VE Berg trip

29 Sep 2010 09:27 #1807 by intrepid
VE Berg trip was created by intrepid
Its probably time to start planning a Vertical Endeavour Berg trip, instead of just thinking about it. I think folks enjoy these kind of social get-togethers in the mountains. Even more so if there is an objective to trip that goes beyond just being out there...so I reckon it'd be good to tackle some alien vegetation and/or get onto a smuggling route and do a litter clean-up. Grays Pass or Organ Pipes area would be good candidates for this, though there are plenty other places. Thoughts on this? Who is keen?

My own calender is a bit intense for the rest of the year and we'd need some time to get training and approval if we're gonna take on pine trees anyway, so I suggest we look at February / March 2011. We'll also need to respect the 12 person per hiking group limit unless we split up a little.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2010 10:17 #1810 by Frosty Ice
Replied by Frosty Ice on topic Re: VE Berg trip
Sounds sweet to me. I'll be back from Madagascar by then, I have a Iron Man etc in Jan so Feb will be good. From the sounds of things some path building on grey might be an idea. Although I can feel the pain involved in that already.

More
29 Sep 2010 18:44 #1815 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Re: VE Berg trip
If we have a definite date, and folk are keen to attack some Pine trees, I will carry on trying to get my side in order in terms of training and game guards or whatever else is required. Been a little snowed under recently to be following up on the alien clearing unfortunately, for which I must apologise! :blush:

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site

More
29 Sep 2010 21:39 #1816 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Re: VE Berg trip
@ Intrepid

Have some experience in AIP's, and a chainsaw and ropes. Could possibly get some sponsorship of herbicides too.

Wattle, Pearl acacia and Pine bad at Vergelegen.

12 is a crowd. :blink:

More
04 Oct 2010 19:28 #1858 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Re: VE Berg trip
I'm keen. I suppose a long weekend like 19-21 March would be most worthwhile - half a day up, at least one full day of pine-hacking, etc. and then back down again. Location would very much depend on where the main problems are (ito accessability as well) but I'll add my vote to the Keith Bush/Gray's Pass area if it's practical.

It would be great to spend a weekend in that area, put some faces to names and put something back into the conservation of our home-away-from-home :)

More
04 Oct 2010 21:12 #1860 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: VE Berg trip
@Stijn: awesome. Ja that date could work.

@St2: 12 can be a crowd but also a lot of fun. It was really fun on the Sentinel Centenary weekend to have a crowd of people around and especially to meet guys from the forum. And the more the labouring hands, the better.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
05 Oct 2010 08:57 #1863 by mike
Replied by mike on topic Re: VE Berg trip
Sounds like a great idea!

More
05 Oct 2010 09:43 #1865 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Re: VE Berg trip
for sure. more to split the tent weight between as well !!

More
05 Oct 2010 10:34 #1866 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Re: VE Berg trip
I'm also keen, will follow the developments and see about it once a date is finalised. I think it will be an awesome weekend!

More
07 Oct 2010 18:17 #1887 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Re: VE Berg trip
I will make some inquiries tomorrow about what level of involvement Ezemvelo will provide for the proposed dates, and feed back here.

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site

More