Monk's Cowl - Injisuthi link-up via escarpment

29 Sep 2010 09:38 #1808 by hartmrol
ST2 -

State of Greys Pass:
- State of paths was OK and not badly eroded (we found the pathways down Leslie' s Pass - down the ridges - which do not zig zag, to be quite badly eroded and likley to get worse.
- In terms of litter at the top, we picked up a bit at the top but the situation was not bad at all (and seemed better than last year this time).

Rolf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2013 19:47 #58355 by Jürgen Hellberg
Is it possible to do: (Day 1.) Monks cowl base camp to the top of Grays pass. (Day 2) Top of Grays pass to Centenary hut via Judges pass. (Day 3) Centenery to Injasuthi, (Day 4) Back to Monks Cowl Forestry station. How possible is that in 4 days if you're relatively fit? Let's face it running from Durbs to PMB in a day is quite do-able if you're fit, but Durbs to Ladysmith in a day (no matter how fit you are)is simply not going to happen.

More
03 Sep 2013 20:04 #58356 by tiska
It is possible in a small group of 2 or 3 provided that everyone is motivated mainly by the route being an oppie and has completing the route as their main focus (e.g. not taking photographs, or spending time on the escarpment edge looking for the best views). Some days will be long esp Day 2 (as in 12+ hrs). The circuit is unbalanced though with day 3 being very easy compared with day 2 and day 4 being a tedious route.

I'd be tempted to start at Injisuthi, head up Grays and descend Leslies back to Injisuthi. Or if the oppie is really on the cards, then start in Injisuthi and complete the circuit via Grays and Judges. Why not Corner Pass though I wonder?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jürgen Hellberg

More
03 Sep 2013 20:45 #58357 by HFc
That 2nd day is epic. The guys would need to be fit. I've done that starting from the top of Ship's Prow South, and its a full day of hiking. Not saying it cannot be done, but it would have to start really early from the top of Gray's.

The rest sounds relatively easy. I would rather start day 1 early, head up Grays by early afternoon and head over towards the Lithabolong valley south of Ships Prow, a lovely place to set up camp (if quite windy at times), good water availability. My main reason for suggesting this is that day 1 can indeed be started early since its from the car park, i.e. no packing before the start.

This would make day 2 better, still not a breeze but less of a slog.

More
04 Sep 2013 06:09 #58358 by ghaznavid
Myself and ASL did day 1 of that route earlier this year - very doable in a day. If I was feeling ok that day we would have been on the escarpment by 3 (we stated at first light). We didn't push it at all and stopped for plenty of breaks.

Judge Pass is great - you can do it quite quickly, but the walk to reach it from the top of Gray's is long. I like Highland's suggestion - get up Gray's early and cut some distance off day 2.

More
04 Sep 2013 07:36 #58359 by Jürgen Hellberg
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and advice.

More
08 Dec 2016 07:37 #70349 by Rebecca
Hello!

I would very much appreciate some insight into the following 6.5 day hike we plan to do, starting on Dec 12. We have mountain experience and have spent many a trip in the Drakensberg, but are new to being chief navigators.

Our plan is as follows:
1) Arrive at Injisuthi camp early enough to sort out permits and make it to Marble bath cave
2) Head up and complete Leslie's pass and sleep somewhere close to the top
3) Upper Injisuthi Cave
4) Rest day to climb Mafadi; sleep in Upper Injisuthi cave again
5) Nkososana cave
6) Down Grays Pass; sleep in the little berg
7) back to injisuthi camp

Basically, it would be great to have some insight into the daily route. Leslie's pass we have lots of info on, but if anyone could offer any information\route descriptions for the other days, that would be great. The weather is set to be rainy, so anticipating less than ideal visibility. We have maps, compasses, memory of the walks, etc., but it would be great to have some route descriptions, too.

Thanks!

We are very excited!

More
08 Dec 2016 13:25 #70354 by tiska
Hi Rebecca -
the staging of the route and the route itself looks very do-able.
Day 2 up Leslie's Pass looks like the hardest day (5-6 hours of uphill)
Day 3 to Upper Inj cave looks like the easiest walking day (2-3 hours without any steep uphill).

Its not a bad idea to build in one easy day like Day 3 in the summer because mist can stop progress completely, esp with no GPS. If you do have a GPS you can still plod on when the mist comes over as it often does in the afternoon.

If you are going well on Day 1, then consider heading to the base of Leslie's Pass instead of Marble Baths - assuming you have a tent with you. This will make the next day easier and you might be able to get to Upper Inj Cave by end of Day 2.

I assume also that you will come down Shada ridge from Blind Man's Corner to get back to Injasuthi? That route is the clearest. Other ways back involve following the contour path into the Injisuthi area but that path is very overgrown in the river valleys and isn't much fun.

More
09 Dec 2016 06:37 #70360 by Rebecca
Thanks for the insight!

Could you tell me a little bit more about going down Shada ridge - what is the name of the pass, and are there any important decisions going down that may be a bit ambiguous

I am also struggling to find route descriptions for getting from Upper Injisuthi to Nkosasana cave. Do you have any thoughts on that
It is exactly as you say - when the mist comes in, it is very difficult to know where one is, and the weather is set to be very rainy.

Thank you - appreciate the advice!

More
09 Dec 2016 08:13 #70361 by Rebecca
And with our descent - to follow your advice - if we are going down Shada Ridge, what is your recommended route from Nkosasana cave

Thanks! (sorry, my question mark tab is broken)

More