Nguza Pass

28 Sep 2020 19:58 #76127 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Nguza Pass
We did this pass a few years ago in icy conditions and I found this section pretty frightening - clearly it has deteriorated since then from more frequent use and has become very eroded. I think it is wise to warn hikers of the dangers that lie in wait here and to rather give this area time to rehabilitate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2020 16:48 #76132 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Nguza Pass

Perhaps it would be best for nobody to do this pass for a year and see how it heals. It is likely only a few hikers that would attempt this anyway, so not like you would be taking away a major route to the top from a lot of people. This would be a good example of the VE community protecting a route for the future and allowing rehab to take its course.

We did this pass a few years ago in icy conditions and I found this section pretty frightening - clearly it has deteriorated since then from more frequent use and has become very eroded. I think it is wise to warn hikers of the dangers that lie in wait here and to rather give this area time to rehabilitate.

I couldn't agree more with both your suggestions. It truly is a spectacular and unique pass and would be an absolute shame if this section became permanently impassable. Just by assessing the successive damage caused by our group of 4 crossing (and the sheer horror of feeling the ground below you give away completely at each step) I am really concerned whether it can be crossed safely at all by next groups in its current condition. For those that have not done the pass before, as can be seen from the images, there is a significant drop-off and the gradient is more than may be perceived.

I would generally be hesitant to issue a warning like this (acknowledging the risk we all happily take to experience our beloved mountains) but as Elinda has mentioned, it may be the responsible thing to do to make everyone fully aware of this specific risk (especially if and when conditions change). Given sufficient time, I am confident that it can be rehabilitated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt, Nicolaas, TheRealDave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More