Langalibalele Pass

23 Feb 2011 15:46 #2455 by Geordie
Langalibalele Pass was created by Geordie
Hi Guys
No, I am not a woes. We are sending our Grand Traverse re-supply team up this route and I don't want any excuses if the dragons breath comes in.
If anyone has this track in .gpx or .gbd I would appriciate it.

ta muchly
G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2011 19:12 - 24 Feb 2011 19:14 #2464 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Langalibalele Pass
Don't have my own, but check this out:
ftp://www.berg.co.za/GPSData/Langalibalele%20Pass.gdb

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2011 19:14 by intrepid.

More
25 Sep 2012 22:06 #74321 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Langalibalele Pass
Rating:* * * (2/10)Difficulty of the pass is...

The term "Langalibalele Pass" was originally a reference to a pass used by the Hlubi people led by Chief Langalibalele. The route was mainly used for cattle theft, but after Langalibalele's Rebelion ended in 1873, this pass fell into disuse. The name "Langalibalele Pass" was then appropriated to the "Bushman's River" Pass. The original Langalibalele Pass is still usable and is now known as "Hlubi" Pass.

This pass is definitely one of the easiest routes to the escarpment. It tops out between the Sanqebethu and Durnford ridges. With a good path along the entire route and no overly steep sections, its a good route for newbies.

Read more...

More
25 Apr 2017 10:50 #71429 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Langalibalele Pass
I'm taking my family to the Berg this weekend and it will be the kids first sleepover at the top. Previous experiences for them includes sleeping in caves and huts in the lower berg, last year was their first time up Judges and down Bannermans. Decided to keep to the same area this year so will be going up Leslies and coming down Langies. I couldn't find a track for Langies pass in the downloads section, does anybody perhaps have a copy for me. I know where it is BUT prefer to always have a track on my GPS just in case of bad weather with low viz.

More
25 Apr 2017 11:55 #71430 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Langalibalele Pass
Riaang, I have it...DM me your email address and I will send it

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More
25 Apr 2017 12:14 #71431 by Riaang
Thanks Macc,

I've sent you a PM just now

More
26 Apr 2017 11:08 #71432 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Langalibalele Pass
Langies has such a clear trail the entire way - only spot you could lose the trail is that side stream just above the steep bit of the pass.

More
30 Jan 2020 08:59 #75640 by petroengel
Replied by petroengel on topic Langalibalele Pass
Can anybody tell me if one can camp at G54-1800, or anywhere between Giants castle KZN wildlife office and the start of Langalibalele ridge? Thank you!

More
30 Jan 2020 09:46 #75642 by Riaang
There is a general rule that you are not supposed to camp too close to the main rest camps, not sure what the distance from the camp is, seems to remember that it is around 5km's or so. Basically, anywhere on the lower berg and higher is fine. There are plenty of flat spots on top of the lower berg as you approach Langies. We normally stop at this one peculiar spot for lunch when we go up to Bannermans hut. It is just to the right of the path as you ascend, where there is a small outcrop of rocks (the only rocky section I seem to remember) on the trek up to the contour path. Anywhere in this vicinity is fairly flat, but a bit lumpy with all the grass around.

Enjoy!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: petroengel

More
30 Jan 2020 09:57 #75643 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Langalibalele Pass

petroengel wrote: Can anybody tell me if one can camp at G54-1800, or anywhere between Giants castle KZN wildlife office and the start of Langalibalele ridge? Thank you!

I don't think you'll find a flat spot there, but carry on about a further 1km until you cross the Bushmans river at the base of the ridge, you will find a spot around there
The following user(s) said Thank You: petroengel

More