GPS units

16 Mar 2011 10:44 - 16 Mar 2011 13:43 #2578 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic GPS units
There is a better way to using a needle on a leaf in the Berg these days: if you see smugglers, and they are carrying bags, then they are heading East. If empty bags, then they are heading West.

I don't know any of those GPS models. What matters to me in addition to the normal functions is being able to send and receive data to a computer, and being able to load IMG files / maps to the unit from a computer. If that is missing then the usefulness of your unit is more limited.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2011 13:43 by intrepid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2011 16:35 #2589 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic GPS units
:laugh: and I imagine they could draw. You a pretty good map too!
To my understanding both have that functionality, the main difference between the two (that I can see) is that the 78 accepts microSD cards (1.7 built in), floats, has a patch antenna and the buttons are above the screen. The 62 only has the 1.7 gigs built in, sinks, has a quad helix antenna and buttons below the screen. I see the 78 as "better" as it takes microSD and floats. They are the same price (in the States).

More
16 May 2011 10:10 #2877 by hasamatt
Replied by hasamatt on topic GPS units
Hi Guys,
I have questions regarding handheld GPS units. I am in the market to get a GPS, but I must admit that I don't have R5500 for a Garmin Oregon. It sure looks impressive on the Garmin & Cape Union Mart websites, but I think I could only afford something thats more basic, yet just as functional. What GPS's are you using? Do you necessarily need a unit with a huge colour lcd display that shows contour lines etc. Or is something like the eTrex just as suitable for accurately navigating your way through the valleys and gulleys of the drakensberg? Do the cheaper models allow you to record a 'bread crumb trail', and ultimately find your way to out of the way destinations?
I am just keen to know what you guys are using, how you use them, the things you do and don't like about them, and any other info on a good all-round model to choose when I go shopping.
Many thanks,
Matt

More
16 May 2011 11:01 #2880 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic GPS units
Hi Matt

I bought an E-trex H a few years ago as my first GPS, and am still using it today. All in all, as a basic entry level gps is does the job pretty well. It is very accurate, with a highly sensitive receiver, and is quite durable, as well as being decently waterproof. As far as I remember it was designed to be able to last about 30 minutes comletely submerged in water.

On the con side, the unit doesnt come with a pc cable, and after seeing that the cable's price was around R500 I decided it wouldnt be worth it. This means I have to manually enter all the waypoints using the hard rubber buttons, which is quite a mission if you have a whole lot to enter at once. I have tried the unit with the cheap eveready batteries, and they simply do not survive in cold weather, after about an hour the units dead. However with the more expensive longer lasting batteries, Ive been quite impressed with the battery life.

More
16 May 2011 12:18 #2882 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic GPS units
Anyone using a smartphone as gps unit? like an iphone or blackberry? just wondering out of interest how accurate they are? i suppose they also lack the software that a proper gps unit comes with.

More
16 May 2011 12:55 #2883 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic GPS units
I've recently started playing around using my Samsung Galaxy S with an app called "My Tracks", its pretty good for recording tracks then viewing on google earth. Theres also an app called "Maverick' which seems pretty good for navigating towards waypoints etc. I'm still waiting for the Google Earth app to be made available to SA, that will be awesome!

More
16 May 2011 16:55 #2888 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic GPS units
60csx everything you need and bullet proof they have been replaced now with a 60s which is even better.

More
16 May 2011 17:12 #2890 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic GPS units
I recently got a 62s. I've only used it twice and still getting to grips with Base Camp, but seems to have all one would generally need, comes with USB cable and can transfer wirelessly with compatible units. I've loaded the cave and pass gpx data from VE on to it, and trying to sort out scans of my berg maps to be able to use them as the base map ("custom maps" Garmin call it- anyone done this?). Also, found prices on line (in South Africa) were way better than the stores, although wasn't impressed with the service from the store I brought it from.

More
16 May 2011 18:45 #2894 by Shingi
Replied by Shingi on topic GPS units
The 62S is a great GPS. The mapsource or basecamp software that Garmin uses is superb. You can download track coordinates for almost 30 different passes from the website www.berg.co.za. Go to the section on passes and you can download them. Mapsource/basecamp allows you to show the route on the map. It can also show you the profile of the pass, how much of altitude gained over a certain distance. This helps to see which are the steep parts of the pass or how steep a pass this is. If you can buy the GPS from the online websites from the US you can pick up this gps for R 2500, however most if not all do not ship gps devices to SA. If you know someone travelling from the US to SA, you can ask them to bring back to SA.

More
17 May 2011 13:24 #2904 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic GPS units
On the issue of custom maps - I have played around with it on the Garmin Base Camp software and it works. Just don't have a compatable GPS to test it out on. The Google maps part is a bit tricky as you need to line your scaned map up with the land marks, and you are done.

More