31 May 2015 13:18 #64044 by Smurfatefrog

ghaznavid wrote: Checkpoints so far:

Start 2:50
Top of Thamathu Pass: 4:30 (1h40)
Top of Isicutula Pass: 6:10 (3h20)
Top of Leqooa Ridge: 6:50 (4h00)
Sani Road: 11:05 (8h15)
Thabana: 12:10 (9h20)

I think you have TN wrong, he seems to be heading up the slopes of it now @ 13:10
Over 10km/h with about 700m altitude gain from Sani road is a bit fast even for Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2015 13:24 - 31 May 2015 13:39 #64045 by ghaznavid

Smurfatefrog wrote: I think you have TN wrong, he seems to be heading up the slopes of it now @ 13:10
Over 10km/h with about 700m altitude gain from Sani road is a bit fast even for Andrew

Quite correct - I seem to have muddled the Sehonghong Ridge with the Thabana Ridge.

2h20 from Sani Rd to Thabana is pretty darn impressive!

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams
Last edit: 31 May 2015 13:39 by ghaznavid.

More
31 May 2015 18:30 #64047 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Looks like he just got to Giants at 18:30

More
01 Jun 2015 07:06 - 01 Jun 2015 07:51 #64048 by ghaznavid
So halfway in 18h30, Champagne in 26h10.

It looks like Andrew's dog-free Popple route variation has cost some time, but the record is still alive. After Cleft the rest of the route is much flatter than what he has already done. He can make up some serious time in the final valley before Mont-Aux-Sources - if he has paced himself for a strong finish.

Ryan and Ryno did the start to Cleft in something insane like 8h30, Andrew will be tired and will do well to do this section in 10 hours. And the run from the U-Bend to Ndumeni Dome is a long one (be it on a good trail and gentle uphill).

The record is still very much alive, but Andrew must reach Cleft by 10 this morning at the latest to still be in reach of a 20:30 finish tonight. It will be tight - he can't slow down at the end. My prediction remains 41h22

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams
Last edit: 01 Jun 2015 07:51 by ghaznavid.

More
01 Jun 2015 11:07 #64051 by ghaznavid
Cleft Peak in 32h10

55km to go, 9h30 left to do them in. In September last year this final stretch took him 10 hours, but that was running downhill and with fresh legs. Andrew now needs to get over Mahout and Ntonjelana before he can try to reclaim some ground up the Kubedu River - I think he is still in it, but this will be very tight.

More
01 Jun 2015 11:29 #64052 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
He sure seems to be motoring still considering he's 32 hours in.
Time left for the 55km from Cleft depends on which target he's shooting for:
  • 9h39 to hit the overall record of 41h49 is going to require a phenominal finish.
  • 15h50 to hit his announced target of 48h00 is within reach.
  • 17h50 to hit his solo record of 60h00 will almost certainly be broken as long as he finishes.
Ghaz, are you meeting him at the end (wherever that may be)?

make a difference. today.

More
01 Jun 2015 11:43 #64054 by ghaznavid

andrew r wrote: 17h50 to hit his solo record of 60h00 will almost certainly be broken as long as he finishes.

I think you mean 27h50 - so he basically just needs to walk to the end and not take more than 12h worth of breaks to get that. Seeing as he has no sleeping gear with him - I somehow think that this point is merely a statistical possibility...

He said that it is as difficult to bail north of Ntonjelana as it is to finish (because the route gets quite far from the escarpment after the Ntonjelana Ridge) - so he just needs to bag Mont-Aux Sources and finish for this to almost definitely be the 2nd fastest DGT - but I think he is still shooting for the overall record.

Lets also not forget that there is no established S-N speed record - and most people don't do all 6 speed GT peaks on a normal GT, so somebody is the S-N GT speed record holder without knowing it. Probably in a time of 12 days 7 hours or something :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More
01 Jun 2015 15:03 - 01 Jun 2015 15:04 #64057 by ghaznavid
Andrew has now officially passed the last bailing route (Ntonjelana Pass). From here it will be easier for him to bail via the chain ladders, so he will produce a time (baring injury or not tagging Mont-Aux Sources).

36 hours in, he will probably hit the Senqu in around 20 minutes. This is followed by a small hill and a big hill before he hits the Cutback Highway.

In September last year this final stretch took 6h35 - but in the opposite direction with fresh legs. To get the record he will have to shave a full hour off that time. He is still in this, but it will take something really special to bring this one home.

Ps. he was a full hour behind when he hit Cleft Peak, so he hasn't lost any time on this section.

Last edit: 01 Jun 2015 15:04 by ghaznavid.

More
01 Jun 2015 16:56 #64059 by ghaznavid
He has hit the Cutback Highway trail, but has slowed right down.

He took 5h25 to get to where he currently is in September last year, so he is on track for a 43h15 - but he is slowing down quite a bit, and the night is coming. I rate he will finish around 44-45 hours.

Still an incredible effort - especially seeing as S-N has far more uphill than the standard variation (i.e. you start 900m lower). He also took the harder line through Giants Castle.

He just needs to bring it home from here - Mont-Aux-Sources and anything sub-60 will give him the 2nd spot on the fastest list as well as a new solo record. It will also be the S-N speed record.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AdventureLisa

More
01 Jun 2015 20:11 #64065 by ghaznavid
41h10 into the run he has reached the river behind Stimela. That gives him 37 minutes to run about 16km, so the current record will stand.

It took 2h30 to get here in September, so he is holding the pace to finish between 44 and 45 hours.

It is 4C right now, the end is relatively close and the Kubedu river is in sight (well, it would be if it was daytime).

More