Sleeping bag liners

25 Apr 2013 07:22 #56769 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Sleeping bag liners
Just to add my 2c to the clothes vs no clothes inside the sleeping bag debate:

Last year in Fangs Cave in late May, the minimum temp was about 4 degrees according to my watch (lying on the ground in the cave). I didn't have a mat with me so anticipated a cold night inside an FA Ice Nino (-5 or -8 rating IIRC). So I went to sleep wearing powerstretch tights, a down jacket and a balaclava. After being uncomfortably cold for a few hours, I removed the down jacket and used it as a pillow instead. Nice and toasty thereafter :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2013 21:04 #56809 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Sleeping bag liners
I agree with the clothing limitation in that too many layers can compress the loft / insulation. A layer of warm air is needed to make down effective. You encounter a similar issue if you wear too tight a shell over a down jacket.

My 2 cents worth on the bag liner testing is that a liner can definitely make a difference. Last winter I tested a Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite liner in winter Berg conditions. We slept in Crows Nest cave on ground sheets and light weight Thermarest mats. My sleeping bag is a North Face Blue Kazoo rated at -7 and I slept in light weight thermal longs.

The coldest temperature I recorded during the night is -3 so the test wasn't much of a test. I can say that the Thermolite which is made by Dupont creates instant warmth so there is no need to warm up the bag. This should be good news for woman who may struggle to generate initial warmth.

After an hour I was overheating and had to zip open the bag a bit. I had no way to measure the additional heat provided by the liner but I am confident in saying that it adds 5 degrees or more. The fit is also good as its sized quite large and has a lot of stretch to move with you inside the bag.

The only nit pic I have is that it's heavier than a silk liner. I can't recall the weight but you can check on the Sea to Summit website if you like. Overall I think its a good product that performs to spec and is worth a look.

Enjoy the mountains...

More
17 Jun 2013 11:49 - 17 Jun 2013 13:03 #57329 by Josh of the Bushveld
If anyone is interested they have polycotton liners at Mr Price Sport marked down from R 89 to R 20
Edit : it weighs 220 grams with the stuff sack. It's very compact too.

I've looked all over Joburg and haven't been able to find any silk liners at all. If you know of anywhere that stocks them please let me know. Otherwise I'll get one from the USA
Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 13:03 by Josh of the Bushveld.

More
19 Jun 2013 10:20 #57386 by ASL
Have you tried Sportsmans Warehouse? They sell First Ascent and Cape Storm stuff and I have a silk liner which I think is FA but may be Cape Storm...

More
19 Jun 2013 11:52 #57390 by Josh of the Bushveld
Tried everywhere, including:
Ventures for Africa (I think they have but their prices are ridiculous)
Drifters
CUM at Cresta, Rosebank, Sandton City, Greenstone, Woodmead etc etc
Outdoor and Sportsman's Warehouse, also Woodmead, Blackheath, StoneRidge etc
Due South
etc etc
Also looked online. Mammoth Outdoor had, but it appears they've closed down.
I've pretty much run out of places to look in Jo'burg (though I still need to
email the Sea To Summit distributer/agent)

More
19 Jun 2013 12:31 #57393 by ASL
You can get the Sea to Summit silk liners at www.mountainmailorder.co.za but they are R628... good product though

Andrew at Drifters is a gear junkie of note and may be able to advise you where to get one at a better price. Their no. is 011 7839200

More
19 Jun 2013 14:12 #57403 by Josh of the Bushveld
Thanks.
Last time I checked Drifters either didn't have or were very expensive.
At this stage I'm most likely going to get the Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner from Amazon for USD50, I'm just waiting to find someone coming from the US :)

More
01 Jul 2013 14:21 #57489 by Josh of the Bushveld
I finally managed to find a Sea To Summit silk liner at a non-ridiculous price (and bought it).
Now to use it...

More
01 Jul 2013 15:52 #57490 by ASL
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! ...thought a cheer was in order. Hope you enjoy it!

More
02 Jul 2013 07:18 #57499 by Josh of the Bushveld

ASL wrote: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! ...thought a cheer was in order. Hope you enjoy it!

Hahahaha, that's exactly the way I felt :) Thanks!

More