Drakensberg GPS maps

06 Sep 2018 05:17 #73934 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
For a while, I have been wanting to bring out an updated version of the Drakensberg GPS map.  It is finally here!

The updated map gives the following:
- DEM data is now included in the map (thanks to an upgrade to the program I use to complie the map, MKGMAP).  This means hillshading works which some people may like.  To me the biggest improvement is that if you create a route, it will now not only show you a profile, but can add up the cumulated ascent/descent.
- I have extended the map area slightly. So, instead of showing half the Skyrun, you now get the entire route. And there is enough coverage up north to ensure that all options for the X-Berg challenge are covered as well
- A whole lot of extra peaks, paths and such like
- An improved symbol set and a more streamlined POI index so that you can find what you want
- A few extra things that I am sure you will find soon enough

The map now comes in 3 flavours:
- the original .exe file for use on a Windows machine running Basecamp,  here
- an .img file that can be saved directly to your device and can be used by Mac users,  here
- an OSMAnd version for Android phones,  here . 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2018 11:38 #73936 by MarkT
Replied by MarkT on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Thanks Andrew, I have them installed on OSMAnd, it's necessary to deactivate the standard SA map first and then choose "Offline Vector maps" and then zoom up to the berg and they show up. These are a great addition to the maps quiver. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP

More
06 Sep 2018 12:15 #73937 by GriffBaker
Replied by GriffBaker on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Thank's  Andrew

I also just installed on OSMAnd and all seems to be there. Very cool addition.

I had to do what Mark T advised to get it to show up.

More
18 Sep 2018 10:34 #74011 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
hmm, I must be having a brain fart, but how do you navigate to the below options in OSMAnd,  I've been clicking around "settings" for last half hour but can't seem to find any option for "offline vector map"?

was this with the paid for version?

MarkT wrote: Thanks Andrew, I have them installed on OSMAnd, it's necessary to deactivate the standard SA map first and then choose "Offline Vector maps" and then zoom up to the berg and they show up. These are a great addition to the maps quiver. Thanks!

More
18 Sep 2018 11:53 #74013 by firephish
ah, found option to disable under the "downloads" section, that works, now can see the map. Just contour lines are not showing ... but that seems to be a feature of the paid for version.

More
18 Sep 2018 17:51 #74014 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
It seems that to see contours, you do need the paid for add-in, I think it is about R10 or R20. You do not need the paid for version of the app itself though.

If you do that, then of course you can just use the osmand contour maps for kzn and lesotho instead of my files. I had hoped to provide a work around for people without the addin, but it does not help.

More
18 Sep 2018 21:06 #74015 by leeuw
Replied by leeuw on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Hi Andrew. Yes you need the paid plug in for the contour line to show. I have both the paid and free version and tested it accordingly. 

Yes the standard contour maps for Lesotho and Kzn does provide tracks ect but I installed your map and it works along side the osmand vector maps. I compared it with what osmand vector maps shows and what your map shows. Your map adds alot more details and paths not on the osmand vector maps. 

Thank you. Its a great addition to osmand. Im giving it a good test run this coming weekend. 

Cheers

More
27 Sep 2018 12:06 #74042 by firephish
Used the map with OSMAnd in Didima/Monks Cowl area this weekend, was great. Thanks for all the hard work in providing!

More
05 Dec 2018 20:28 #74329 by Rhinoandhedgehog
First of Andrew super effort and thank you for this download.

Upto Basecamp everything was on track and looked great.
However I could not get the maps installed on to my GPS via Basecamp.
After trying and retrying the instructions I returned to the old faithfull MapSource, and oldly enough it worked.
I have been able install my "driveing maps" and the "Drankensberg maps" at the same time.
I think it may have something to do with
1) My GPS - Garmin 60CSX is over 12 years old. (and it is still good for a few more years! - (but during this whole episode I confess to have looked at the 64s - to my shame)
2) My basecamp did notlook llike Andrews - the map loading sequence appears diffently the instructions - despite try to update basecamp.

Anyway moral of the story if at first you dont succeed - go back to basics and start again.

Thanks Andrew - hopefully spot you in the mountains!
That said I have never been so lost than since I got a GPS. At least I found my way back - my wife would have killed me otherwise.

More