Sleeping bag liners

08 May 2021 08:33 - 08 May 2021 08:34 #76851 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Sleeping bag liners
Massive performance difference in the marketing department. For far fetched entertainment I prefer sci fi novels.
Last edit: 08 May 2021 08:34 by Carl Gebhard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2021 11:35 #76856 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Sleeping bag liners

I have a sea to summit dupont thermolite reactor that I bought in 2008 .they said it should give 5 to 7 degrees extra warmth. I know see that kway and first ascent are offering  thermolite heating liners for 799   and specs state it adds warmth  up to 15C more  once inserted in the bag. Is there any real performance  difference with my old sea to summit thermolite reactor  and these new thermolite heating liners sold at k way and first ascent that claim to make the bag 15 degrees warmer .my old thermolite sea to summit only claimed 5 to 7 degrees but the products look so similar .any explanations?are the new thermolitea using better quality materials etc? ..THANKS Ivan 
I hiked with 2 people this weekend that had the KWay liner meant to add 15 degrees, both agreed it was an extremely far fetched claim

More
10 May 2021 11:49 #76857 by ASL-Bivak#
Replied by ASL-Bivak# on topic Sleeping bag liners
I agree with false claims by Cape Union on their gear.. have experience the same with other items so stopped shopping there on technical items unless it's not an in house brand/ international brand with reliable specs. Saw someone's brand new Kway gaitors break on the first day they were used...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivan

More
10 May 2021 12:46 #76859 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Sleeping bag liners
Agreed with above sentiments. No ways it will add 15 degrees. I have the one that supposedly adds 8 or 9 degrees. It certainly helps to add warmth, but no way near these claimed degrees. It's like a thin blanket that closes up at the top. So, it will help to keep you warmer, but don't think you can use it in the place of a proper sleeping bag. I used it mainly to keep my sleeping bag clean but in the end stopped using it altogether as my TNF Blue Kazoo is mostly ok for berg conditions. Carrying an extra 500g or more for a degree or two isn't worth it IMHO. Rather get a proper sleeping bag to begin with.

More
10 May 2021 13:11 #76862 by ASL-Bivak#
Replied by ASL-Bivak# on topic Sleeping bag liners
agreed, so on that note I have the lighter version that weighs less that 300gm and it's very effective at trapping air and does make a difference so I'd say get the lightest option but as Riaan says don't expect it to add as much heat as a sleeping bag layer would

More
10 May 2021 13:32 #76863 by ivan
Replied by ivan on topic Sleeping bag liners
thanks  i  am very sceptical of all these  claims as well 

More
10 May 2021 13:37 #76864 by ivan
Replied by ivan on topic Sleeping bag liners
ive  had the first ascent   ice breaker bag since 2004 which  seems to have coped rather well  on top of the Berg. its been well used and  looked after  .Any  idea how long do these  down bags  last if used  say ten days a year?  i find  the bag  also  works well with  a  R  rated  air  mattress  of at  least 4

More
10 May 2021 16:18 #76865 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sleeping bag liners
I agree with the above - a 15C warmth benefit is great marketing, but inconsistent with reality.

I think the 5-8C claims are relative to no sleeping bag and at temperatures of around 15C, where they would probably add about that. Basically just a light blanket. The primary purpose of a bag liner is keeping your sleeping bag clean, warmth is secondary if you consider warmth-to-weight ratio.

Any specific number benefit would be relative in any case - adding 15 degrees at 0C is far easier than adding 5 degrees at -40C.

More
10 May 2021 22:34 #76866 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Sleeping bag liners
I have a Thermolite inner, been in the cupboard for years, I can't remember when I last used it, that's how I rate it. Save your bucks. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

More
11 May 2021 07:45 #76867 by GetaPix
Replied by GetaPix on topic Sleeping bag liners
Agreed. Im still trying to get an affordable silk liner at +_100-200g purely for Hygiene. I went all out on spending my money for weight to temp rating trying to get the lightest bag for the best warmth as needed in the Berg for SA ratings. Be sure to make the right decision on the bag and it will last you a lifetime.

More