Cathedral Peak general hiking snippets

10 Mar 2010 19:24 #978 by anthony
Hi all
We are planing to accend organ pipes from mikes pass and the down thuthumi we want to leave late in the afternoon at abot 4;30 and walk to just before sunset is there a good campspot any one can recomend along the route and how much water is avalable along the route.Can anybody please advise if it is viable to take the smugglers rote which comes of ththumi and joins with the organ pipes path in other words is it a short cut back to mikes pass. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2010 19:08 #982 by intrepid
You'd probably make it to the old lookout hut on your first day, but don't count on finding much water there, fill up before you start the ascent from the jeep track. Be warned that you may have lots of smugglers passing through your campsite at night, and be very careful of hiking around there at sunset - this is often when smugglers are coming down and where they get ambushed by the authorities. Hikers have been shot at during the night in this area because the smugglers thought they were being attacked.

The smuggling route, or "Smugglers Pass" as I call it (because it has its own, distinct summit and is not the same as Thuthumi Pass), it a very viable route for linking Thuthumi Pass with Organ Pipes. The link is not too far down Thuthumi Pass, and it would be a much quicker route back to Mikes Pass than walking out Thuthumi.

Enjoy, but please consider the risks of this area and be careful!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
13 Mar 2010 06:04 #983 by anthony
Thanx for the info,i think when we make camp we will try and move of the main path a little so as not to be to be so conspicuous,its also grate to know there is a short cut as we will have younger children with us.

More
11 Jul 2010 13:56 #1449 by GetaPix
Hey there guys - and ladies

New to this site and just registered. Been great reading up on experiences and was already able to get a lot of information by just browsing around. In that reaspect I can say thanks to so many peoples posts I have read and you guys sharing your experiences. This is the best site that Ive come accross in years

I have experience in the Drakensberg so Im not completely new to it. There are just so many place to explore I wish I could go more often. I need some help quickly in making desicions with a hike me and a friend is about to go on - coming Thursday to Sunday.

Im a photographer and about 20 years ago did the Bell traverse. Ive always wanted to return and have marked so many spots I wanted to return for photography purposes but as usual - with so many choices available..you sort of get like a boy in a candy store..You know what you want to do before you get there...but after reading some experiences in here I wonder (also with the security issues)

Give me some opinions from a photography perspective of places to visit between organs and Orange peel gap. I have recently returned from The Gorge etc and it's always good to go there but this time want to go to other spots I havent been in a while or not have been to. Ive read about soem passes between Organs and Mlambonja (spelling) which I havent done before and somebody said that these are amazing in beauty...- If so how do they compare to Bell traverse?

I dont want to hike for the sake of going as tough and hard and far as possible. Ive done that in my life and am more interested in getting to a place and exploring it for photographic purposes.

So in essence this is a oppinion gathering thread with your sugestions and ideas that will help me to decide...especially on areas that I havent seen.

Then also just another question. Does somebody know if the Tarn has water in it at the moment. I doubt it as it's middle winter but was hoping if somebody knows for a fact... Havent been to the tarn in the middle of winter before

Thanks to you all.
Regards
Rian

More
12 Jul 2010 08:35 #1450 by plouw
Hi GetaPix

A good trip I did recently was up the Mnweni pass and down Rockeries. It's a three day hike and the views of the Cathedral range, Mnweni Needles and Pinnacles, are amazing! The kraals in the foothills also make for some really interesting photos.

If you're keen for the Cathedral area, what about going up Tseketseke, down Cockade? Or other way round, I havent personally done it, but believe its quite good.

More
12 Jul 2010 11:19 #1452 by GetaPix
Thanks for your help there and feedback. Don't make it more complicated than what it is.. :blink: I have done this pass maybe 10 years ago and is another spot I want to go back to yes...For sure. life is just to short. Since I take it that you have been there recently...what's the road like going there? Do I need a 4x4? (Mnweni area?)

More
12 Jul 2010 12:15 #1454 by plouw
we drove in to the visitor centre after a night of heavy rains, with a citi golf. it was very muddy and the low water bridges were quite deep under water, but we didnt have any problems. i reckon in winter, the drive in should be a breeze.

More
12 Jul 2010 15:19 #1462 by intrepid
Welcome to this forum GetaPix.

First off I wouldn't let the security situation on the Bell Traverse be an absolute turn-off. There is some risk, but it isn't high, and, as you might have read in the other references, there are a number of precautionary measures you can take. But no-one can guarantee your safety up there though as it concerns crime, which is why I always mention this alongside a hearty admiration of the route. I don't believe that trying to keep things quiet about these problems is the right approach, and believe hikers should be clearly and specifically informed on what is going on and what has happened in the past. Go there informed and aware, rather than not go at all, but if a potential risk is not option for you at all, then rather go for another route.

How the Bell Traverse rates photographically compared to the escarpment between Mlambonja and Organ Pipes is quite subjective but I'd lean towards rating the the Bell Traverse higher.

For your info though, the three passes between Mlambonja and Organ Pipes are Xeni, Cockade and Tsekesteke. Xeni is a very challenging undertaking, and wouldn't readily recommend it for your purposes. You do get good perspectives on the Plume and Cockade from the pass, but by far the best scenery is on the escarpment around this area, which you can reach using other passes. Cockade Pass suffered a flash flood in recent times and is in bad shape - maybe not a good idea for you at this time either. Nice shots of The Elepghant and Xeni Peak looming overhead from the base of these passes, but by far the best shots of this area are along the top of these passes, particularly from the Elephant and from the summit of Cockade Pass.

Mlambonja Buttress is worth a visit too, but for good photography you'd have to be there in the mornings. Later in the day it's just to much glare and contrast.

Tsekesteke Pass is a good option, though tends to be a bit overgrown at the bottom. Combined with Organ Pipes Pass over 4 days (which it seems is the time you have), will give you lots of time for photography, and you can easily do a loop to Cockade Pass and The Elephant from there. It would also take you over Cleft Peak which gives you a classic, grand view over the whole area. The Column and Pyramid would feature strongly from various angles on this route. The view around Windy Gap and on The Camel will give lots of opportunity for photos of the Organ Pipes and the jagged formations of Cleft Peak, and Column and Pyramid. You could even spend a night in Roland's Cave, again a place for awesome scenes. Bear in mind that Organ Pipes Pass is a major smuggling pass and that you may encounter smugglers there even in the winter.

Hope this helps, enjoy, and do let us know how it goes.

More
12 Jul 2010 19:48 #1464 by GetaPix
Chris

Thank you for taking time with a very detailed sugestion list. I appreciate your feedback. I am concerned with safety yes but have had my fair share of experiences with our friends.I agree that this must indeed not be kept silent..Untill I discovered this site...I was really worried that I was the only person experiencing the troubles and frequency of smugling in Cathedral. From the usual readings you only hear in papers etc about things up North.

I think Im going to stick with my Bell version for the moment and let it play out as I go. Weather certainly look's like it will be interesting.

Ive also been looking at your pics posted and This helps me with future plans. The angle on Mnweni Pinnacles certianly has me more curious about this place. Have not been there often enough. The places I have been to in Mnweni seeks my further visiting and cant bear to explore more new places. Looking at increasing the frequency of my visits to the berg....Dont we all :)

Regards and will keep you posted on my experiences

PS - any info on water in the tarn - even educated guess maybe?

More
12 Jul 2010 20:57 - 12 Jul 2010 20:58 #1465 by intrepid
GetaPix wrote:

PS - any info on water in the tarn - even educated guess maybe?

Oh, right, overlooked this. Are you talking about the one on Tarn Hill at Cathedral? My guess is that it will be dry, though I do not know this for sure. I've seen it bone dry before. I saw the tarn next to Giant's Castle hut a week ago and it was dry, so that may be an indicator.

Last edit: 12 Jul 2010 20:58 by intrepid.

More