Grand Traverse Record Race

28 Mar 2014 14:46 - 28 Mar 2014 14:47 #60078 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
In response to the pre-record discussions we were having about supported vs. unsupported attempts, I have posted Cobus van Zyl's recent response to a similar discussion that was happening on the AR mailing list:

Well I was involved with this project from the start and it was really (not just on camera) Ryan and Ryno's intend to do this absolutely according to the rules and ethics of the true DGT.
Therefore from my side I am happy to state that they really kicked my ass :-) , Not that its any surprise there - I mean they are both top athletes. I'm proud of the fact that I predicted their record in good weather should be below 45 hours and well I was not too far off.

With regards to the mental side, yes there were a whole team with Red Bull and Salomon following their every move on computer via trackers. And yes they were filmed on route in a couple of places which would have helped with breaking the monotomy. But believe me in the greater scheme of things that would not have made a visible difference. The extreme suffering, sore legs, dehydration, pushing the body pass its limits, fighting off the sleep monsters that all remains real.

I'm just excited that we can show case our Drakensberg to the international community in a way that was never seen before. I really believe that this will put our "Berg" on the map. I've been to the Alps a couple of times and can honestly say that apart from the lack of snow, our Drakensberg is any time just as spectacular and rugged as the Alps.

And from my side, I think this record is here to stay - I don't see anybody, International or local, making a dent in this record soon. A lot of people said this was a crazy attempt etc. But actually working together with Ryno and Ryan I have seen that this was absolutely not crazy. It was meticulously planned with military precision. They have talked about this for over 2 years. They have been on numerous recces, in good and extremely bad weather, they have planned the optimal route by hiking all the sections in daylight and getting the best lines. They have made sure that they have the Best and Lightest Salomon kit possible. Their nutrition was also the best calorie per gram you can imagine. They have trained specifically for this, they have acclimatised specifically for the event. The weather for the event was luckily perfect (maybe a bit hot on day one).

So let it be known, Cobus van Zyl is absolutely happy that this record was the real thing and that they have worked for every minute & kilometer of it.

I guess the only complaint our mear mortals might have is that we do not have the time or money to put in the same kind of planning and training. But hey, Ryno and Ryan didn't wake up one morning being proffessional, it came over years of hard work and dedication.

Last edit: 28 Mar 2014 14:47 by Stijn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous, Smurfatefrog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2014 08:16 - 06 May 2014 08:27 #60576 by Stijn
For those of you in Joburg - Ryno & Cobus are giving a talk on the recent record set by Ryno & Ryan at AR Club tonight. They will also be showing some great footage and photos.

7pm at Kinetic, cnr of Rivonia and North rds. Everyone welcome.
Last edit: 06 May 2014 08:27 by Stijn.

More
06 May 2014 08:19 #60577 by ghaznavid

7am at Kinetic, cnr of Rivonia and North rds. Everyone welcome.

7PM I take it?

Oddly enough I'm in Jo'burg tonight, might stop in B)

More
06 May 2014 08:26 #60578 by Stijn
7pm, yes. Will correct my previous post now.

More
26 May 2014 11:10 #60867 by ghaznavid
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, Smurfatefrog

More
05 Aug 2014 20:45 #61472 by Stijn
Some more screenings of the Berg Record film (Travailen) coming up. 11th August in Centurion and 12th August in Durban.

Free entry, but you need to RSVP to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Venue and time details being shared all over Twitter and Facebook by Ryan Sandes, etc.

Apparently the cinematography is spectacular (have a look at the trailer in the previous post) so well worth a watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HFc

More
12 Aug 2014 08:43 - 12 Aug 2014 09:08 #61498 by LouisvV
Replied by LouisvV on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
I must say that last night's screening of Travailen was AMAZING!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The cinematography of the film was really something special. This is probably THE best footage of the Drakensberg we will ever have. I hope this film becomes available soon to purchase.

Also, Stijn, (I didn't know it was you at first, then I told my wife "that must be the guy on the VE forum?"), some very insightful knowledge about the berg :thumbsup:

It really opened our eyes to the great scale of these mountains (+ my wife is a bit more nervous now about our upcoming trip ;) ) and the precautions one needs to take when entering these majestic mountains. Certainly a place to enter with respect.

I cannot wait to go hiking in the berg! :woohoo:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2014 09:08 by LouisvV. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More
12 Aug 2014 08:52 #61499 by Smurfatefrog
They have said it will be available to download later this month, I hope in HD
I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight though

More
12 Aug 2014 12:34 #61501 by Andrew5336
Awesome, going to the DBN screening tonight.

More
14 Aug 2014 10:27 #61513 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
I missed this movie.. does anyone know where I can get a copy or view it? :(

More