Centenary Hut Restoration

19 Mar 2016 12:22 - 19 Mar 2016 12:24 #67399 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Centenary Hut Restoration
@Bobby, can you get some details on the specs of the polycarb sheets? I can try and tap one of my suppliers for a good price.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 19 Mar 2016 12:24 by Viking. Reason: edit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2016 18:45 #67406 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Centenary Hut Restoration
I have informed the Park Manager, Senior Conservation Manager Central Berg & Conservation Manager Injasuthi of this proposal. The Park Manager has indicated that this has now been placed on the agenda for the next meeting of the Park Management Committee, which is scheduled for 21 April 2016. They will revert back to us after this meeting.

So we have a month to find someone who will head up this project, assuming it gets a green light, and we also have some homework to do in getting measurements and other details to have a better idea of the work to be done and what materials will be used.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
21 Mar 2016 19:27 #67409 by Papa Dragon

intrepid wrote: I hadn't voiced it much yet, but I did have some thoughts on theft and vandalism, so to hear how strong the poly-carbonate is, and that it can be epoxied on instead of using putty is very good to hear.

Please check up on this before using the epoxy, I epoxied poly-carb to steel before and it delaminated, and then was advised by an industrial chemist that it wouldn't bond.

Perhaps there is a technique that needs to be used. Just a heads-up....
The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, Macc

More
21 Mar 2016 19:54 #67410 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Centenary Hut Restoration
Good to be aware of. We definitely need to asses the work, technique and materials properly before starting anything. Will be good to get a broad input.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
22 Mar 2016 08:50 #67418 by BobbyStanton
I have spoken to Dave Sclanders but he cannot remember some of the details about the materials used. It was ten yars ago when he repaired Bannerman Hut. The thickness of his polycarbonate sheets was the same as normal window glass, probably 3mm. The sheets were cut to size by the firm he bought it from. He bought the glue from Halls Adhesives in Pietermaritzburg. It was the correct glue to use for polycarbonate on to steel. I guess that many questions need to be asked about the technical details. These products will have improved over the years.

Bobby

More
23 Mar 2016 17:28 #67451 by supertramp
I'll be fully committed to assist with such a project. Even though I'm not much of a handyman I'm known to be able to carry a sufficiently heavy load :hike: :)

Will also happily make a financial contribution to such a cause.

More
23 Mar 2016 19:46 #67455 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Centenary Hut Restoration
I am also happy to assist financially as far as I can. Won't say no to some time in Injisuthi either!

More
25 Mar 2016 18:19 #67477 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Centenary Hut Restoration
I'd love to help out and get involved if I can - please keep me in the loop!

More
29 Mar 2016 14:41 #67510 by Neil Margetts
Hi guys

We went past the Centenary hut last weekend, it is needing a lot of work, I was thinking perhaps it would be a possible plan for one local with some entrepreneurial motivation to make it his project to run a small accommodation business. EKZN Parks lease him the hut at a small fee, he fixes it up and people stay there. I would pay R100 to stay in the hut a night to support him. There is increasing popularity of that route for guided trips to Mafadi.

As far as us fixing this up, my thinking for now what's left of 2016 and with the availability of time and money, it may be a better idea to look at the hut above the Tugela falls, fix up to just like a cave, no more. I will post another thread on this alternative project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler

More
29 Mar 2016 15:09 #67511 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Centenary Hut Restoration

Neil Margetts wrote: Hi guys

We went past the Centenary hut last weekend,

More importantly, how did the triplets mission go?

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More