Solutions for the Amphitheatre

31 May 2016 06:26 #68601 by Richard Hunt
Guys, these attacks/robberies will not stop...they could even get worse, considering the state of our economy as this article from Kwanalu suggests....“Unfortunately, as the economy weakens and people struggle more and more, valuables and especially cash will become an even bigger temptation for criminals,”
she continued.
You can view this very interesting article at this link... http://www.kwanalu.co.za/kwanalu-analysis-of-farm-attacks-reveals-need-for-vigilance/
So what is being said I think applies to the whole of SA, whether in a city, on a farm or in the mountains!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2016 07:04 #68602 by AdrianT
Just to add two cents worth. Communication is in my mind, rather vital. It can help to alert those to any movements, "suspicious" activities and worst case even help to come to aid as quickly as possible. Reporting incidents afterwards whether it be hours or days later is not effective. Cell phones don't work well in the Berg. VHF radio however does. On my recent Berg trip I tried to obtain useful frequencies for safety reasons but was stonewalled, more or less understandably. I could have taken it anyway as it's a scanner and could find whatever frequencies I needed but I decided to play by the rules.

I hiked in the Grootwinterhoek wilderness area in the Western Cape last week and found that they had a VHF radio for emergencies. Obviously this will never work in the Berg because it will be A) stolen or B) vandalised and C) a fixed central communication point is useless, however if people were communicating via handheld VHF they'd be able to report on any situations immediately. There are ways around the legalities of having the need to have a VHF license, not that anyone really listens as all the farmers use them anyway. When I was paragliding we could transmit legally on 141.600 and 141.625 MHz, but only those two frequencies. Perhaps we need to get together and get a frequency dedicated to emergencies in the mountains. Very simple units can be "shop programmed" so that they only transmit on a single frequency, making them "more legal", if you must. Just a thought. :)

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Papa Dragon

More
31 May 2016 08:49 #68603 by Viking
I think we need to understand that there is just as much chance that Shepherds driven by criminal and selfish intents alone, committed this crime.
They are just as human as the rest of us and therefore just as prone to criminal and unethical behaviour as Priests, Politicians, Policemen or anyone else.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT

More
31 May 2016 08:51 #68604 by Ranger

Philip wrote: For those of you who have been following my posts on this thread, I would like you to know that I am now in possession of rock hard information concerning the circumstances surrounding this attack, but because of its sensitivity, until this information enters the public domain by some other channel, my lips will remain sealed.

This information is crucial to help understand what happened. I hope and trust that in the interests of fairness, that this information will eventually come out.

Based on what I now know, regrettably, I consider that the first scenario I suggested: “The attackers were local Basotho shepherds – a contributing factor being previous unfriendly interactions with SA hikers” is the most likely one.

@Phillip

This is why conjecture and guessing is a bad thing on such forums. You were quick to dismiss the idea that it could be Basuthos, which we know was the case in this situation. Im not sure where you got your "rock hard information" from, but unless its from the actual persons I would ask please that you get correct details from those involved in the attack and stop all this guessing. As far as Im concerned, the full details of the attack were posted (by those attacked) and you can always contact them for further information. We have however moved on to the much more important matter of addressing the matter for the good of all who love and cherish their Berg adventures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: homearanya, Captain, Philip, AdrianT

More
31 May 2016 09:03 #68605 by Ranger
@ Phillip

The matter being discussed is indeed sub-judice and to claim that you have rock hard information from sources is risky and potentially harmful to those involved. There is a lot of good information sharing and ideas that have come from this, so lets please focus on these and move forward with solutions for the matter. I would urge all to consider the hardship and emotional toll that surround this incident, and to be sensitive to those involved. And for goodness sake lets move on and work together on making this area the premier hiking spot it once was!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain, Philip, saros, Coeta, RudiVE

More
31 May 2016 18:30 #68609 by Philip
In the interests of the 'fairness' I mentioned earlier, and out of respect to all, I need to convey that I have established that the 'information' was based on a misunderstanding.

Indeed we need to move forward in a positive way on this issue.

My sincere apologies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: homearanya, mafu

More
31 May 2016 21:30 #68612 by kbresler
Did the stakeholders meeting go ahead today? Sad I couldn't make it. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kobus Bresler

More
01 Jun 2016 08:25 #68616 by homearanya
indeed the meeting happened yesterday. Unfortunately some key players were missing like SANDF and Basotho police. Causes and solutions were discussed, and finally a committee was formed which will carry on working on the matter. They had their first meeting yesterday. I'm sure an official communication will be realised soon, if not today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, JonWells, kbresler, AdrianT, Redshift3

More
01 Jun 2016 13:44 #68618 by kbresler

homearanya wrote: indeed the meeting happened yesterday. Unfortunately some key players were missing like SANDF and Basotho police. Causes and solutions were discussed, and finally a committee was formed which will carry on working on the matter. They had their first meeting yesterday. I'm sure an official communication will be realised soon, if not today.

Thanks Carlos

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kobus Bresler

More
01 Jun 2016 14:00 #68619 by Viking

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, AdrianT, myriam, RudiVE

More