Monk's Cowl - Injisuthi link-up via escarpment

22 Feb 2017 17:52 - 22 Feb 2017 17:54 #70984 by Smurfatefrog

ghaznavid wrote: I am reasonably sure TonyM has done a detailed writeup on Grays, but I can't seem to find it - hence links to writeups on using Grays Pass.

You're probably thinking of that other chap called Ghaznavid, he did a detailed write up here www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/55365-gray-s-pass-rd.html

This thread is kept updated with pass links www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/4776-forum-pass-descriptions-index.html
Last edit: 22 Feb 2017 17:54 by Smurfatefrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2017 13:43 #71011 by ralphcopeiv
First of all just want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this website. Really is a godsend!

Second: I've just returned from an overnight trek up Grays Pass to the Champagne Castle. The pass looks like it's taken a beating, as there are numerous rock and mud slides along the way, but the trail is still manageable. I also ran into a Besotho smuggler, but it was a harmless transaction.

Lastly: I'm still thinking about doing either the Corner Pass or Judge's Pass in one go from the Injisuthi Campground and was wondering if either of those would be comparable to doing Grays Pass from the Cowl Parking Lot in one day. It took me about 9 hours, and I was pretty whipped afterwards, but it also rained hard on me after I got about a third of the way up the pass. Misery.

Thanks again!

More
26 Feb 2017 18:29 #71017 by ghaznavid
Well done! Would be awesome to read your writeup if you do one :thumbsup:

ralphcopeiv wrote: Lastly: I'm still thinking about doing either the Corner Pass or Judge's Pass in one go from the Injisuthi Campground and was wondering if either of those would be comparable to doing Grays Pass from the Cowl Parking Lot in one day. It took me about 9 hours, and I was pretty whipped afterwards, but it also rained hard on me after I got about a third of the way up the pass. Misery.

It is harder to do Gray's in a day than Corner or Judge in a day - so you should be fine. Corner is hard to descend, but there is also Around the Corner Pass (which tops out between the two and has a good trail - GPS in the downloads section) - which has easier scrambles.

If you descend Judge Pass, just be aware that the trail keeps going past the contour path, and it is very easy to miss the turnoff. There is a small cairn to mark it - but the contour path is quite vague over there, it is also higher than normal.

From Injisuthi you will want to use the Northern High Approach route to get to either Around the Corner Pass or Corner Pass. Corner Pass has no trail, the other 2 both have good trails.

More
10 Dec 2017 19:08 #72480 by Alaric
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on Hiking from Injusuthi to Monks cowl via Leslie's pass and down Greys pass.

Thinking of doing it as a 2 night hike. First day from Injusuthi up Leslie's pass and camp at the top. Next night in iNkosana cave or camping near by. Then down to Monks cowl camp the next day.

There will be 2 or 3 of us hiking. All guys in our late 20s and pretty fit.

Please give me any advice and suggestions you may have.

Many thanks

More
11 Dec 2017 07:49 #72483 by Gkotzee
I would suggest your first day to be only halfway up Leslie's, there is space to camp just where the path traverses back into the valley from the ridge (the ridge you climb from the main Leslie's campsite lower down). The cave at the top of Grays sucks in wet weather (and most other times also...), so rather camp. Otherwise your plan sounds great

More
11 Dec 2017 09:03 #72484 by Riaang
If you are pretty fit then one day to get to the top of Leslies is very doable, nice camping spots just below the pass near the river.
Your day 2 will be a very relaxed one (compared to day 1 :-) ). Nkosana cave is definitely crappy, rather tent near the pass head.

Enjoy!

More