Langalibalele Pass

30 Jan 2020 12:32 #75645 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Langalibalele Pass
..I've arrived at night and pitched a tent at the picnic area! We got up early and were gone before anyone noticed!? 

Not sure I'd recommend it as there is no water nearby but for a pit stop it's ok. I wasn't aware of any 'rules' at the time so no harm no fowl!?
The following user(s) said Thank You: petroengel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2020 13:23 #75649 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Langalibalele Pass

ASL wrote: ..I've arrived at night and pitched a tent at the picnic area! We got up early and were gone before anyone noticed!? 

Not sure I'd recommend it as there is no water nearby but for a pit stop it's ok. I wasn't aware of any 'rules' at the time so no harm no fowl!?

I don't think they have a problem with that. We've arrived a few times at night and the guard has told us to rather camp at the picnic area because it's too dangerous to hike at night (we have always assured him we'd be fine though and hiked)
Last time I arrived at Giants Castle the guard at the gate told me that overnight hiking wasn't allowed there, so I wouldn't always trust them....

You could also call reception beforehand and ask permission to camp in the picnic area

More
30 Jan 2020 15:22 - 30 Jan 2020 15:25 #75650 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Langalibalele Pass
On the Geomaps a pink line around the camps, huts etc shows the exclusion area for camping your proposed campsite is definitely within this area.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2020 15:25 by diverian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: petroengel

More
16 Jan 2023 16:22 - 17 Jan 2023 08:22 #78264 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Langalibalele Pass
Hello. Recently I came down from the escarpment using Langilibalele Pass. It was first time using it.

I saw that the mail trail down start at the the center of the pass and it is next to a cairn.

But, on the right side looking down the pass there is another trail that is higher up, and it is clearly marked. It is located down the cross. I followed it a bit to get nice pics.

It is separated from the main trail going down the pass, but it is connected to the escarpment trail from the gps maps.

But, I am wondering where this trail leads to or where it ends?

PS: You can see the start of the trail in the pic. The main trail down the pass is located to the left and it is not visible in the pic.

Thanks.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 17 Jan 2023 08:22 by JonWells. Reason: Inserted image

More
17 Jan 2023 10:51 #78267 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Langalibalele Pass
I've accidentally taken that high trail a few times, although never as far as the end of it. A lot of passes have trails like this that seem to relate to where shepherds take their animals to graze on the SA side of the border. If you follow them, they usually fade out after a while. Manguan Pass at Vergelegen has a fairly long one that ends at an arbitrary point on a slope - the pass itself is literally just "go down here somewhere" with no gully or ridge, and scrambling to get through two minor cliff bands - so the presence of a dead end trail there just confuses things further.

When those trails do lead somewhere, they usually go up to the top of the next gully along. In this instance that would be Bond Pass, but I doubt a trail has formed around the top of that, since the top 5m of that pass is a scramble, and thus is not suitable for most animals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS

More
17 Jan 2023 19:32 #78269 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Langalibalele Pass

I've accidentally taken that high trail a few times, although never as far as the end of it. A lot of passes have trails like this that seem to relate to where shepherds take their animals to graze on the SA side of the border. If you follow them, they usually fade out after a while. Manguan Pass at Vergelegen has a fairly long one that ends at an arbitrary point on a slope - the pass itself is literally just "go down here somewhere" with no gully or ridge, and scrambling to get through two minor cliff bands - so the presence of a dead end trail there just confuses things further.

When those trails do lead somewhere, they usually go up to the top of the next gully along. In this instance that would be Bond Pass, but I doubt a trail has formed around the top of that, since the top 5m of that pass is a scramble, and thus is not suitable for most animals.

I walked it for about 40 minutes, and it still continued before turning back. It provides great views for pics and have water at some points.

More