Outer shell jackets

28 Oct 2013 05:21 #58898 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Outer shell jackets
Got the Plasmic jacket over the weekend - will give some feedback once I've tested it in some wet conditions :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2014 10:10 #59659 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Outer shell jackets
I already have a slight problem with my Mercury shell jacket after only using it on a handful of hikes. The silky type fabric that encloses the hood's drawstring has started tearing away from the hood, along the stitching line.

Cape Union Mart have agreed to repair it for me, but I'm a little peeved that they have told me it would take 6-8 weeks :thumbsdown:

I'm hoping this is more of a worst case scenario rather than the norm!

More
19 Mar 2014 09:46 #59915 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Outer shell jackets
So Cape Union Mart have had my Mercury shell jacket since 9 Feb. Last week I told them I needed the jacket back before this coming weekend as I will be hiking. I actually told them to just return it as is if it could not be repaired in time.

On Monday I received a phone call telling me that they would not be able to return the unrepaired jacket by the end of this week- :thumbsdown:

They did however courier a brand new jacket up from Cape Town for me, which I collected yesterday. :thumbsup:

So kudos to them for eventually making a plan and keeping the customer happy.

More
09 Jun 2014 15:52 #61043 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Outer shell jackets
So Hi-Tec sent me a HI-TEC Kanya 3l soft shell jacket to test out in the mountains. Unfortunately the jacket isn't on their website, so I can't post a link - but me review of it is as follows:

In general I am not a big fan of a soft shell as an item of hiking gear. A warm fleece and a rain coat perform the same task for about the same weight, but don't have to be used simultaneously and are both more efficient at their respective jobs. In light of this - I chose to try the jacket out on a winter hike. My thought being that I could take it instead of a raincoat, take my waterproof beanie and a fleece just in case things go badly. The hike being the opening of Bond Pass - and with a weather forecast of around 0 at midday, but no clouds or rain expected, I thought this was a good chance to give this thing a proper run.

Before taking it into the mountains I had already tried it on cold evenings and it was pretty warm.

Arriving at Giant's Castle at 6:30AM, the thermometer on the car had something like -3 as an outside temperature. At the time I was wearing a thermal vest, a Merino Sheep wool shirt and my Hi-Tec Kanya 3l soft shell jacket, as well as a buff, beanie, thermal long johns, hiking pants and Merino Sheep socks. Aside from my face being icy, I was completely fine.

Once we had started walking the layers all came off quickly as usual. There was a gentle but gusty wind blowing on the escarpment (probably about 10 km/h), so upon reaching the escarpment the jacket came out of my pack again, and I kept it on for the rest of the day, reaching the car park at about 8PM.

So, in summary:
The jacket is quite heavy, but is relatively warm. It hasn't convinced me to incorporate soft shells as a standard item of hiking gear, but it has most certainly come in handy as an item to carry in my hand-luggage when traveling. It is also handy to have on hand on a cold day.

More
09 Jun 2014 17:16 #61044 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Outer shell jackets
I think you are right about traditional softshell jackets. Too heavy and really in between functionally.They need to be waterproof too replace a hardshell and lighter to justify their place in my pack.

The new breed of shells made from Polartec Neoshell are both but you can't get them locally. Rab (UK brand) offers the holy grail - waterproof, highly breathable and very strechy (and soft). All you could want in a jacket?

More
12 Jun 2014 15:59 #61081 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Outer shell jackets
Like the look of the MH Plasmic (R1670 Mountain Mail Order 289g) and K-Way Mercury (R1200 Cape Union Mart 285g); anyone have infield test comments?

Also CapeStorm Anura for a cheaper but heavier option (R1000 CapeStorm online & MMO 446g)

make a difference. today.

More
12 Jun 2014 16:54 #61083 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Outer shell jackets
Very happy with the MH Plasmic. Super-light and packable and I've been very impressed with the breathability so far. Haven't had a proper downpour to test its waterproofness yet..
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More
16 Dec 2014 11:14 #62490 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Outer shell jackets
I am considering getting the MH Plasmic jacket and am wondering if anyone other than Stijn has had any experience with this jacket? If not the Plasmic, what about the North Face Venture? Besides Mountain Mail Order and Drifters, are there any other stores in SA that supply imported brands in the Outer Shell category?

Ciao

More
19 Dec 2014 09:41 #62501 by Blaker
Replied by Blaker on topic Outer shell jackets
Hi Dylan

My company distributes The North Face locally. Send me an email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll send a stockist and where you can buy from?

Cheers
Blake

More
19 Dec 2014 10:05 #62502 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Outer shell jackets
Hi Blake

Thanks for your response. I have however already purchased the MH jacket. Will definitely keep your details on record for the future.

Cheers
Dylan

More