Drakensberg GPS maps

08 Jan 2019 20:51 #74476 by Stu
Replied by Stu on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Thank you!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2019 20:14 #74499 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
On way around the "route via"option:
- the easiest way to create a route to somewhere is to say go to... then, chose a waypoint or point of interest and the GPS does the rest. This way, you cannot chose the route or modify it (unless you start walking the other way, and it will eventually change the route based on current location and final end point)
- you can also create a route directly on the GPS. This way, you can insert intermediate points. It is rather messy, but can be done. Garmin devices allow up to 20 points in total for your route, which is enough for just about anything.

More
08 Feb 2019 11:27 #74632 by bergbees
Replied by bergbees on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
@AndrewP, Thanks for the effort to do this!
I just loaded the .img file on my Fenix 5x and opened the map in BaseCamp on my MAC. Looks awesome!
I am heading into the berg in March and April and will be using the Fenix 5x as my primary GPS device. 

More
17 Feb 2019 18:53 #74662 by Drakie1
Replied by Drakie1 on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Hi Andrew. 
Up to now I have used Topo Southern Africa V3 Pro on Basecamp for all my planning of hikes. For the Drakensberg these maps lacks detail such as caves, passes, peaks, etc. I have downloaded this from Vertical Endeavour's "Downloads" which helped quite a lot. 

Today I downloaded your Drakensberg map....... WOW! All the info in one place, even trails! Absolutely brilliant! 

I have not tried it on my Montana 680 yet. Still busy fine tuning planned route for my DGT at the end of April on BaseCamp. The detail on your map makes this so much easier. In the past I had to refer back to the printed Topo maps quite often. Looking forward to finish my planning on your map and executing it in two months time, but for now my attention is focused on a 3 day hike in Wolkberge this coming weekend. 

Thank you for your hard work and making it available to all of us.

More
17 Mar 2019 13:43 #74810 by Drakie1
Replied by Drakie1 on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Hi Andrew.
I am experiencing problems installing/using your Drakensberg map on my Garmin Montana 680 GPS. Can we please discuss our problem via WA or any other way which is convenient for you?

More
02 Apr 2019 20:34 #74859 by keithb1911@gmail.com
Hi Andrew,

Well done this is game changer.............. thanks for your effort!

I have managed to get the map loaded in Basecamp on windows 10.

I cant seem to view the map on my GPS, despite the map loading correctly with Map install.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Keith

More
03 Jun 2019 23:23 #75047 by SakCyb
Replied by SakCyb on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Hi Andrew

Your map is simply put just great, used it over the weekend for the first time on my Garmin Oregon 650. I also made a Garmin transparent layer Drakensberg hiking map many years ago so I understand the effort that goes in something like this. Used it for many years to hike with in the berg but it was never as useful as this auto-routing version. Thanks so much for making it available.

Could I may be make one suggestion to add 5m contour line with the DEM hill shading similar to the Africa OSM Topo map set , this will make your map it really powerful hiking aid tool.

Kind Regards
Johan Cloete

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
06 Aug 2019 22:45 #75226 by djburns9892
Replied by djburns9892 on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Evening all

I have tried installing the files into OsmAnd and am struggling with where to move the *con* files. In the original install document created by Andrew, it mentions a /srtm folder which my device doesn't have. Anyone know where they should go?

More
07 Aug 2019 11:38 #75228 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Drakensberg GPS maps
Try dropping them in the root /net.osmand folder. I recall also having trouble with this, but I see I do have an /srtm folder, though it was created later than the originals, so perhaps I created it myself. It took a bit of fiddling, but I did get them to work.

More