Sentinel Car Park to Cathedral Peak - Northern Berg Escarpment Traverse

03 Oct 2013 07:20 #58676 by Josh of the Bushveld

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2013 15:15 #58686 by Sterkhorn
@Climbhard said:

So im confused about the cost involved with hiking in the berg. Im hiking from sentinal car park to cathedral peak over 5 days. what are the entire costs involved with hiking up there and where would I book.

These links may be helpful: The Mt Aux Sources - Amphitheatre - Tugela thread and Grand Traverse Permits
You can also ask for the "Traverse" option of R100 once-off. If the toll gate is manned, they may ask you for the R40 per day. Just inform them that you are doing a traverse and will pay at the carpark.
No booking is required to hike from there and there is a Rescue register at the carpark (taking into account the above comments in the 2nd link).

More
04 Oct 2013 04:42 #58690 by Serious tribe
Ya I think it is R40 per day and about R30 for entrance fee.

More
15 Oct 2013 08:14 #58802 by intrepid

Climbhard wrote: Hi guys
Day 1: Mahai to sentinal
Day 2:sentinal to fangs cave(is this possible)
Day 3:Fang pass to ledgers cave
Day 4:ledgers cave to twins cave
Day 5:twins cave via bell traverse to cathedral peak hotel

Anything is possible, but day 2 can be long by conventional standards (it does also depend on how far you get on Day 1). You can reach the Fangs area pretty quickly by using the back ways through Lesotho, but you would skip a large portion of the escarpment. You can also take short-cuts to the Ifidi or the Icidi areas which will speed things up.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
12 Mar 2014 19:36 #59841 by relevitt
How realistic would it be for two *averagely* fit blokes to go from Sentinel Carpark to CPH via Organ Pipes in five days in mid-May?

Last year, I went via Mlambonja in five days in March/April. I think we could have gone further, because we got up quite late and took our time in places (nothing wrong with that). Days will be shorter in May.

We'll have a tent, so not reliant on Caves.

R

More
12 Mar 2014 19:51 #59842 by ghaznavid
Doesn't sound tough. So you did Mlambonja to Sentinel in 5 days? If so you should easily do this in 5 days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: relevitt

More
12 Mar 2014 21:36 #59845 by intrepid
I agree, sounds realistic. The fact that you've done the route before always helps. Just plan your days right so that it doesn't start crunching towards the end.

The following user(s) said Thank You: relevitt

More
08 Apr 2014 17:11 #60237 by Herman
For our upcoming mini-traverse, I'm looking for a couple of good campsites on the Mnweni escarpment. It's a big group and I think we'll move slowly. So I'd like to have a larger repertoire than the usual Mbundini/Mponj-area/Xeni, just in case we need it. I guess you can camp in most places, but if anyone is willing to share a gem it would be much appreciated!

Also, are there any good ones specifically between Rockeries and Xeni? Ntonjelana gets a lot of traffic and I'd like to avoid that if possible, but camping somewhere around the Saddle would fit in nicely with our Cockade-Cleft-Organ Pipes plans.

Thank you!

More
08 Apr 2014 18:15 #60238 by ghaznavid
There's a nice one above Icidi Pass. That large cut through on the escarpment edge that forms a large escarpment valley in SA has good water and we pitched 5 tents there without any difficulty. Added bonuses - the view from the edge if you head up the nearby peaks B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Herman

More
08 Apr 2014 21:10 #60240 by intrepid
Just South of Nguza Pass, close to the river-confluence, right by the river, good flat area with small pools further upstream. From that spot, walking on and curling around directly for the arc of the Saddle, you could find more areas, not sure if it would cater well for a large group though.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Herman

More