VE Berg trip

29 Mar 2011 13:14 #2625 by zen101
Replied by zen101 on topic Re: VE Berg trip
Thx for the feedback guys and girl :) - I can't wait for the next trip!
Plus we have proper recon info now too :evil:

/L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2011 06:57 #2627 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: VE Berg trip
There is an image that has been added entitled Kertland Pass Monks Cowl. The herd of trees on the opposite side of the valley looks suspiciously like pines to me. If that is the case, there are at least 100 or more! Have a look and tell me if I am not seeing the wood for the trees.

More
30 Mar 2011 07:03 #2628 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: VE Berg trip
Yep, those are pines too. Thats the infestation in the Sterkspruit valley which is accessed via Hlatikhulu Neck. In the same gallery I've posted another pic of them from the summit of Amphlett:
{joomplu:468}
These are one of the areas where hopefully KZN Wildlife will get assistance from Working for Water since it will take a lot of labour to deal with them. We can assist them afterward by fine-combing the area and taking care of trees of on very steep ground and near cliffs. I have more shots of the these pines I'll post later. Its quite bad. So is Wonder Valley.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
01 Apr 2011 13:48 #2638 by Digz
Replied by Digz on topic Re: VE Berg trip
I just watched the vids, thanks so much, it really gives a great idea of what went down...and I'm keen to be involved if you do another one. Very lekker!

More
04 Apr 2011 08:08 #2643 by MK9
Replied by MK9 on topic Re: VE Berg trip
Ive just returned from a trip to Garden Castle.
Have a look at the attached pic: a massive infestation of Blue Gum trees right at the trail head :ohmy:

So who has the next 5 years or so free ? :whistle: any takers ?

They are an invasive species... do you think Ezemvelo would be happy for people to climb in here ?

Joking :P

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
05 Apr 2011 08:14 #2647 by intrepid
The following message was just sent to me by Frik Lemmer:

On behalf of the Monks Cowl management unit of the Ukhahlamba Drakensberg Park World
Heritage Site, I would like to formally thank you and your team for the recent alien plant
control operation done in the Keith Bush Camp/Mhlwazini river area.

These kinds of operations are of critical importance to our efforts in conserving this place and
show a real concern for the well being of the systems and species that we all hold so dear.
Formal conservation will never be able to function on its own and in isolation and therefore
require the assistance of groups of users in dealing with these challenges.

Your efforts in this regard does not go unnoticed and please see this as an invitation to return
anytime in future to continue this worthy cause.

See the attachment for the original letter.

A proud moment, and thanks again to all for your efforts in this!

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

More
07 Apr 2011 10:00 #2664 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Re: VE Berg trip

MK9 wrote: Ive just returned from a trip to Garden Castle.
Have a look at the attached pic: a massive infestation of Blue Gum trees right at the trail head :ohmy:

So who has the next 5 years or so free ? :whistle: any takers ?

They are an invasive species... do you think Ezemvelo would be happy for people to climb in here ?

Joking :P

MK9

This 'little patch' is known as Hermits Wood. It has been there for longer than 80 years. I am not sure of the species of Eucalypt, but they are not Blue or Spider Gum. There are a number of this particular species at many other EKZN camps.(You have given me something to google!).
A few also grow around the lower cottage down by the river, part of the GC Trail.
They do not appear to be significantly invasive, so possibly this is the reason that they have remained.
Unlike the Blue Gum and Slash Pine around the Cathedral Peak Hotel, and those - now cleared - pines have spread themselves up the valleys below the summit cliffs, in almost inaccessible spots.

More
25 Jun 2011 19:39 #3208 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Re: VE Berg trip
Intrepid wrote:

Pine Trees is for collecting pictures of pines in the Berg. Will be used as a database to plan for future trips, as well as to monitor progress at sites where trees have been ring-barked or cut-down. When uploading pictures to this album, whenever possible, please supply exact details on the location of the trees in the image description, and even GPS co-ordinates.

I have added two pictures of pines in the Leslies pass area.

More
28 Jun 2011 17:16 #3218 by intrepid
Thanks Sterkhorn. I have now created a dedicated thread to cater for this (see latest posts). I will get around to posting a GPX file to store all known locations too.

More