Outer shell jackets

23 Sep 2013 08:28 #58555 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Outer shell jackets
It's the same... MVT is Moisture Vapour Transmission

I don't recommend anything below 12000 and personally go for jackets above 20000 because sweating too much leads to hypothermia and dehydration so I save up and get the best I can.

Mountain Mail order has some good deals on on Mountain Hardwear Jackets like the Plasmic with Event for R 1400.

Hope this helps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 10:44 #58556 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Outer shell jackets

More
19 Oct 2013 12:51 #58828 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Outer shell jackets
Hi guys.

My current jacket is a First Ascent Dry-Lite which I've had for about 5 years and is due to be replaced (inner waterproof layer is now delaminating). But even when the jacket was pretty much new, I have never been impressed with its ability to keep the rain out and keep me dry. I've had similar experiences with the other K-way and Capestorm jackets I've had so I'm losing faith in own-brand waterproof layers and am quite keen to shell out some cash for a high-quality jacket that does what it claims.

I was in Drifters this morning and had a look at a Mountain Equipment 3-layer Gore-tex jacket, but at R6k these things are not cheap!!! Are there any other good Gore-tex jackets out there for better prices? Available from local distributors or would I have to order online?

Or is somebody willing to convince me that a non-Goretex jacket will do the trick if I get the right one? I'm also quite fussy about the weight, so if I can get something in the 400-500g range that would be great!

More
20 Oct 2013 06:53 #58830 by ASL
I did some research for a friend e few months ago and from what I have seen the best value jacket available currently is the Mountain Hardwear Plasmic. It's made from eVent and weighs 287 grams. Riaan got his from Mountainmailorder for R 1440.

He tested it at Injisuthi that day we bumped into you and it was excellent. I have also read in a US gear review that it's one of the best value jackets in their market.

Since the Rand crashed they have put up the price but you get a benchmark fabric and a world class mountaineering company for a local price. There is no other jacket I would consider at the moment unless I was buying overseas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More
20 Oct 2013 10:23 #58834 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Outer shell jackets
Wow, that sounds like a great option (and much friendlier on the wallet)! Thanks ASL :thumbsup:

More
20 Oct 2013 14:28 - 20 Oct 2013 14:29 #58835 by ruthtbl
Replied by ruthtbl on topic Outer shell jackets

I did some research for a friend a few months ago and from what I have seen the best value jacket available currently is the Mountain Hardwear Plasmic. It's made from eVent and weighs 287 grams. Riaan got his from Mountainmailorder for R 1440.

I bought the women's version of this jacket from Mountain Mail Order and although I have only tried it out around Pta when it is raining, so far it has been fantastic. Just remember that this jacket does not have pit zips, as it is apparently more breathable than its predecessor, the epic jacket
Last edit: 20 Oct 2013 14:29 by ruthtbl.

More
20 Oct 2013 15:23 #58836 by ASL
Ok, time for specifics - tests show that eVent is more breathable than all versions of gore-tex except maybe the new Active Shell and testers using it for active mountain sports didn't miss the pit zips, even going uphill under load which is better than anything I've worn. This latest version of event is also better because it doesn't require your body heat to activate it and is breathable from the get go.

Bottom line is that you are used to an MTVR of 10 0000 with the local products and would replace it with something 3 times better. It's no contest...

hope this helps? :cheer:

More
20 Oct 2013 15:26 #58837 by ASL
er 10 000 mvtr for the local stuff... PS. I checked on their website and it's R1580

More
20 Oct 2013 19:48 #58839 by Josh of the Bushveld
Pity I bought a K-Way Mercury earlier in the year, I think this would have been a better buy

More
25 Oct 2013 13:33 #58880 by ASL
Just for you Stijn... a copy of the review from Backpacker.com :woohoo:

Verdict
I’ve rarely worn a bargain rain shell that didn’t make me wish I’d spent more for better breathability. But the Plasmic performs as well as jackets that cost twice as much: Fully zipped during sustained, 2-mile climbs in Colorado’s Park Range (40°F and drizzling), it kept clamminess in check and left my tee only faintly damp (though moisture did collect inside the shell fabric). Credit Dry.Q EVAP, which uses microscopic channels on the jacket’s lining to disperse moisture and speed its evaporation. That technology also makes the fabric feel soft rather than sticky when it’s worn with short sleeves (many shells cling to skin like Saran Wrap). The hood is fully adjustable (with cinch cords behind the head and at the chin), hand pockets sit above a pack hipbelt, microfleece softens the collar, and the Plasmic packs to grapefruit-size. $140; 10 oz. (w's M); m’s S-XXL, w’s XS-XL; mountainhardwear.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More