State of the road to Injisuthi

15 Nov 2011 13:18 #4805 by john mark 1
I totally agree about the condition of the road. However, last time I was at Injisuthi (not too long ago), there were lots of 'ordinary' cars there- even a few vw citi golfs, so it is possible if you are prepared to take it slowly.

Here's another angle to the bad road condition. Injisuthi is one of the cheaper places in the berg where one can stay and have such great access to the mountains directly from the campsite. If the road were to be fixed up, I am sure that the prices would also start rising significantly. I personally hope that the road is never fixed up to such a degree that this happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2011 13:23 #4807 by elandman
True that John... agreed.

However I would prefer it to at least be passable in the average non suv/bakkie/4x4 type car. Graded dirt is fine. Unkept, rutted, stony excuse for a cattle path type road I think is a bit much!

People are brave in their smaller cars, I give you that. Some aren't, me included. I don't replace my cars every 2 years or like to replace suspension under service plans every year like most do.

More
15 Nov 2011 13:30 #4809 by ghaznavid
I don't agree, if you look at most berg reserves, eg Garden Castle and Giant's Castle, a day hike permit is R25 each, R13 for children, free for school groups and R45 for overnight. The R45 overnight is standard throughout the Berg and the most expensive day permit is R40 for RNNP and Kamberg, followed by R35 for Monks Cowl and Didima. If you look at road like Giant's Castle (via the Kamberg Rd, not the GC road), they aren't particularly bad. I'd rather pay R35 for a day at Injisuthi than pay R2500 to replace my tyres. Although thanks for the advice, I actually do have to replace my tyres, I'm now going to wait for next year (ie after my hike) to do this.

More
15 Nov 2011 13:39 #4813 by john mark 1
"I don't replace my cars every 2 years or like to replace suspension under service plans every year like most do."

Elandman, I'm not one of the "most" :) Ha ha, but I hear your point. I totally agree that it should be doable in an ordinary car without the risk of damage.

Ghaznavid, when I was talking about prices, I was meaning to stay in the chalets/cabins (or whatever one calls them). Fixing up the road properly would be a big bonus for guys who aren't wanting to sleep over in the campsite as you have pointed out with the permits etc.

More
15 Nov 2011 13:41 #4815 by elandman

More
15 Nov 2011 13:48 #4816 by ghaznavid
Fair enough (ha ha fare enough), I have slept over in the Berg a few times, summary as follows:
- tent near pillar cave Dec 2009
- I'm Sure its Not a Cave Nov 2010
- Bannerman Hut Jan 2011
- Bannerman Hut twice in Apr 2011
- Swiman Hut July 2011
- Pillar Cave Oct 2011

The most expensive of those costs R75 per night and includes a hiking permit! I guess it becomes a different story when you are a qualified person (which I should be later today if UNISA doesn't delay honours results again) or for those with a wife and kids.

More
28 Apr 2012 18:04 #53672 by Smurfatefrog
I was a little wary of this road but was pleasantly surprised this weekend...
The 30KM is made up as follows: (Loskop to Injisuthi)
10KM good tar with the odd pothole
10KM newly re-surfaced tar, no problems at all
4KM dirt road, not great but you shouldn't have any problems going slowly
6KM good tar with the odd pothole (this is gate to camp)

There is one section in the tar where the road has collapsed which requires a short dirt road detour, about 300m

More
27 Sep 2012 15:46 - 27 Sep 2012 15:47 #55346 by tiska
Here is a brief update on the road to Injisuthi from mid September 2012.

From the T junction turn off near the shoe factory the road is good for 21 km. The stretch has a few holes but the tar is generally good. The only slow patch is at 17km where there is a diversion around the bridge washout. The slab for the new bridge has been laid and the 15m of the approach to the slab were being worked on in mid Sept. The dirt road diversion round the works is fine though.

The next 4 km from the repaired bridge to the last Kraal is good tar too now. But the next 4 km from the last kraal to the park gate is rough. On the uphill/downhill stretches all the dirt road aggregate has been eroded away leaving a bouldery surface. In places you need to choose your line carefully to get the necessary clearance. Last year I took a panel of plastic off the hire-car on this stretch. Well I half took it off. The N3 near Escourt took care of the rest. After the gate and to the camp (8 km or so) the road is tar and quite smooth.

Why is the stretch from the last kraal to the park gate so bad when the other bits are now fixed? This covers part of the reserve where it appears that no one is allowed to build but where grazing and fire wood collection is permitted - so it is a mixture of used and protected land. I would not be surprised if there is now a dispute between authorities on who is responsible for maintaining this section of road.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2012 15:47 by tiska.

More
27 Sep 2012 16:32 #55348 by john mark 1
You summed it up pretty well therte mnt_tiska. That "bouldery surface" is a good way of describing it. Even if they just chucked a lot of gravel ontop, it would be much better (til the next big rains washes it all away :S )

I have to smile every time I hear of that bridge they are repairing. They've been working (sleeping?) on it for a solid 3 or so years now! Slowly and surely :thumbsup: (hopefully :blink: )

More
20 Dec 2012 16:22 #55780 by Sterkhorn
Just an update on the road.

The first section after the Shoe Factory turnoff has a few more pot-holes than before (about 7 km), requiring extra caution (maybe due to all the recent rain).

The bridge is now open, so the small detour is no longer required.

The rest of the route is pretty much the same as mnt_tiska described.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hermann

More