Giants Castle hikes - 3 days

06 Jul 2015 18:15 #64474 by Ryan
Replied by Ryan on topic Giants Castle hikes - 3 days
Hi Richard,

Its an old Sunseeker Isodome2.

Spoke to others on the mountain that weekend and their tents also got trashed, so I think we were very lucky we decided to camp there behind the rocks, rather than further down exposed in the valley by the river near the top of Langies.

A couple more pics of the top of the pass with the fog approaching us, and some more of the snow.

Just about at Bannermans Summit:

The start of the snow:

Some more of the Snow overnight:

Top of Langies on way down(is this the same mountain we just spent the night on in the snow? :cheer: )

Ryan

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigsnake, ghaznavid, Richard Hunt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2018 14:30 #72890 by leeuw
Replied by leeuw on topic Giants Castle hikes - 3 days
Hi guys

We are doing a 2night 3day hike this coming Easter weekend.

Planning to overnight in tents in the vacinity of the Bannerman hut night 1.

We the want to head over to Judgess pass and adcend to the top. What would be the best tenting option for night 2. Close to a water source and staying as close to the escarpment as possible.

Top of Bannermans or Langies pass?

Would prefer to come down Langies as I want to pass the karbineers grave.

2x 2person tents
1x 1person tent

Thanks Anton

More
01 Mar 2018 17:41 #72891 by Smurfatefrog
Why not just stay in Bannerman Hut? If you want to go a bit further and camp nearer Judge Pass you might battle to find a good spot for 3 tents.

There are plenty tenting spots on the escarpment, ideally you can tent over the Sanqebethu ridge on the way down to Langies, but this would make day 2 quite long going up Judge Pass, over the Popple ridge and then over Sanqebethu ridge.
Otherwise just do a standard Bannerman and Langies pass loop
The following user(s) said Thank You: leeuw

More
02 Mar 2018 08:01 #72896 by leeuw
When I enquired Bannerman hut was already booked. But we will camp in the vacinity.

Thanks for the info on the escarpment camping.

Cheers

More
02 Mar 2018 12:29 #72902 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Giants Castle hikes - 3 days
Hi Leeuw,

It would depend on your fitness level for starters.
Going South from Judges we've camped a couple of times on a spot up towards Bannermans Ridge, probably about 300m or so up from the river you cross when coming down from Popple side. Quite flat and not too slopy. Don't knwo how nmany hikers in your group but you can also go over bannermans and sleep in Bannermans cave. This is, however, quite far from water. You could also descend then down to the valley floor and camp next to the water (general rule here is that water is about 200m ASL or more lower than the escarpment). There are lots of flattish spots where you can tent. Quite a busy area (traffic wise) so choose your camping spot away from traffic where possible.

Enjoy!

More
02 Mar 2018 14:03 #72903 by leeuw
Thanks Riaang

Will look into the spot you suggest. Guys arent the fastest but they can far and long. Currently 5 but we might be 7. Will keep an eye out for the traffic up there.

Cheers

More
02 Mar 2018 15:51 - 02 Mar 2018 15:54 #72906 by tonymarshall
The campsite Riaang suggests will give a good balance between your 2nd and 3rd days. It is commonly known as 'Bannerman Pass campsite', and is about 400 m NE of the top of Bannerman Pass, behind Gypaetus Point. It's not really a campsite, just an obvious, convenient 'level' spot near the top of Bannerman Pass with water nearby.

My gps co ordinates (WGS84) S 29 15.032 E 29 25.344 at 3045 m.

It is near the head of the stream starting near the top of Bannerman Pass and flowing into the valley towards Popple ridge, and although you may have to walk downstream a bit to get enough water, it isn't far and the slope is quite gentle.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2018 15:54 by tonymarshall. Reason: Add gps co ordinates

More
02 Mar 2018 21:48 #72912 by leeuw
Thanks Tony. Much appreciated.

More
01 Feb 2020 21:43 #75662 by Drakie1
I am planning to take a group of friends up Giant's Castle peak coming Easter weekend. Most hike reports here describe routes to the north/west of Giant's but we have been thinking of going up via Elandshoek pass.

This is the plan: Start hiking from Giant's Castle camp at 10:00 am on Friday 10th April. Seeing that we won't be able to hike all the way up to the top of Elandshoek pass in one day we intend camping somewhere east of The Needle. It does not look like there are any descent camping spots further on, closer to The Sisters. Any suggestions?

On day 2 we will be leaving around 6:30 am. Our planned route takes us past The Sisters, around the south eastern point of South Ridge. From here we will follow the contour path along the southern slope of South Ridge to the bottom of Elandshoek pass. It looks like there are a number of side streams originating along this path, but I am not sure wether there is really drinkable water before perhaps at the bottom of Elandshoek pass where we cross the river?
I am a bit concerned about a good camping spot on the escarpment.  I have been up Giant's Castle during my DGT April 2019 but never went down towards Elandshoek so I am not familiar with the area. We would like to camp away from the smugglers route, perhaps higher up from Elandshoek pass closer to Giant's peak. From the top of Giant's the area to the south looked quite  camping friendly but on the satellite images it looks a little different. Does anyone know the area well enough to suggest a good camping spot closer to Giant's Peak?

On day 3 we will summit Giant's Castle Peak (weather permitting). From there we plan to follow a route quite high up towards Giant's pass. We will not make use of the caves but would rather opt for camping further down Giant's Ridge. It looks like there is a camping spot to the left of our route just past the turn off towards Giant's hut and perhaps another one further down along Giant's Ridge?

On day 4 we will complete the remaining 6 or 7 kilometers back to Giant's Castle Camp.

Any suggestions will be appreciated....... thanks.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
03 Feb 2020 17:06 #75672 by Nicolaas
Hi Drakie, I cannot comment on the rest of your route, but regarding night 3, you can camp here:
A nice camp spot and about 100m from a decent stream large enough for a swim. I've used it before myself.
Regards
Nicolaas 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drakie1

More