Judge Pass

30 May 2017 07:39 - 30 May 2017 07:43 #71667 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Re: Judge Pass
I enjoyed the pass, although it was freezing cold, and can see it is a scenic pass. Unfortunately my photos were taken in winter, and make things look a bit drab, especially with the area of burnt grass at the bottom.

On the Rock Pass thing, I suspect early hikers and climbers tried to use the stream beds, and were thwarted by waterfalls in narrow cliff bands, which they climbed up with gear rather than just looking for a way through on the grass slopes without obstacles.
Last edit: 30 May 2017 07:43 by tonymarshall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 08:15 #71668 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Judge Pass
I often take the term "rock pass" to mean a pass without a trail. No one calls Greys Pass a rock pass, but when that scramble is wet, it isn't a doddle, and the top is definitely rocky. Mohlesi Pass, by contrast, is grass the entire way, yet it is classified as a rock pass (Best Walks of the Drakensberg goes further and refers to it as technical).

On a different side note - I wonder if the term "technical grass" might be necessary to describe some of the routes in the Berg. For someone not used to it, even a slope like the one between Stealth Cave and the top of Bollard Pass might be very difficult, and some slopes become practically impassable when burned.

Nonetheless, nothing technical about Judge Pass.

More
30 Aug 2018 18:19 #73909 by Tony.Heher
Replied by Tony.Heher on topic Judge Pass
Planning an easy trip from Injisuthi up Judge's Pass. Centenary Hut does not look appealing. Are there any suitable camping sites along the contour path just before or on the way up Judge's? 

More
30 Aug 2018 20:13 #73910 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Judge Pass
Tenting on the flat grass area close to Centenary Hut would be the best place. From the hut to the bottom of Judges is steep and rough, although you may find a spot here and there. We camped on the south side of the start of Judges Pass. In other words you are guaranteed a nice place to tent at the hut, after that its called wild camping :)

More
31 Aug 2018 05:26 #73911 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Judge Pass
We camped in the vicinity of Centenary hut on our recent trip up Corner pass a couple weeks back. The grass is burnt though, but there is a couple of nice flat spots. Also if you're standing in front of the hut looking towards the peaks there is a path leading of to you're left (well below the contour path) which leads you to a small trickle of water.  

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

More
31 Aug 2018 11:55 #73914 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Judge Pass
if you drop down into the valley below the contour path from Centenary hut to Judges pass you will find suitable tenting spots, but do you really want to do all that much extra climbing? Best flat spots are around Centenary hut. Now that I think about it, I have seen guys camp just south of Judges pass on the contour path, towards Bannermans hut. There is an eroded spot and they pitched in the eroded path, not very wide though, probably about 1km south of Judges, but the flat spot at Centenary hut is the best choice in my opinion.

More
15 Oct 2018 13:46 #74122 by FredRichardson
Replied by FredRichardson on topic Judge Pass
Does anybody know the current state of the contour path between Bannermans Hut and Judges?

More
16 Oct 2018 08:26 #74124 by Super_mil
Replied by Super_mil on topic Judge Pass
I ran it on 25 September and the path is there but it is pretty vague in places. The toughest section to find was probably immediately after Bannermans and a cut back just before Judges. That said I did have the track (Andrew Porters map) on a GPS with me which kept the bundu bashing to a minimum.

More
30 Jan 2020 09:24 #75641 by petroengel
Replied by petroengel on topic Judge Pass

supertramp wrote: Have done that section twice during the last year or so. Fully agree with Ghaz's comments - quite easy to follow. The contour path at that section does climb a bit more than usual as it goes up to about 2400m.

Let me know if you would like the GPS track.

Cheers

Hello! Can you possibly send me this GPS track? I plan to do Judges from Giants Castle. Much appreciated!

More