Outer shell jackets

20 May 2016 09:02 #68514 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Outer shell jackets
I wore a North Face outer shell for many years, was extremely happy. Then for some reason I cannot fathom I decided to buy a replacement and in my haste I took a Kway Kilimanjaro. This last week I came to really loathe it after having owned it for over a year now and used it a fair bit. Firstly, I like a jacket where the hood packs away into a collar. This keeps you warmer when you're not using the hood, and if you're hiking in windy conditions it doesn't flap around behind your head. Unfortunately the Kilimanjaro does not have that feature. The underarm zippers are very long, which is great - but they're difficult to open and close without the aid of a friend for some reason. The chest pocket is too small for a map and there is only one of them. I suspect the designers have never hiked with a bag, nor a map. On the inside they decided an iPod pocket would be more fit for purpose - fail. When wearing the hood, your head moves left and right within it which is beyond irritating. At the time in the shop I thought ok it's not that bad, but I was wrong and again my North Face was better. Breathability definitely feels less than my old North Face. I would rate it 2/5 stars. 3 at a push to be fair I guess. Not everyone would be as concerned with the pockets as me. But the annoying hood should alert anyone to this jacket already :)

Whilst Kway make some great products, and I do like to support local, I feel that they aren't really the choice for technical gear. Build quality seems good, and I'm sure I'll get a great deal of use out of it but I am not satisfied. When I buy again it'll be back to something else. Mountain Hardware is indeed a super brand and I had a tent from them for ages. However their customer service is so bad that Mountain Mail Order would not even attempt to contact them for replacement tent poles when mine started splitting because they said nothing would result and probably why they currently only offer one of their models. So when the tent went bust I sadly left Mountain Hardware alone. But that's getting off topic.

My mate was hiking in a Gore-tex Mountain Hardware jacket with two monster pockets from the chest to above the hip belt - what a pleasure. I'm not certain of the model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2016 10:21 - 20 May 2016 10:22 #68515 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Outer shell jackets

ghaznavid wrote: Which of their raincoats is that one? I can't see from the photo.

Lots of their raincoat hoods fold into the collar (a rather gimmicky feature as it makes the collar massive), but this looks like it might be something to do with a "jacket folds up into its own pocket" kind of feature (something I have never figured out the point of, or how to do).

It's the London rain jacket.
The flap definitely has no openings, and it's too small to be a "fold into it's own pocket",
and too big to be just a flap for the label.... (100 x 120mm)
Last edit: 20 May 2016 10:22 by Papa Dragon.

More
10 Oct 2017 19:28 #72251 by Papa Dragon
On checking out MMO, I see that they only stock TNF rain shells, 8 models.

Anyone have any feedback on any of these?

Thanks

More
28 Mar 2018 12:36 #73085 by Papa Dragon
How's this for 2 very different reviews?

www.trailspace.com/gear/helly-hansen/loke-jacket/

thetrek.co/review-helly-hansen-loke-rain-jacket-pants-mens-womens/

Anyone have personal experience with these jackets? Expensive if they don't work..

More
28 Mar 2018 17:54 #73087 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Outer shell jackets
the review is clear about iffy breathability... I don't recommend low breathability for local or Berg conditions

all fabrics have breathability rating that you can Google

benchmark ratings for "cheap" but decent quality jackets start at 20 000mms breathability and equivalent levels of water resistance. Anything less does not function well at all and puts you in the running for a nice bit of hypothermia in high mountains

You should be able to find something between R 1500 to R 2000 (CUM jackets typically perform at half this breathability rating which on some chart is recommended for walking the dog in mild conditions)

More
29 Mar 2018 08:48 #73090 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Outer shell jackets

ASL wrote:
You should be able to find something between R 1500 to R 2000 (CUM jackets typically perform at half this breathability rating which on some chart is recommended for walking the dog in mild conditions)

I think quite a bit more than that for those ratings. My opinion is that no local manufacturers make the grade for "proper" shell jackets.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
29 Mar 2018 16:47 #73093 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Outer shell jackets
Good point.. I was implying that with my reference the local CUM products. In the USA you can easily pick up a jacket with decent performance for 100$ or even less, hence my price point.

Mountainmailorder.com used to stock Mountain Hardwear Event jackets at R 1500 but no longer I'm afraid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viking

More
16 Sep 2019 21:22 - 16 Sep 2019 21:50 #75327 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Outer shell jackets
Hi All

I need to replace my 2010 Columbia Titanium jacket as not only is the seam sealing coming off, the waterproof is delaminating like a meteor shower when I use it...or dandruff shower, whichever takes your pic.

It has a MVT of 10 000mm which ASL says is too little and from experience, that seems to be the case.  I have however coped with the build up of heat by opening the front of the jacket and the pit zips and taking breaks to cool down.  When you are climbing a pass, especially when you live at sea level, you need the breaks anyway '-)

So there don't seem to be many local or imported options around, and I am not sure i want to pay more than R2500 if possible.  With R/$ exchange, duties and postage, most imported items are getting out of control!!!

The options that i have seen thus far are:

Kway Kilimanjaro 19 - R2200 with pit zips MVT???
FA Submerge - R1799 no pit zips  8000mm MVT Hopefully the submerge is not related to being submerged in sweat!
FA Hurricane - R2000 with pit zips 10 000MVT 

Also, a lot of the time i use the jacket more of a wind breaker while doing my photography than hiking through lots of rain.  The few times I have hiked in continuous rain, even in winter, i seem to get more wet from sweat that from rain ingress.  This was not with the Columbia jacket, I think it was with a 1996 or 98 HelliHanson.  I also tend to run rather hot.  So complicated!

Any thoughts on these for berg all year hiking and durability if you have used them for a while.  Also any other ideas of imported that will come in at a similar price.

Thanks.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2019 21:50 by Serious tribe.

More
17 Sep 2019 17:11 #75330 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Outer shell jackets
@Serious tribe

Have a look at the Black Diamond products offered by Drifters:

* BD Stormline Stretch (10000mm Waterhead ;10,000g/m2/24hr) (R2 499.00) 

It has pit zips which works great for dumping heat. Also very durable and offers a stretchy fabric. One of my regular hiking partners owns one and is very happy with it. I own the storm-line stretch pants and can vouch for the durability.

* BD Fineline Stretch (10000mm Waterhead ;10,000g/m2/24hr) (R2 199.00) 

Lighter and less durable version of the Stormline 

Also have a look at the Patagonia products stocked by Goneoutdoor:

* Specifically the Houdini and Torrentshell. Don't have any first hand experience on their products though. Their 3Layer goretex jackets are a bit expensive though.

There is quite a substantial import duty on clothing, hence I would not import.

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

More
18 Sep 2019 11:51 #75331 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Outer shell jackets
@Serious tribe

Yes, things are definitely becoming expensive. You basically have 3 options:
Buy local,
Buy from an importer or import yourself
Get somebody to bring it from overseas.

Buy local: Not the greatest quality, pricey for what you get and low breathability
Import: You can get the very best, but this is also by far the most expensive option
Have a friend/family member/colleague buy it for you overseas and bring it back home. For roughly the same price as the local gear, you would be able to get really good gear, tested in bad weather (i.e. cold, wet etc.) . You will find that the gear you buy this way will typically have higher breathability values. This option will give you the best value for money. If you can buy an item on sale, you can find real bargains for even cheaper than the local gear.

More