Injisuthi hikes - 3 days

17 Oct 2012 17:52 #55456 by Beanman
Replied by Beanman on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
We would probably get there around midday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2012 12:21 #55488 by Beanman
Bump

More
22 Oct 2012 13:15 - 22 Oct 2012 13:18 #55490 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
Hi Beanman,
Best not to try Corner or Ship's Prow - so that leaves Leslies.

These are the possibilities:

Plan X
First day Marble Baths Cave (2 hours fast hike, 3 hours slower)
Second day ascend Leslies and return to Marble Baths Cave (2 hours to base of pass, 3 hours up, 1 hour on top, 2 down, 1.5 back to cave, so long day)
Third day walk back to camp

Advantages:
Nice place to stay
Light (day) packs on the hard day
no need for tents

Dasadv:
Long second day
No overnight on top experience

Plan Y
First day: to base of Leslies pass campsite (5 hrs ish)
Second day: ascend pass and sleep at summit (4.5 hours is a slow ascent)
Third day: walk out (7 hrs ish)

Adv:
shorter second day
have overnight on escarpment

Disdav:
have to carry kit up pass
need tents for both nights

You could mix and match, and so tent at base of pass and go up and down pass in a day.

With inexperienced hikers, I'd opt for X. Gives nice, light walking on day 2. If things are slow, you can turn for home at any moment. You might get caught out by mist though. Even then, Marble Baths is nicer in the mist than Leslie's pass bottom camp.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2012 13:18 by tiska.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beanman

More
22 Oct 2012 16:42 #55492 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
Hi Beanman

Responding to your earlier question about Sterkhorn and considering mnt_tiska's Plan X possibility, in my opinion Leslies would be a little harder than Sterkhorn.
Sterkhorn has faily well-established open paths, whereas Leslies has the Marble Baths to Campsite river course and then some loose boulder/scree up the pass. There is, however less exposure on Leslies pass, but similar steepness and slippery paths coming down the ridges.

I agree with mnt_tiska that with Plan X your second day would be long. The mixed alternative with a day trip up the pass would be more pleasant and closer to your experience up Sterkhorn, but your first half-day may be a bit of a push.

More
23 Oct 2012 06:10 #55493 by Beanman
I have been giving this a lot of thought.

Would a better Idea not be to start at Monks Cowl and go to Keiths bush camp day1. Day 2 go up Champagne Castle - dont know if there is camping sites up there or water - day 2 and then descend day 3?

I have heard the pass up Champagne is easier than Leslies - never done it before.

Hmmm - so many options in the berg.

More
23 Oct 2012 06:54 #55494 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
You're talking about the route via Gray's Pass. And yes, it's much easier than Leslies and a great option as a first Berg hike.

The first day to Keith Bush Camp is 14km with most of the climb in the first 4km as you head up to the Contour Path at Blind Man's Corner. There's a path the whole way and a lot of contouring, so you can expect this day to take about 5-6 hours. There are a few flat spots to camp at Keith Bush and there is running water most of the year (except for the dry winter months).

Your second day up Gray's Pass is steep, but there is a path the whole way up. There are a few places where multiple path options present themselves and a few short rocky steps with some exposure which need some care to negotiate. A steady, gradual ascent of this pass should take about 4h. On top there is a river valley with plenty of camping options or you can sleep in Nkosazana Cave (which can be wet in Summer). The Champagne Castle summit is a 2h round-trip from the cave.

Reversing day 1 & 2 as your final day is quite a slog so leave early, especially if you plan to drive back the same day. This descent can easily take 7-8h and your knees will feel the cumulative 2000m of descent!

Another option is to set up a base camp at Keith Bush and do the trip up and down Gray's Pass to summit Champagne Castle as a day hike on day 2. This makes your 3rd day significantly easier.

More
23 Oct 2012 07:54 #55495 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
The Gray's Pass option details provided by Stijn makes for an excellent alternative. The paths are defintely in better condition in this valley.
One difference is that the Injisuthi side is a lot quieter. You may well pass local traffic coming from Lesotho down Gray's. There is much less of this in Leslies. If you leave kit at Keith Bush for the day, you would need to hide it well and hide it early in the day because Keith Bush is very visible from above.

More
23 Oct 2012 10:48 #55496 by Beanman
I think this option is probably better. Thanks for all the advise.

My immediate plan is to drive to Monks Cowl - depending on time spend the night at either Blindmans corner or Keith Bush camp.

Day 2: go up Grays and spend the night on top, maybe near Champagne - hows the security up there?

Day 3: Descend back to either Keiths bush camp or Blindmans.

Day 4: Back to Monks Cowl and home again.

Not to strenuous and will give the guys some time up on the escarpment.

Now to go buy a new tent!

More
18 Mar 2015 22:42 #63097 by spiderkzn
Replied by spiderkzn on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
Hi, I'm new here and Please make a warm welcome for us Deaf people to be hiker from Durban :)

Sorry for poor english grammar as I hope you will understand what I'm trying to say.

Just chatting to my friend about hiking for our first time at Berg. So we have decide to pick Injsuthu and very exciting to make a trip in our lifetime.

Just bought R799 K-way hiking bag from Cape Union Mart :D.

We will possibly going in middle of May and we decide to camp two night at different cave.

But we would like stay at Marble rock in 2nd Night.

I'm not sure the first night as I need your advice. prefer around 4-5 hike hours in first day, 6 hours hike in 2nd day to Marble Rock. and return to Injisuthu camp on 3rd day.

Can you please attach the map of injisuthu hiking trial cos I cant find it on internet.

More
19 Mar 2015 10:36 #63100 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Injisuthi hikes - 3 days
Welcome to VE :thumbsup:

Injisuthi isn't my hunting zone - although it is right next to it, so I'll leave route planning to the various Injisuthi hikers on this site.

What I can help you with are the maps. You can buy these from most KZN wildlife offices, Mountain Mail Order, Cape Union Mart and most other hiking shops. You can download poor quality versions of the old maps from www.berg.co.za (although the website seems to be down right now).

R800 sleeping bag - I'm guessing that is an Alpine Cowl?

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More