GPS units

07 Jan 2010 13:49 #864 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic GPS units
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to start searching the net etc to see what I can find.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2010 12:29 #1518 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic GPS units
What are the factors to consider when purchasing a GPS device for hiking?
Any suggestions on good and affordable models?

More
28 Jul 2010 18:09 #1523 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic GPS units
Plouw,

I have a garmin 60csx, it really is a bullet proof model unfortunately it does not come cheap, but it will be the last GPS you bye.

The things to look when buying a GPS for hiking.
-amount of way points that can be stored
-amount of proximity points that can be stored
-if it has a barometer
-the battery life
-how much active route can be stored
-how many routes can be loaded
-how robust the unit is
-how much internal memory or a removable SD card

Hope that helps a bit.

More
29 Jul 2010 10:32 #1524 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic GPS units
I use my cellphone's (Nokia N79) built-in GPS and it works fine in the Drakensberg (it also joined my backpack on its spiritual journey down Leslie's Pass which you witnessed, so I guess it's pretty durable as well! ;) ).

It has very nice software for tracking routes. Storing waypoints is a bit of a hassle but I don't mind. And it's only limited by the capacity of the SD card you choose to use.

But a dedicated GPS device is probably better.

More
30 Jul 2010 11:21 #1525 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic GPS units
I think the basic purpose of a GPS is to navigate towards waypoints that you've either collected yourself, or which has been uploaded from a computer. The same goes for tracks. You can get very affordable models that do this just fine. All the fancier stuff is in addition. For more meaningful navigation add a topographic base map (one which you can load onto your computer too - this allows you to plan your route beforehand too, even if you don't have any real GPS data).

The newer models have some funky stuff, nice touch screens, 3D map capability (Berg maps have yet to catch up), topographic shading etc etc. But I've been using a Garmin Legend C for several years and will stick to it until it breaks, or until the fancier 3D maps become more meaningful and useful for the Berg and other places. I'm not sure if they still sell Garmin Vista HCx's but that one always had good marks in my books. But if you do go for a simpler model, I can't say for sure if you'll wish you had something better within a few years..I'm not sure how fast map technology is going to change. That's something you may want to run by a knowledgeable sales consultant.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
30 Jul 2010 19:48 #1530 by HolymanSA
Replied by HolymanSA on topic GPS units
Been using a Garmin 60CSX for quite a while now. I find it to be very accurate and really helpful when in bad weather. I have used it on Kili and Elbrus too but more to get Altitude readings than anything else.

More
02 Aug 2010 22:28 #1542 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic GPS units
@ Mr PLOUW

A degree in rocket science and a battery charger.

Or just stick with a Map, your nose and a sense of Humour.
Its cheaper, and makes for better stories for years to come.

Try night hiking if you haven't before, that sure hones your skills up fast.

As long as you know you'r in the berg, and which way is UP, your not really ever lost are you?

More
03 Aug 2010 08:03 #1544 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic GPS units
@ SeriousTribe2

I have never hiked with a gps and find getting lost, quite exciting. :silly: i would like to do the GT one day and i believe a gps is almost a necessity then.

More
03 Aug 2010 12:33 #1549 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic GPS units
AND SO IS GETTING LOST MATE !!! ;)

Just think of all those poor OLD people who did the GT with a compass or a map or their noses.
Or all three if they were very lucky.

Keep heading South. If all else fails, turn LEFT.

Above all, keep it at the top of your priority list.

:woohoo:

More
15 Mar 2011 08:29 #2571 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic GPS units
I know that some would only consider using (at most)a magnetized needle resting on a leaf in a puddle of water to aid navigation. However, I'm looking for a little more than that. I posted GPS questions a while back, but never got around to getting one.

The GPSMAP 78 and 62 (not the s etc)are the units I've narrowed it down to. They seem to have what I "need".

What I would like to know is if anyone owns or has used either of these units?

Thanks in advance.

More