Pins Pass

21 Oct 2022 10:17 - 22 Oct 2022 06:55 #78076 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Pins Pass
One more idea on the route. With an early start in summer, you could descend Mnweni Pass, be at the bottom by 7.30 to 8 and head up Pinns on the same day. Descending Mnweni Pass isn’t that strenuous, not with the path. 
You’ll miss a nice camp in the Mnweni valley of course.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2022 06:55 by tiska.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drakie1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2022 16:17 #78123 by Drakie1
Replied by Drakie1 on topic Pins Pass
At 13:00 Sunday 6 November two of us started hiking from the drop off point up the valley below Rockeries. We reached the camping spot just above the confluence of the Ntonjelana and the stream coming down Rockeries by 17:30. It was quite hot for most of the afternoon. 
On Monday morning Rockeries pass was covered in mist but we managed to start hiking from our camp by 8:00. We went up Rockeries quite slowly, taking pictures whenever the weather allowed. We reached the top of Rockeries by 12:30, sat down and had lunch. With dark clouds in the sky we headed for Mponjwana cave where we spent the night. By 23:30 it started raining and continued raining until after 11:00 on Tuesday. It did not really bother us because our plan was to hike across to Mnweni pass, descend Mnweni and camp at Chi Chi for the night before we tackle Pins pass on Wednesday. Within half an our after leaving Mponjwana it started raining again. When we reached the Senqu river it was pouring down. I decided to walk up to the escarpment at Ledges, all along the river. My friend waited for me a couple of hundred meters below the point where the Senqu flows through the little gorge. About an hour later I met up with him again and we hiked to the top of Mnweni. The rain was really coming down as we reached Mnweni and we decided that doing Pins pass the next day would not be such a good idea. So there was no reason to descend Mnweni in pouring rain. We hiked back to the Senqu and camped there for the night. The amount of water coming out of that gorge was something to see! 
On Wednesday morning it was mostly clear skies, but doing Pins with all that rain the day before was still not an option. In my mind I played with the idea of camping at Five-star or at the waterfall below Fangs after descending Mnweni and do a solo hike up Fangs and down Madonna with a lighter pack while my friend wait for me down at the camp. Due to circumstances beyond my control that idea remained in my head. We camped just below the first crossing of the Mnweni for the night and walked out to the bridge on Thursday morning where we were picked up by Bongani with his Hilux "taxi".
While coming down Mnweni I spent a lot of time looking at Pins and taking photographs from  different angles....... maybe another day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog, supertramp, wildingo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More