Drakensberg Caves GPS Co-ordinates

05 Feb 2016 12:37 #66895 by BobbyStanton
QGis is available here:
www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html

and the S A spatial vector data (contours, rivers, roads, etc) is here. You might have to phone them as their website is a mess:
www.ngi.gov.za/index.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: mayake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2017 20:54 - 06 Jan 2017 21:37 #70537 by intrepid
I have published a much needed update on the cave GPS data download:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/downloads/download/9-drakensberg-caves/5-gps-data-of-caves-in-the-ukhahlamba-drakensberg-park.html

The number of listed waypoints has increased from 73 to 107. Note that there are many more waypoints that could be added, but for the time being I have decided not to (for example, some unnamed shelters may simply be too unreliable to promote in this way). I also do not list rock art shelters (with a few established exceptions), or caves that are officially closed to hikers for other reasons.

I would like to issue a "recall" of the name "Dagga Planter's Cave". Please forget this name and do not use it. It was an arbitrary name I assigned to what is actually Five Star Cave, and I apologise for the confusion that the introduction of this name has caused. There have been differences of opinion as to which cave is Five Star, depending on which tradition you were taught. This has now been cleared up, and more can be read about it in the thread Which cave is Five Star Cave? . Note that this error still persists on some maps.

Several shelters and caves listed in the download file do not have official, or even widely known colloquial names. In these cases I have traditionally simply given my own name. or used names suggested by others. I would like to emphasize that these names are suggestive, and that they are open for scrutiny and should assigned other names, if already in existence, or if the new name is shown to be more appropriate. The Berg has many cases of erroneous, inappropriate and misplaced names, and given the community we have here now, I submit that we can do much better when it comes to naming things. As a step in this direction, where appropriate I have now flagged caves with the text "*suggested name*" in the comments space of the waypoint. This means the name is still open for scrutiny and wider input, in my view.

As I update various downloads, I am now also adding the official forum link in the download description text, where all relevant discussion, updates and corrections relating to the data can be posted. This particular thread is the official one for the caves download.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2017 21:37 by intrepid. Reason: 107 waypoints total in download now
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, MarkT, tonymarshall, Andreas, Papa Dragon

More
07 Jan 2017 09:16 #70540 by MarkT
That's awesome, thanks intrepid. My suggestion would be to strip the dates out of the waypoints. When I open the gpx in Google Earth, there is a time slider that appears at the top left, and if I move the sliders, some of the caves disappear and reappear. I don't know why this happens, I expect it's because each one has an associated date and Google Earth thinks you might want to hide the old ones?

More
08 Jan 2017 21:39 #70561 by intrepid
@MarkT: thanks for drawing my attention to this. I have now removed the <time> tag where it was present for certain waypoints from the GPX data. This should account for the behaviour you saw on Google Earth. The new version is now available on the download page.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkT, Andreas, Rhinoandhedgehog

More
09 Jan 2017 10:06 #70571 by MarkT
Thanks so much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redshift3

More
23 Apr 2017 15:43 #71410 by WarrenM
Hi Team - I just wanted to appreciate everyone that has been involved in putting together these co-ords. of the cave, we found Roland's for the first time this weekend in the dark on Friday night, fairly easily as a result of using the details above.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redshift3

More
18 May 2017 12:39 #71630 by Robkatt
Hi Guys for the technically challenged, which software opens the cave and peak coordinates?

More
18 May 2017 12:41 #71631 by ghaznavid

Robkatt wrote: Hi Guys for the technically challenged, which software opens the cave and peak coordinates?

Basecamp and Google Earth are the easiest. Both are free downloads.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
18 May 2017 15:17 #71632 by Robkatt
Thanks Bud

More
30 Jul 2017 16:58 #71945 by Rhinoandhedgehog
For the next update I can add;

Caracal Cave S29 17.548 E029 35.843 Elevation 1853 Max 12 people

Aasvoelkrans Upper S29 18.019 E029 37.660 Elevation 1910 Max 12 people

Aasvoelkrans Lower S29 18.037 E029 37.670 Elevation 1897 Max 12 people

All close to a good water supply.

All can be downloaded here with the routes
Highmoor - The Three Highmoor Caves

More