Outer shell jackets

19 Sep 2019 13:19 - 19 Sep 2019 17:12 #75335 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Outer shell jackets
Thanks guys
I will check out the drifters gear.  On a positive note though, the Kway Killi is 15 000 mvt[font=Segoe UI, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].  Which is the best i have seen locally, and is better than my current 'disintegrating' jacket.[/font]
Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 17:12 by Serious tribe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2019 17:25 #75344 by advocate_gerrie_nel
Just something to add here - Bold Gear (SA company) makes a rain jacket with a 20K rating for both waterproof and breathability. Likely more of a running jacket, but worth a check out.  I have met a guy that does adventure racing etc and he claims the jacket works. I am not convinced but it is made from eVent (with a good international reputation?) and is locally manufactured. 

More
24 Sep 2019 16:37 #75346 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Outer shell jackets
I have a Mountain Hardware shell with an e-vent lining, and it works brilliantly. I tend to run hot so I sweat a lot, and this is the best water barrier I've used so far. It still gets clammy on the inside in high humidity conditions, but I've never been wet under the jacket, just a bit clammy in the worst conditions. My only concern is durability, the fabric has torn around my neck area after about 6 years, which I suppose is from stretching it more than anything else. Nothing that a bit of duct tape can't fix :-) 

More
21 Sep 2020 10:28 #76100 by Beard
Replied by Beard on topic Re: Outer shell jackets.
HI there, sorry coming late into this. My question it this, i need an outer shell jacket, i see Kili Kway is about R2500 and seems pretty robust, BUT, is it warm? And if not, what do you wear for warmth under this? IM trying to stay lean on the clothing but if this jacket is for WIND,rain, ect - then what clothing is worn under it for warmth?

More
21 Sep 2020 11:54 #76103 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Outer shell jackets
The outer shells tend to get a bit chilly on bare skin, their purpose is however to keep you dry and keep the wind off you, and not necasarily keep you "warm". I normally layer a fleece underneath the shell to keep it off your bare skin and provide some insulation.

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beard

More
21 Sep 2020 16:19 #76106 by Serious tribe
You should have a fleece or soft-shell jacket underneath for colder temps, or even a long sleeve polly hiking shirt would help to reduce the feel of the hard shell jackets on bare skin and provide some insulation for moderate temps. I got the KWay Staden soft shell jacket in around May, but have only used it once hiking. Though if you can afford it, the Killi soft shell version for about R2500 seems more soft, flexible and packable..

More
22 Sep 2020 11:36 #76113 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Outer shell jackets
Here's my setup - Adapt it to suit your own preferences:

For most conditions, I wear a wicking nylon/polyprop type of short sleeve T-shirt (winter & summer the same)
I then cover my arms with arm protectors (white in summer, black in winter).
This suits me well during daytime hiking, but if the wind starts blowing or during the night, I usually put a 100 fleece over this first base layer. If the wind or cold cuts through this, I'll put the outershell on.

Very rarely will I have to wear my down jacket while hiking - I can only remember two times in snow on the escarpment with a lot of wind that I had to wear the down jacket underneath the outer shell. Different story when I stop or start to cool down, then the down jacket is definitely used.

Also consider this fact when you buy your outer shell. Whatever warm jacket you have will need to fit underneath the outer shell.

More
22 Sep 2020 18:21 #76117 by kbresler
Replied by kbresler on topic Outer shell jackets

advocate_gerrie_nel wrote: Just something to add here - Bold Gear (SA company) makes a rain jacket with a 20K rating for both waterproof and breathability. Likely more of a running jacket, but worth a check out.  I have met a guy that does adventure racing etc and he claims the jacket works. I am not convinced but it is made from eVent (with a good international reputation?) and is locally manufactured. 

I am not aware of any factories in SA that have a license to produce products using eVent. Happy to be proven wring though, but I know of a few that claim to have this license when in act it is a lie. Just double-check before purchase.

Kobus Bresler

More
16 Oct 2020 12:26 #76205 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Outer shell jackets

Serious tribe wrote: I got the KWay Staden soft shell jacket in around May, but have only used it once hiking. Though if you can afford it, the Killi soft shell version for about R2500 seems more soft, flexible and packable..

I'm curious, how do you find it for/as...
Wind resistence?
Remaining acceptably dry (it's wicking capabilities) whilst on the move?
Shedding drizzle?

Thoughts in general.

thanks.

More
Yesterday 16:04 #76252 by Serious tribe
@Carl

Very wind resistant.
Haven't used it while hiking or in drizzle. Not sure you would want to get it wet for any extended period of time though, it takes time to dry after washing it. I would rather use a water proof shell if it started drizzling for extended period of time.

More