tseke pass to the escarpment. For a nice day's walking, why not turn South and head to Rolands cave or any of the Ndumeni caves around Ndumeni dome. They are not far from the Tseke Passhead and will give you a couple of lekker ridges to climb and see more of the Berg.
D3: Trek from Rolands cave area North over the escarpment, pass Tseke passhead all the way to Twins cave (or Easter cave if you want to stay on the escarpment. This will give you a longer D4 with more descent).
D4: Down Mlambonja pass back to camp.

You could also change your day 3 by going down Organ pipes pass and the camel and camp at Ribbon falls camp for a very short D4, or you could do a further variation by going down Organ pipes pass and then, near Windy Gap, turn South (correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is Thutumi pass) and walk to the old fire station and camp around this area (note - possibly no water on the ridges). Your D4 would then still be fairly long, i.e. spending more time in the Berg.

Finally, you could also decide to go down via the Bell Traverse. So, rather than go down from Twins Cave to the Camel, you could simply proceed past Twins and carry on with the Bell Traverse route. Not super long and mostly downhill with a path most of the way, although, take care of the exposed parts and could be dodgy in thick mist (I'm assuming you either know the route or have a Gps with tracks). This will take a bit of time as it is definitely longer than going down Mlambonja pass.

Or, you could stick to your original plan and have a super chilled day 3, as you could probably cover the distance from the top of Tseke to the top of Mlambonja in around and hour's easy walking.

Either way, enjoy!!!
Last edit: 03 Feb 2021 11:18 by Riaang.

More
04 Feb 2021 17:24 #76490 by sibr
Replied by sibr on topic Round trip Tseketseke.
a few years ago we did a 3-day hike using Tseketseke to summit. we had planned to do day 1 to the Hut then up to the top on day2. we did the start to hut very quickly, so decided to push to the top on the same day. It was brutal but improved our second-day considerably. If you want I can share the gpx file with you.
regards,
si

More
07 Feb 2021 12:52 #76492 by Deon 1
Replied by Deon 1 on topic Round trip Tseketseke.
Yes please that would be great. Can you send it via email?

More
09 Feb 2021 15:22 #76495 by Smithers_23
Replied by Smithers_23 on topic Round trip Tseketseke.
This too is a route I would like to do. I have not hiked in this region.

Would it be realistic to go from camp to tseke hut in the afternoon on day one - arrive Friday afternoon (around 2pm) and begin the hike? And then day 2 up Tseke pass, turn south along the escarpment and spend the night in any of the Ndumeni or Rolands cave (preferrably Rolands) and then day 3 down Thuthumi Pass back to camp. An alternative would be to decent using Organ Pipes Pass - any recommendations on choosing between the two or does it really come down to personal preference for most?

Would day 3 be a serious slog / unrealistic or is it quite manageable? Or would it be better to break it up into 2 days on the way down too?

More
10 Feb 2021 10:16 #76498 by Riaang
Hi Smithers_23

Welcome to VE!

Starting at 2pm will work, depending on how fast you walk. You should get to Tseke hut either around sunset or soon thereafter. Maybe just make sure you have the GPS coordinates for the hut to cater for finding it in the dark. It's easy to find though, but rather be safe than sorry. Your day 2 is very doable, you only have a couple of ridges to do over a not too long distance. Day 3 can be short or long, depending on your route selection. Going down Organs and then the Camel is definitely the shorter of the two routes. Thutumi pass goes south first, and then you have to walk all the way back up to your car. Depending on the exact route you take here, you will typically come out at Didima camp (already further than down the Camel) and then you have to walk back up to your car which you (presumably) left at the hotel. That slog ain't fun on the tar road after 3 day's hiking.

Either way, you will be in the mountains for 3 days, which is awesome.

Enjoy!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smithers_23

More
22 Apr 2021 23:54 - 22 Apr 2021 23:56 #76784 by ByronPaschke
Replied by ByronPaschke on topic Round trip Tseketseke.
I strongly suggest for you to not climb Mlambonja

its a very long arduous trip up; stick to doing this route on the downward trajectory.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2021 23:56 by ByronPaschke.

More
23 Apr 2021 10:35 #76785 by Riaang
Mlambonja up is no more difficult than many of the other passes in the Cathedral Peak area. In fact, it's one of the easier ones, especially when compared to the Xeni alternatives. I've taken complete newbies up it in a day (from the hotel up to Twins cave), and they weren't fit. However, as always in the mountains, being fit helps a lot, and knowing where the path is will be beneficial. Going down the pass is more obvious than ascending it.

Whether going up or down Mlambonja, if you chose to do it, enjoy!!!

More