Solutions for the Amphitheatre

23 Feb 2017 16:23 #70988 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Solutions for the Amphitheatre
I'm curious because I haven't been to Witsieshoek for a good while. I was charged a fee to use the road up to the Sentinal car park a few years back at the boom before the road splits to the resort.

Is this still the case? Is this right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2017 16:27 - 23 Feb 2017 16:28 #70989 by ghaznavid
You pay a toll at the gate, and a permit fee at Sentinel Car Park. Add EKZN fees and a day visit to the falls will cost you R150 per person.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2017 16:28 by ghaznavid.

More
23 Feb 2017 16:30 #70990 by Viking

Sabine wrote: If something happens in the mountains and you need to be rescued, no one is going to check whether you have paid your fees. We (MCSA SAR or Mountain Club of South Africa, Search and Rescue) will rescue you regardless. We only need to know if you belong to a medical aid or not.

Sure the rescue will still happen but those who haven't paid their entry fee may be liable for the costs of the rescue.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
24 Feb 2017 13:59 #71001 by Ranger

Sabine wrote: If something happens in the mountains and you need to be rescued, no one is going to check whether you have paid your fees. We (MCSA SAR or Mountain Club of South Africa, Search and Rescue) will rescue you regardless. We only need to know if you belong to a medical aid or not.

Hi Sabine

You are correct, except that you could be billed for the cost of the rescue aftewards if you are not in possession of a valid entry permit.

More
06 Dec 2018 06:26 #74331 by Serious tribe

homearanya wrote: Hi guys,

It sounds that, at this stage, Witsieshoek is not willing to be reasonable and are going to maintain their fees as per usual:

Access fees charged are currently (until 28 February 2017) as follows:
• At the toll gate: R40 per person - to gain access to Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge and the road to the Sentinel Peak.
• At the Sentinel Peak car park: R70 per person - to gain access via the chain ladder or gulley to the Amphitheatre.
• Overnight on the Mountain: R70 per person.
• Traverse fee: R160 per person

I feel incline to apply the reasoning as Deon's for those doing a traverse: that is a day fee to Witsieshoek and overnight fees to KZN Wildlife

Some clarity please on the costs.  Is the R70 to gain access to the summit for days visitors only?  Or does someone overnighting have to pay the R70 for access to the summit plus R70 for overnight?  
If so, is the R70 to get to the summit have to be paid everyday while you are up there in addition to overnight fee?

More
06 Dec 2018 09:07 #74332 by vivo101
@ Serious Tribe 

We only paid the access fee at the Witsieshoek gate (R50 pp) and then paid a single fee per night spent on the summit, however the price is R80 pp per night. Note that the Guard was wanting to charge us R180 for the single night we spent ontop, which was the traverse fee as stated by the board, and only after a lengthy debate he reluctantly brought it down to R80 pp. This however could have changed as I was last there mid July.

More