Drakensberg Caves GPS Co-ordinates

29 May 2018 17:28 #73557 by Rhinoandhedgehog
We notice that the following cave is not in the downloadable file hopefully can be added with the next up date along with the caves list above.

Barker's Chalet S28 56.123 E029 11.137 Elevation 1733m Max 10 people (looks like it could hold more).

Good water supply all year round.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2019 06:28 #75249 by intrepid
I have finally gotten around to putting out an update to the caves GPS data download. Up until this point the data has been only that which I have captured personally, for this update I have included data from Rhinoandhedgehog and from MarkT -  thank you for contributing! The following caves were added: Venice Cave, Chameleon Cave, Barker's Chalet, Aasvoelkraans Cave and Caracal Cave.

Further contributions to this download file are welcome and the contributors are acknowledged on the main download page for the file . Contributions should be data that is as accurate and reliable, so please only submit good readings that you are confident of. I know sometimes the weather and location make accurate readings difficult. Reviews of existing waypoints in the download file are also welcome (for example if more accurate readings are available).

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkT, Andreas, Dave, Super_mil

More
14 Aug 2019 13:11 #75254 by Dillon
The location for Aasvoelkrans Cave seems to be incorrect in the latest download, it's actually about 400m to the NE.

I don't have the data for Caracal Cave, but at first glance the waypoint also appears to be about 400m South of the actual cave.

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
14 Aug 2019 20:24 #75256 by intrepid
Thanks for picking up on that Dillon. I had my own reading for Aasvoelkrans Cave which I dug up from my files now and have updated the file accordingly. I have removed Caracal Cave for now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PeterHowells

More
15 Aug 2019 22:52 #75259 by Sterkhorn
I have the following co-ordinates for Caracal Cave, taken last year on a borrowed GPS (assured that it was set on correct settings): -29.288953°   29.599789° and the attached .kmz file.
Trust they are correct.

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

More
22 Aug 2019 21:25 #75274 by intrepid
Thanks Sterkhorn.

I will be releasing a new version of the download in a few days. Are there any other additions or corrections that anyone wants to add?

More
Yesterday 09:54 #75276 by Dillon

intrepid wrote: Thanks Sterkhorn.

I will be releasing a new version of the download in a few days. Are there any other additions or corrections that anyone wants to add?

Lower Injisuthi Cave

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More