Drakensberg Cable Car

06 Dec 2013 08:22 #59180 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Drakensberg Cable Car

Mabuyakhulu says public consultation is expected to wrap up at the end of this month.

I guess its a bit like the e-tolls consultation. A bit of badly advertised public consultation is apparently good enough. And now they have announced that KZN and the Western Cape will have e-tolls by the end of next year...

Did anyone get to the meeting? Would be interesting to know what was said.

If it was a company meeting (which it wasn't - sadly political and state matters are held to lower standards than company issues, e.g. a person with a criminal record can be president, but not a director of a company):

Section 62(1) of the Companies Act - Notice of meetings:

The company must deliver a notice of each shareholders meeting in the prescribed manner and form to all of the shareholders of the company as of the record date for the meeting, at least—
(a) 15 business days before the meeting is to begin, in the case of a public company or a nonprofit company that has voting members; or
(b) 10 business days before the meeting is to begin, in any other case.

Surely a public consultation should be held to at least the same level of notice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2013 16:51 - 06 Dec 2013 16:53 #59186 by Guardian
Replied by Guardian on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
I would expect at least 10 days warning before a meeting of this importance! Scary that they are steamrolling ahead so quickly.

I am a little bit torn on this cable car. I can see the reason, but I can see the flaws, And they are big.
In the beginning of this thread there was questions regarding money being put away for dismantling of the structure in case of bankruptcy (Possible regarding the unrealistic numbers expected), now after reading all these documents and proposals, I realise that I haven't seen anything preparing for removal? As far as I understand the law demands it. Is this normal in proposals and feasibility studies? I would expect it to be part of the planning from the beginning?
This is the most important question on my mind. (Along with the vultures, the community and their futile hard work for the protected area and the impact on the top of the berg).
Last edit: 06 Dec 2013 16:53 by Guardian.

More
07 Dec 2013 04:17 #59189 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
The report from the ecr website mentions that the Public Participation Process PPP is to end at the end of Dec.

Bearing in mind, that according to Regulation 54 relating to the Public Participation Process PPP in the EIA docs, It says that no PPP may take place during the period of 15 December to 2 Jan.

So not sure if there are any more planned for next week, because they would have to wait until after 2 Jan.

More
09 Dec 2013 05:16 #59194 by Drakensbergie
Replied by Drakensbergie on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
If the local people want to have their area included in the Heritage Site, why don’t we help the aMazizi and aMangwane people appeal to UNESCO for the area to be included on the World Heritage in Danger List...? If they have been hoping to have the area included in the WH Site, maybe this strategy can help fast-track the process of inclusion... If they really want the area to be protected, they must appeal to the world body responsible.

Instead of appealing to tender-hungry MEC's and engineering firms, if we can help the local people garner international protection before this thing gets off the ground, maybe we can help save the area from the grubby and corrupt paws of the politicians... There should be someone in the community that we can contact regarding this? Maybe set up a proper consultation meeting between UNESCO and the local community?

If the correct consultation procedures aren’t being followed, if the issue is being unduly fast-tracked… There should some legal grounds to appeal to? There should also be enough documentation (shoddy feasibility docs…), news articles etc. to work from on this thread. Maybe Ghaz can draw up some financial model to indicate the inevitable failure of the project.

Any VE member fluent in legalese?

The Unesco World Heritage Centre can be contacted on:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The South African commission to UNESCO can be found here:

South African National Commission for UNESCO
Address:
123 Schoeman Street
0001 Pretoria
South Africa
Mail Address:
Private Bag X895
0001 Pretoria
South Africa

Phone +(27-12) 357 3486 (SG)

Reuben Lefoka (Culture): +(27-12) 357 3477;
Zodwa Tsajwa (Education): +(27-12) 357 3489;
Lefika Chetty (Science and Communication): +(27-12) 357 3496
Fax +(27-12) 323 0388 (SG)
Reuben Lefoka (Culture): +(27-12) 323 2348;
Zodwa Tsajwa (Education): +(27-12) 323 2348;
Lefika Chetty (Science and Communication): +(27-12) 323 2348
E-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (SG); This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Culture Sector); This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Name Mr Yousaf Gabru
Title Chairperson

Name Prof. S. Makhanya
Title Deputy Chairperson (acting Chairperson)

Name Mr Carlton Mukwevho
Title Secretary-General

Name Mr Tshifhiwa Netshituni
Title Programme Officer for the Culture Sector

As for myself, I’ll chain myself to the rockface when this thing gets started… ;) That’s about as far as my skills in these matters go ☺
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

More
09 Dec 2013 05:27 #59195 by Frosty Ice
Replied by Frosty Ice on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
Not a bad idea darkwing...

As long as there are no bolts attaching the chains to the rockface I will be there too!

More
09 Dec 2013 06:00 #59196 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
@DarwingDave: thanks for the input. This is something already in progress.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drakensbergie

More
09 Dec 2013 16:04 - 09 Dec 2013 16:04 #59198 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Drakensberg Cable Car

DarkwingDave wrote: There should also be enough documentation (shoddy feasibility docs…), news articles etc. to work from on this thread. Maybe Ghaz can draw up some financial model to indicate the inevitable failure of the project.

Its on my to do list - along with a fairly high number of other things. And here I was thinking I was going to have a quiet December :laugh:

DarkwingDave wrote: Any VE member fluent in legalese?

Not fluent, but all accountants can speak legalese as a 2nd language...
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 16:04 by ghaznavid.

More
10 Dec 2013 08:44 #59205 by Bergie
Replied by Bergie on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
The motivation never made sense to me. I had suspected that the engineering company was taking some optimistic entrepreneur for a ride, but I suspect that "tender-hungry MEC's and engineering firms" hits the nail on the head. If greedy politicians are involved the whole matter becomes highly ominous and not to be laughed off, as I was formerly inclined to do.

Well done those have submitted written objections.

I wouldn't mind joining the bivouac on the rock face.

More
17 Dec 2013 06:27 #59228 by intrepid
A very important statement has been released by the AmaZizi Tribal Authority, the AmaZizi Wilderness Group and the Mnweni Wilderness Working Team. It was released to the media last week, and appeared in an article in The Witness on Friday.

Their statement can be downloaded here .

The Witness article can be read here .

Please note their appeal for assistance in letting the world know about this. You can help them by circulating their statement widely. Please send it to all your friends, be it via email, Facebook, or otherwise. Please also send their statement to any form of media that you can. If you have ever wondered how you can help, this would be one of your opportunities! More on this will follow, but for now, please help in spreading the word.

More
18 Dec 2013 19:22 - 18 Dec 2013 20:04 #59262 by intrepid
An important set of notes on the December 5 business meeting is available, which was compiled by an attendee of the meeting. These notes can be downloaded here:
www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway/documents/Notes-from-business-meeting-5-Dec-2013-Nora-Choveaux.pdf

From these notes we have the following update: market testing will commence January 2014 and the business plan will be finalised in February 2014. After this they will probably take the decision whether or not to proceed to EIA.

We are also of the understanding that all comments for the feasibility study, the draft business plan and the technical report must be submitted by the end of December 2013. These are the three documents concerned:
www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway/documents/Cableway-Feasibility-Study-GMA-130713.pdf
www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway/documents/Cableway-Engineering-PreFeasibility-Study-from-Kuka-for-GMA-200913.pdf
www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway/documents/Cableway-Business-Plan-Final-Draft-GMA-141013.pdf

A central information page has now been made available which lists all important information relating to the proposal, in particular all relevant documentation, statements and media articles which have been released. This page contains more links than are currently listed in this forum thread. It is a very valuable resource for raising awareness, so please circulate this link widely:
www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway/

I would like to appeal to all readers of this forum and to the public at large to carefully read through the documentation that is available and consider what is at stake. I encourage organisations and individuals to formally submit their comments. These comments may be posted on this thread in order to collect them. We will ensure that they are delivered. Should you not wish to post them on this forum, you may also email them to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Even if you only have a few lines, your comments and your responses are vital - do not think they are insignificant, and it doesn't matter if somebody else has already said something similar.

In your comments it is important that you specify which of the above three mentioned documents you are referring to, and that you respond to points made in these, even specifying the page number. Please also supply your name, city and province, and if applicable, your qualifications and experience.

You may also send your comments directly to Graham Muller Associates. Be sure to ask them for an acknowledgement of receipt, and please also send us a copy. Their contact details may be found here:
www.grahammuller.co.za/Contact%20Details.htm

Please let us have these comments before December 31st.

Let your voice be heard!

Last edit: 18 Dec 2013 20:04 by intrepid.

More