GPS units

16 Nov 2011 20:17 - 16 Nov 2011 20:19 #4876 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic GPS units
Oh, doing too many things at once, forgot to answer that. Be prepared for sore fingers, the buttons on the side of the GPS are hard and not very sensitive. Once you get that hang of capturing co-ords it becomes easy, but until then, its not logical, the manual also doesn't describe it well (if you get it I will see if I can do a better job of explaining how to do it). Not having a cord is annoying, but it doesn't destroy the usefulness of the device. If you can afford a better model that can use the USB cable, get the better model.

A useful feature it does have is that you can ask what the sunrise, sunset, moon phase, moon rise, moon set and best hunting/fishing time (not that I hunt or fish - other than hunting for Khulu's and fishing for unnamed peaks) for any GPS co-ord and it tells you. Although I assume all Garmin devices have this feature.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2011 20:19 by ghaznavid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2011 20:53 #4878 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic GPS units
Thanks again.

Hopefully I'll get some feedback on the eTrex 20 or 30, as I am more inclined towards one of these, especially for the connectivity with the cable.

More
17 Nov 2011 11:52 #4884 by Geordie
Replied by Geordie on topic GPS units
It's the GPSmap 62S for me.
Techshop dot co dot za offer a good deal.

It's got more than enough of whatever you need,
Drag and drop on the computer, seamless link to map source or base camp, and all that good stuff.

I don't do the feature thing but here what it did for me...

During a recent grand traverse it:
Tracked the entire event without any hang-ups or overwriting the buffer.
It held 4 downloaded tracks of the traverse for reference, all the point of interest waypoints, all the "escape route" tracks. Provided a night time entertainment by replaying the days elevation profile, got wet, got the face dragged across a rock, and, on economy mode, only wanted fresh batteries every 2.5 days.
Only problem is that it is so reliable that one tends to forsake the other tried and trusted like, good old map reading.

Oh yes, I have the SA topo map set installed, worth it, believe me.
It also works OK doing routes on the cars dash board, but it was not made for this and if this is you sole use then get a large screen nuvi??*&^ whatever.
Happy to discuss the matter but not to debate trivia please.

More
17 Nov 2011 17:26 #4889 by tonymarshall
Thanks for the response Geordie. I want to use a gps in a very similar way to you in the mountains only, but at this stage am still unfortunately looking at a gps less expensive than the GPSmap 62s.

I like your recommendation of the SA topo map set installation, and might ask for more info on this.

More
20 Nov 2011 19:18 #4918 by UnKnowN
Replied by UnKnowN on topic GPS units
I got myself the ETrex20 this weekend :-), so far it seems to be perfect for what I want/need. Planning to take my brother up chainladders (his first time) and across to Ifidi on the weekend. Reading on the back of the drakensberg maps, it says the map datum must be set to Cape, I assume that's correct for getting best use out of you GPS?
The following user(s) said Thank You: redhead

More
21 Nov 2011 07:26 #4921 by tonymarshall
I managed to find quite a lot of gps info on older threads on the forum, which has been a tremendous assistance in deciding which gps and add ons to get.

@ UnKnowN, I am also going to get a Garmin eTrex 20, and would appreciate any feedback you have after your chain ladders to Ifidi trip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UnKnowN

More
21 Nov 2011 08:13 #4924 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic GPS units
@ Unknown

Yes you are correct. If you don't set it to Cape datum you'll miss your spot with about 600m (?) in the Berg.

Have anyone ever tried the normal in-car-type GPS's in the berg?

Is there no dual purpose GPS available?

More
21 Nov 2011 09:02 #4927 by UnKnowN
Replied by UnKnowN on topic GPS units
Thanks Boerkie! That's a big help, it would have been rather frustrating if I got to the top to find my gps being out by that much!!

Will definitely give report back on it.

More
21 Nov 2011 10:55 #4929 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic GPS units

@Intrepid, I like your comments on the eTrex legend C, and have had a look at the eTrex legend HCx which is now becoming unavailable. Various websites indicate that this model is replaced by the eTrex 20 or eTrex 30, depending on which site you look at, although there is quite a price difference between the two. Does anyone know which of the eTrex 20 or 30 is the descendant of the eTrex legend HCx?

Not sure, have not been following all the latest stuff from Garmin, so curious to see what others are discovering in this regard. Evidentially my own unit is really becoming outdated, but it still does the job.

On the Cape datum: this is only important if you are measuring co-ordinates off the map and punching it into your unit. Most of the time my unit is on WGS84 and on the odd occasion that I need a co-ordinate from the paper maps, I do it by visual comparison (since I have the topographic layer), and even then the datums dont need to match. I heard talk a while back that the intention was to convert the hiking maps to WGS84, which makes sense.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
21 Nov 2011 14:59 #4931 by tonymarshall
Ja, I followed up on the specs of the eTrex 20 and 30, and the only significant difference I can find is that the 20 doesn't have a electronic compass or barometric altimeter, while the 30 does. I believe that the eTrex legend HCx didn't have these either (I may be wrong on this?) so i'm going to go with the eTrex 20, as I don't see a particular need for these features.

Something amusing from the previous older gps threads I looked at, is a comment by ST2 that the two requirements for using a gps are a degree in rocket science and a battery charger! :laugh: Too true.

More