Giants Castle hikes - 3 days

03 Feb 2020 18:20 - 03 Feb 2020 18:21 #75673 by diverian
Hi Drakie 1
There is a smugglers path that cuts out the South ridge, as shown approx in red , I have seen the path on both sides but have not done it. We found a nice spot at the source of the Mooi to camp the first night.

The path from the East

The path from the West.

There may be other members who have hiked this ?

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 03 Feb 2020 18:21 by diverian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drakie1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2020 10:35 #75675 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Giants Castle hikes - 3 days
We are planning on going down Elandshoek pass in Feb, so I'll keep an eye out for water and camping spots Drakie.

That being said, there are numerous flat spots around Giants Castle. We've tented a number of times on the flat spot just to the left of the pass head as you walk into Lesotho. or to describe it from the direction you will be coming: As you start the final ascent to Giants pass from the Lesotho side, you will notice a couple of "terraces" on your right. These make good camping spots. If you want to camp further away from the pass head, walk towards Makaza, also numerous flat spots around here. Or, alternatively, on the top of the Long Wall are numerous flat spots, but you might have to move some loose rocks out the way first. No water though, so just carry some extra up the ridge. And please, stake out your tents properly as the wind on the Long Wall can be, how shall I put it,.....interesting!

Enjoy!!!

More
10 Feb 2020 14:46 #75686 by Drakie1
Hi Riaang. Thanks for your reply. Will you then be doing the same route as we are planning but just the other way round........ up with Giant's pass and down Elandshoek pass?

When will you be doing this hike and over how many days? I am looking forward to your report.
Enjoy.

More
14 Feb 2020 10:00 #75697 by Riaang
Hi Drakie1

Not quite. The plan is to go up Langies on the Friday, then visit Redi peak on Saturday and down Elandshoek pass on Sunday.

I need to take a peak into the area south of Giants for an upcoming traverse we are planning. Never been south of Giants before, so really looking forward to this chance to explore a bit of new terrain.

More
15 Feb 2020 07:32 #75701 by Drakie1
Hi Riaang

Quite a distance you are planning to cover in three days.
We did the Grand Traverse end of April beginning of May last year. I remember camping just west of The Tent. I would gladly share any info that may be useful to you.

More
17 Feb 2020 09:17 #75705 by Riaang
Hi Drakie,

If you could send me the location of your tenting spot it would be appreciated.

More