Solutions for the Amphitheatre

11 May 2016 20:25 #68407 by Philip
People are people! :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2016 10:37 #68412 by Herman
@Philip, I really like your suggestion.

What is your opinion of a bounty system? A generous amount for info leading to the arrest and conviction of the perpetrators, when something like this does happen.

More
13 May 2016 06:01 #68428 by Philip
@Herman

Thank you for your positive response.

Personally, I think that idea would be up to the Lesotho and / or South African police or army to consider.

More
16 May 2016 17:59 #68474 by Grandeur

Ranger wrote: NOTICE REGARDING THE PROPOSED CLOSURE OF THE AMPHITHEATRE:

Please note that we have delayed the final decision on the proposed closure of the Amphitheatre until after the 31st of May stakeholder meeting. We hope by all means to prevent this drastic action from being taken, bearing in mind that the safety of hikers is foremost in our minds and that stakeholder engagement will ultimately guide decisions on the future of this area. This is an opportunity for us all to make a difference and we welcome your input. Thus, the date proposed initally for closure of the 20th of May is withdrawn.

Can someone please confirm that the closure is still set for the end of the month and that the Amphitheater will be open until then?

More
16 May 2016 19:23 #68476 by Biomech
Hi Grandeur.

Ranger speaks on this forum on behalf of EKZNW, so you can take his word for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grandeur

More
16 May 2016 22:58 #68477 by Grandeur

Biomech wrote: Hi Grandeur.

Ranger speaks on this forum on behalf of EKZNW, so you can take his word for it.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure the dates hadn't been shifted again

More
16 May 2016 23:31 #68479 by Oneye
I'm all for cell phone coverage of the Berg. However, when I called the Bergville Police from the Escarpment, I could not have a received a worse response. There was no one to speak to, they were untrained, there was no policy, they refused to help, and they ran me out of juice.

Seems the police should not be called. Search and Rescue?

More
17 May 2016 02:59 #68480 by Oneye
I am no expert, just random thoughts.

My WILD Card does not work in KZN. KZN has set itself apart, and I don't know why. There are different levels of Wildcard - Cape only, etc. Why not have a KZN option? It's money.

The Cape Nature Conservancy (I may have the name wrong) seems to have done very well. Maybe KZN wildlife has something to learn?

Seems to me KZN Wildlife could use money from hiking for Conservation. Therefore increasing hiking is good. The natural clientele is Europe (Americans are followers, they'll come in later when all is perfected) and Europeans have the GR system, Grande Randonnee. I propose the RA - Rondonnee Afrique, based on GR. It means superbly maintained trails, superb maps, and matching signs on the maps and on the ground. It means other things too, like supplied huts and cave reservations all automated online. These all create jobs and there should be economic incentives for the locals to protect the visitors and wildlife the visitors come to see. But KZN is one side of the Drakensberg-Maluti.

The Basothos must also have an economic stake in it and that's much harder, and it has to come from KZN Wildlife. Perhaps huts in Lesotho for visitors - supplied with beds and tea and wood etc. A sheep can be had for $25 (R350) and the shepherd can be paid for his cooking it. Trust me, nothing will go to waste.

Yes, this is not your father's Drakensberg but it isn't already. I'm really concerned about the livestock density in the Lesotho Maluti. The wildlife there has had it and I wish it back.

I wish the Basothos would respect the Castles (SA Watershed) (Injasuti Cave is ruined) but that will never happen unless they have a reason to.

More
17 May 2016 07:07 #68481 by ghaznavid

Oneye wrote: I'm really concerned about the livestock density in the Lesotho Maluti. The wildlife there has had it and I wish it back.

Overgrazing is definitely a problem in some areas - especially around the Tugela. I can't see how this can be recovered from without a lot of time without any grazing.

I have noticed a definite increase in wildlife up there recently, though. Perhaps the ever increasing herds have removed the need for hunting for some regions.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
17 May 2016 15:12 #68486 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Solutions for the Amphitheatre

Oneye wrote: My WILD Card does not work in KZN.

I used my Wild Card at Albert Falls last week no problem...?

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More