The Chain Ladders

18 May 2011 13:05 #55740 by Stijn
The Chain Ladders was created by Stijn
This is undoubtedly the most popular and heavily-used trail to the escarpment in the entire Drakensberg. The path is very well defined and usually quite crowded during weekends and holidays. The only obstacle on the way to the top is the chain ladder itself which ascends the final 30m of cliff face in two sections. The ladder should only pose a problem to those with a fear of heights.
Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2012 19:54 #55741 by ChrisPatient
Replied by ChrisPatient on topic The Chain Ladders
Is the berg water still has pure and as good to drink as it always was? Especially on top of the amphitheatre.

More
13 Dec 2012 08:21 #55757 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic The Chain Ladders
Tugela on top of Amphitheatre is fine, I've never had issues. Some minor pastoral activities in the area but not enough to impact water quality. Same goes for rivers further east along the escarpment of the Amphi. Obviously always use running water, there are some marches which should off course be avoided.

Enjoy.

More
13 Dec 2012 10:44 #55758 by ChrisPatient
Replied by ChrisPatient on topic The Chain Ladders
Thanks. I allways remember bergwater as being some of the purest water in the world and I look forward to sampling it again on the top of the Tugela falls.

More
13 Dec 2012 21:32 #55760 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic The Chain Ladders
I never drink from the Tugela...way too much traffic up there for my liking! Most other parts of the KZN Berg, yes.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
17 Dec 2012 14:48 #55764 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic The Chain Ladders

intrepid wrote: I never drink from the Tugela...way too much traffic up there for my liking! Most other parts of the KZN Berg, yes.

Ditto that Sir!

Just wouldn't have referred to what we had to dodge - stepping in - last time as 'traffic' !

More
04 Jan 2016 19:04 #66274 by myriam
Replied by myriam on topic The Chain Ladders
Hi,
It is Myriam from Spain. I am organizing 15 days hiking in the Drakensberg with colleagues of my mountain club ( www.montanapegaso.com ). Do you know how I can rent a hut in Sentinel Car Park?
Regards,
Myriam
The following user(s) said Thank You: mafu

More
04 Jan 2016 21:45 #66275 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic The Chain Ladders
Hi Myriam

Welcome to VE.

At Sentinel Carpark there is only one large dormitory with about 12 bunk beds (no matresses), no electricity and no water. I may be wrong but it seems to be standard practice to just book when you arrive; if the hut is full then you may have to camp in the carpark.

A more comfortable option is to stay at Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge http://www.witsieshoek.co.za/ which is about 8km before Sentinel Carpark. If required they can also arrange transport from the Lodge to the Carpark.

make a difference. today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: myriam

More
06 Apr 2018 18:53 - 06 Apr 2018 18:56 #73135 by Herman
Replied by Herman on topic The Chain Ladders
I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere on VE and I didn't see it, but it seems as though the chain ladders will be replaced and are closed until the end of May 2018. The gully will still be open.

www.witsieshoek.co.za/blog/amphitheater-chain-ladders-being-replaced

EDIT: My apologies - I see it has been discussed elsewhere. Missed it!
Last edit: 06 Apr 2018 18:56 by Herman.

More
28 Apr 2018 19:33 #73318 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic The Chain Ladders
I saw on Instagram people using the chain ladders a day ago. My father in law was there today (28 April 2018) and he went up them no problem. There was no sign or warning not to use them, nor any signs to use the gulley.

So work has obviously not started at all. TIA :silly:

More