Manxome Pass

22 Oct 2007 00:44 - 25 Jul 2008 19:33 #5 by intrepid
Manxome Pass was created by intrepid
I've had a bit of discussion with several hikers about the prominent but unnamed pass clearly visible across from Mweni Pass. It is a magnificent, steep, grass gulley topping out near the summit of Pins Pass at the co-ordinate S28 53.475 E28 58.859 (WGS84). Access from the bottom is a little further up from Chichi Bush Camp and the start of Pins Pass. Following the river is a little tricky because of waterfalls, and so traversing on the true left sloped a little higher up is easier.

It is named "Manxsome Pass" in http://www.geocities.com/supertraverse/ where a detailed description is also given.

I know that people have climbed it and it is not "new" as such.
Please feel free to supply any information which you may have on it, and share if you have climbed it and/or named it.

It would be great if we could agree on a name for it.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2008 19:33 by intrepid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2008 17:34 #106 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Manxome Pass
We're the party that named it Manxsome Pass some years ago - it's from the poem Jabberwocky and I think we even misspelled it originally... :unsure:

Definitely one of my favourite berg passes - steep, sustained and spectacular!

More
25 Jul 2008 19:41 #107 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Manxome Pass
Glad you responded on that one - now I understand where the name came from. The main problem people have had with it is that they don't understand where the name came from. Thus far it is the only name I have come across and one which I do use. The guys in the Mweni that I have asked so far do not have a name for it.

Since Mweni-enthusiasts are aware of it I'm wondering if there is another name floating out there and if we could agree on a name which everyone will use.

It is a worthy pass indeed.

More
28 Jul 2008 10:10 #110 by Stijn
I realise it doesn't really fit in with the rest of Drakensberg naming conventions using mostly traditional names. But the poem Jabberwocky is about slaying a dragon and the line it comes from is as follows:

"He took his vorpal sword in hand; Long time the manxome foe he sought..."

To give it a local flavour, why don't we pronounce it with a click on the "x" - now that will confuse the hell out of people :laugh:

More
01 Aug 2008 10:16 #112 by intrepid
Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English defines "manxome" as an adjective meaning "fearsome".

I've included a picture of the pass to liven up the discussion on it.

This image is hidden for guests.

Anyone else got a say on it?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
08 Apr 2010 08:27 #1092 by Stijn
Hey Intrepid - just thought I'd create a thread for you to post a report on your recent trip :laugh:

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on Manxome Pass!

More
08 Apr 2010 13:57 - 08 Apr 2010 14:04 #1096 by intrepid
Gee thanks Stijn :laugh: , I was thinking of putting in a few comments for you anyway!

Manxome certainly belongs to the array of fine Mnweni classics. Lovely pass, thoroughly enjoyed it! The grass gully certainly is on the steep side, but what makes it a challenge is the length - just carries on and on! We did see the 2700m viewpoint as well as the cave you mention in your write-up.

On a previous trip to the area I had scouted the base. I had spotted an alternative approach to get into the actual pass. We tried this - had a few moments where we thought we might get stuck, but it paid off! From ChiChi Bush Camp, we got onto the true left (northern) banks of the river and headed straight up onto the knife ridge separating Pins and Manxome. Just at the right place, at almost 2500m, we managed to find access into Manxome from the ridge. Clambering up this ridge is absolutely spectacular, from am aesthetic perspective and because of the views. Its very steep, hands are needed at times, and one also traverses very steep slopes. The advantage of it is that one completely bypasses the waterfall and the nasty bush at the bottom of the pass. The alternative approach is indicated in the pic below taken on a previous trip.

This image is hidden for guests.

The pass certainly should be recognised more. But wouldn't want it becoming too popular - the conspicuous absence of trails, erosion, cairns, litter and toilet paper was one of the things we really enjoyed about it.

Just for the sake of collecting all the info in one place, the thread below also discusses Manxome:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/5-un-named-pass-between-mweni-and-pins.html

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Apr 2010 14:04 by intrepid.

More
08 Apr 2010 18:39 #1100 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Manxome Pass
I ascended Manxsome Pass with Intrepid's group on the weekend. It was only my second Berg hike, so my personal challenges included the elementary and minor irretations of a beginner, such as a pack that chaffed at my shoulders and sore feet (and dreaming about chicken dinners). Certainly this pass isn't for the faint-hearted, as it's a long one. There are exposed narrow slopes on the route that we started out on, so caution must be taken. But it was an awesome re-introduction to the Berg for me, and I made it up just fine. As Intrepid has commented, it was a joy to experience a pass without rubbish, or a trail for that matter. Our plan was to come down Fangs, but we ended up changing that to Rockeries because of adjustments to our route due to the weather. I look forward to Fangs another trip.

More
08 Apr 2010 18:54 #1103 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Manxome Pass
That looks very long and steep, how long did it take from the bottom of the pass to the top?

More
09 Apr 2010 07:19 #1106 by Stijn
Looks like a good alternative - scrambling on ridges always gives a great feeling of exposure :)

More