Solutions for the Amphitheatre

08 May 2016 08:39 #68309 by MarkT
1. Soak the entire Drakensberg in strong cellular + data signal.

2. Hikers carry smartphones

3. Use one of the many free Tracking applications with "panic button" functionality. This would have your location and connect to peers around you, as well as alert the emergency services / police.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oneye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2016 12:30 #68310 by tiska

MarkT wrote: 1. Soak the entire Drakensberg in strong cellular + data signal.

2. Hikers carry smartphones

3. Use one of the many free Tracking applications with "panic button" functionality. This would have your location and connect to peers around you, as well as alert the emergency services / police.

MarkT - I'm interested in how this would work. Suppose there were 4G coverage for every bit of the escarpment. Every hiker carries a phone which connects with the network. You're in your tent, its dark, and rocks start raining down. You send a SMS/live vid feed/email/phone call to the police and everyone you know explaining where you are and what is going on.
What happens next?

More
08 May 2016 17:33 #68327 by Ranger

DeonS wrote: I would join the Honoury Officers tomorrow but the last time I tried they said I need to join the area I live in and in my case it is Wagondrift Dam – being a Mountain Guide myself I would want to be in the mountains – so I just left it at that.

@Deon: we have honorary officers from all over country as far as Gauteng and Cape Town so you would be welcome in our group.

More
08 May 2016 17:40 #68329 by Ranger
TO ALL STAKEHOLDERS IN THE AMPHITHEATRE :
The stakeholder meeting to discuss the plan going forward is scheduled for the 31st of May 2016 at the Royal Natal Education Centre at 10h00. We would welcome all shareholders who wish to contribute to the positive future of the Amphitheatre as a premier hiking destination and gateway to the Berg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christeen Grant

More
08 May 2016 19:32 #68341 by Papa Dragon
@ the guys who are willing/ able to contribute something financially, well done, and grateful thanks.. unfortunately I am not in a position to make a meaningful contribution at the moment..

@ Ranger, what does Honorary Officer entail? Can one join at any reserve? Is there a minimum hours per month or similar commitment?

Is the 31 May a public holiday?

More
08 May 2016 20:14 #68344 by Ranger

Papa Dragon wrote: @ the guys who are willing/ able to contribute something financially, well done, and grateful thanks.. unfortunately I am not in a position to make a meaningful contribution at the moment..

@ Ranger, what does Honorary Officer entail? Can one join at any reserve? Is there a minimum hours per month or similar commitment?

Is the 31 May a public holiday?

@ Papa Dragon:
Joining as an Honorary Officer entails attending an induction course and approval from the Officer in Charge of the reserve you wish to join. Not all reserves have HO Groups. There is a requirement of three work weekends per year for most groups. A small annual fee is applicable and you need to purchase your own uniform, but there are a lot of benefits. Please PM me for further details if you are keen.
The 31st is not a public holiday in SA to my knowledge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, Papa Dragon

More
08 May 2016 20:31 #68345 by Ranger
NOTICE REGARDING THE PROPOSED CLOSURE OF THE AMPHITHEATRE:

Please note that we have delayed the final decision on the proposed closure of the Amphitheatre until after the 31st of May stakeholder meeting. We hope by all means to prevent this drastic action from being taken, bearing in mind that the safety of hikers is foremost in our minds and that stakeholder engagement will ultimately guide decisions on the future of this area. This is an opportunity for us all to make a difference and we welcome your input. Thus, the date proposed initally for closure of the 20th of May is withdrawn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp, Papa Dragon

More
08 May 2016 21:10 #68348 by Papa Dragon
@Ranger,thanks.. Pine hike early June in Hospitalspruit area, and OIC Monks will be there, I'll chat with him then..

More
09 May 2016 09:07 #68352 by Viking

tiska wrote:
So here is the suggestion - how about some crowd sourcing, starting with VE, to hire someone private to liaise with the chiefs, show them the newspaper article on the attack, note that the incident is serious and that 'steps' are being taken. The person concerned could keep an eye out for those in the community wearing blankets and those in the community wearing anomalous looking, new hiking gear.
I'm in with the first 3K ZAR.

How do others feel?

Good idea tiska.
I am happy to volunteer my time, even if that means driving in to Lesotho to meet chiefs or the LMP.
Perhaps some sort of monetary reward offered for the finding and handing over of the guilty individuals would be good motivation.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: tiska, Captain

More
09 May 2016 10:16 #68353 by Stijn
I'd also be happy to make a monetary contribution to an effective way to being these guys to justice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tiska, Ranger

More