Sleeping bag liners

19 Jul 2015 14:44 #64582 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Sleeping bag liners

Josh of the Bushveld wrote: I finally managed to find a Sea To Summit silk liner at a non-ridiculous price (and bought it).
Now to use it...

Hi Josh
How much does it add in terms of warmth to the Lite K-way bag?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2015 09:38 #64586 by Josh of the Bushveld
I don't think it adds much warmth TBH, I bought it more to protect the bag, and chose silk because its lighter and packs up smaller (than cotton or synthetics)

More
23 Jul 2015 14:42 #64640 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Sleeping bag liners
FYI... I made an interesting discovery while in the USA last week. The temp ratings on sleeping bags are interpreted as follows:

comfort = temperature comfortable for a female
limit = temperature comfortable for a male
extreme = temperature at which a woman should survive before getting hypothermia (only for 6 hrs!)

:woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, tonymarshall, Captain, Josh of the Bushveld

More
23 Jul 2015 16:20 #64643 by Josh of the Bushveld
Very interesting, thanks!

More
27 Jul 2015 11:30 #64662 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Sleeping bag liners
ASL is quite correct; another interesting factoid is that the EN13537 sleeping bag rating standard only applies to sleeping bags with a limit rating (ie comfortable for an adult man) above 0degF (-18degC); not a major consideration unless you're shopping for a winter escarpment bag. What does need to be considered though is that while many manufacturers use the EN rating system, they do not always make it clear whether they are quoting the limit or extreme rating, or even the comfort rating in the case of a sleeping bag specifically designed for women. You'd be wise to be check before you liberate your hard earned cash.

make a difference. today.

More
14 Sep 2015 18:49 - 14 Sep 2015 18:50 #65084 by Papa Dragon
Not sure if this post should be here, or under the K-way extreme Lite post.
Mods, please move if necessary.
Lower Injasuti Cave, 12/9/2015
Groundsheet- 360*Thermal Emergency blanket- 335g
Mattress- K-way compact self inflating- 578g
Sleeping bag- K-way extreme lite 500 bag- 470g
Liner- Sea to Summit Reactor liner- 248g
I also took a sheet of some sort of coated nylon, 340g.
It was very misty and damp, and I covered the whole lot with the nylon sheet before I got into bed.
After I had been in the bag for a while, there was condensation between the sleeping bag and the coated nylon, so I took the top sheet off.
I wore only boxers for the whole night, (and buff and beanie).
Minimum temperature went to 8.4. I was very comfortable the whole night, and never felt cool.
Interested to see what temperature will be comfortable in that set-up, and what effect thermals will have.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2015 18:50 by Papa Dragon.

More
11 Jan 2016 19:31 #66402 by Papa Dragon
On our 2-nighter to Vaalribokkop cave, I took the k-way Extreme Lite 500, a very light ripstop inner which probably has hardly any thermal value, and a bivy bag.
The temperature was not extremely cold, but the wind blew on both evenings, and there was a considerable chill factor.
On the first night I slept in just the bag and the inner, and boxers, thermal top and beanie, and I got cold until the wind dropped, and then was fine.
On the second night I used the same as above, but in the bivy bag as well. I was toasty warm, and woke up at about 12 (I think) and the wind had dropped. There was a fair bit of moisture between the sleeping bag and bivy bag, I got out of the bivy bag and used just the sleeping bag and liner. Warm for the rest of the night.

PS Are these sort of posts helpful, or irrelevant and unnecessary?

More
11 Jan 2016 21:48 #66404 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Sleeping bag liners
Thanks Papa D.

I for one am still building my understanding of what works/is needed for optimum Berg hiking in light of the range of conditions likely to be encountered, and have found your in-field reports useful. I do think each of us is different in our ability to keeping warm, and use your assessments as a guide rather than a target.

Did you measure any temps during the two nights?

Some pics of your k-way Extreme Light bag (TC 12C/ TL 8C/ TE 2C), bivy and liner may also be useful.

make a difference. today.

More
11 Jan 2016 22:26 - 26 Mar 2016 15:01 #66405 by Papa Dragon
Hi Andrew
Unfortunately I did not measure any temps i was on a light quest for this hike!!
I would estimate upper single digits but with a wind chill though.

Here's the bivy bag: www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/44-gear/295-bivvy-bags.html?start=20#65650

The Extreme Lite bag: www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-extreme-lite-500-down-sl

The inner is the same shape as the bivy bag, made of very light ripstop nylon, and with a half zip down one side. weighs 111g, more to keep the bag clean than for any thermal value.

Of course this is just speculation, but I think I would not have been cold with the Sea to Summit Reactor liner.

Cheers
Papa D
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 15:01 by Papa Dragon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More