Grand Traverse Record Race

19 Aug 2014 14:43 #61546 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Ja, it's been a personal gripe of mine for a long time. People with a trail running (or triathlon) background rather than a hiking background, tend to only head into "new" areas when there is an organized race or event there. Since the number of organized trail runs in the Berg has been quite limited (Mutter, Mnweni and Mont-aux-Sources I think), trail runners don't see the Berg as a place that can be explored on your own terms. And if they do, they will re-visit the routes covered by the trail races.

With a hiking/outdoor background, we can all be fortunate to have been exposed to the "do it yourself" mentality of exploring a wilderness area and it's quite easy to take that mountain-savvy (gradually learned over many years of experience) for granted.

A perfect example is how Twitter exploded into frenzy when Ryan Sandes went ice-climbing with Ryno at Giant's Castle a few weeks ago. Ryno has been doing this trip annually for 15 years but as soon as an icon like Ryan starts sharing photos via social media, it's suddenly the next greatest thing ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2014 07:11 #61548 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Stijn, you are going to give me sleepless nights over this one. Even now, I would still in many ways count as that bumbly who barely knows the berg. Only the other day, I was saying to Ghaznavid how please I was to have finally found the cave half way up Giants Pass, and he replied "which one, there are 4". Or, that after all these years, and after 4 previous ascents in dark, mist and rain, recently I finally saw the summit fo Mafadi for the first time.

Maybe though, the definining difference is that this weekend coming up, I will be heading out for a pleasant hike into unknown valleys and ridges to find Ifidi cave along with stove, tea and sleeping bag.

More
20 Aug 2014 08:03 #61549 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Andrew stopping for tea? That's a picture that almost needs framing.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
29 Aug 2014 11:24 - 29 Aug 2014 11:25 #61634 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Does anyone have the GPX file for the DGT record route? I only have a KML and it seems it not possible to load this on a garmin, atleast not the older models. Perhaps someone knows how to convert kml to gpx?

Thanks
Last edit: 29 Aug 2014 11:25 by Dylan.

More
29 Aug 2014 11:51 #61636 by intrepid
KML to GPX : kml2gpx.com/

If anyone does have a track for this, feel free to submit it to the Downloads section. I periodically am asked for this in private messages and it would be nice to have a route which has been actually done, rather than a stitched-together track from various trips.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

More
29 Aug 2014 12:34 #61638 by ghaznavid
Also www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

That can do quite a few different formats, including conversion into a text file.

More
31 Aug 2014 14:19 - 31 Aug 2014 18:41 #61650 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Unfortunately, neither of the two 'linked' options given above seemed to work to convert kml to GPX. I will attach the file I am trying to convert. I realised that it was a kmz so changed that to kml - no success. Then realised that the kmz consists of multiple waypoints and tracks and so just tried to convert a single kml track but that did not work either. I must be doing something incorrectly. I have attached both the kmz and the kml. If anyone feels enticed to try and convert this file feel free!

Please login or register to view the files attached to this post.

Last edit: 31 Aug 2014 18:41 by Dylan.

More
01 Sep 2014 18:23 - 01 Sep 2014 18:39 #61658 by eras
Replied by eras on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
I used Google Earth to save the file as a KML and then upoaded to kml2gpx.com/

When I opened it in Google earth it seemed like all the data was there.

I'm struggling to upload the GPX file to the forum (at 5.1mb can it be over the file size limit?). Is there another way I can get the file to you?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 01 Sep 2014 18:39 by eras.

More
01 Sep 2014 18:45 #61659 by Smurfatefrog

I used Google Earth to save the file as a KML and then upoaded to kml2gpx.com/

When I opened it in Google earth it seemed like all the data was there.

I'm struggling to upload the GPX file to the forum (at 5.1mb can it be over the file size limit?). Is there another way I can get the file to you?

Either try upload it in the Downloads section, or somewhere external like Dropbox
I also did what you did, mine is 4.8mb, but the track comes up as about 50 separate tracks

More
01 Sep 2014 19:20 #61660 by intrepid

Yes, the file size limit is currently at 2MB. If the community wants to share large files through VE the best way is to contact me and email it to me. I can upload it easily through the site's back-end and set it up as a download. Who is the author of these tracks? Can we publish it as a download with their permission?

More